Sponsored

Factory Ordering a Sport S, What Should I Cut?

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
Here's my dream Sport-S config ($42k):

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...DA,TQJ,WF9,A7,UAQ,AEK,AJ1,AAN,RC4,AJB,GXD,22S

Upgrades include:

- half doors
- 8.4 in screen
- remote key
- safety group

Here's the bare minimum features I could live with ($36k):

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...C1,DFT,DLK,Z1H,SDA,TQJ,WF9,A7,UAG,AAN,RC4,22S

- no half doors
- standard screen
- no remote key
- no safety group

I am torn, because while I really want all the additional features, I'm not convinced they're all worth $6k.

Gun to your head, what features would you cut, given these two configs? Is there anything you got in this list that you're unhappy with?
IMO... I view a Jeep differently than I do trucks and cars. When it comes to Jeeps, it can take you off road to places where your life may depend on the strength and integrity of the Jeep. Don't skimp on the features that give you confidence.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I would skip the factory LEDs. They are terrible. Go with the Oracle LEDs.

I would also skip the screen upgrades and go with the Insane Audio unit. Much better bang for the buck. The stock unconnect 4 stuff is garbage. I've seen nothing but complaints.

Get the tow package and the aux switches. Definitely the LSD. Get the color you want.

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Can you easily add OEM half doors later?

Are there other features here that are way more annoying to add after-the-fact? Maybe it's best to prioritize that way? Things that are easy to add after its created vs ones that are a PITA to add later.
Forget about adding a larger screen later; it’s very expensive If you don’t order right from the start. I’m upgrading my sounds which will cost much more than just getting the Alpine system. Dont know how easy it would be to add OEM doors later. Nothing is easy after delivery. Best plan is to bite the bullet and order what you want now,

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
The 8.4 screen can go, I only use mine for the Offroad pages.
Get a cheap 10" android tablet and you'll be way happier, Gaia maps, Google maps, and all the music you want.
With the 8.4 screen you cant access map features while the vehicle is in motion.

Sponsored

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I bought a fully loaded 2021 Rubicon after driving a 1999 Ford Superduty for 15 years. My opinion is....if your spending a significant amount of money for a Jeep or any new vehicle buy exactly what you want. If you “strip” your Jeep of good options you’ve wasted money.

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I would personally cut the safety group and remote key.

i understand the half doors are expensive. I would get them…

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Here's my dream Sport-S config ($42k):

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...DA,TQJ,WF9,A7,UAQ,AEK,AJ1,AAN,RC4,AJB,GXD,22S

Upgrades include:

- half doors
- 8.4 in screen
- remote key
- safety group

Here's the bare minimum features I could live with ($36k):

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...C1,DFT,DLK,Z1H,SDA,TQJ,WF9,A7,UAG,AAN,RC4,22S

- no half doors
- standard screen
- no remote key
- no safety group

I am torn, because while I really want all the additional features, I'm not convinced they're all worth $6k.

Gun to your head, what features would you cut, given these two configs? Is there anything you got in this list that you're unhappy with?
- 8.4 in screen
- remote key
- safety group

It's what I did.

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Keep the stuff you want and is too much of a pain to add later. I.e. for you that would be safety group and proximity entry.

You can buy half doors, the bigger infotainment, and even remote start, but it sounds like half doors may be worth it for you up front since the cost difference to add it vs retail is pretty large.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Any strong opinions on the half doors? Are there good cheaper after market ones or are the OEM ones the way to go?
From what I'm seeing, I'd go with the factory half doors for sure. Who knows how long Bestop is gonna take on their Core doors, and the soft doors Bestop offers have received largely poor reviews. Other than that you're looking at tube and trail doors that aren't going to give you cover from the elements, especially on a moment's notice.

I wish those of us already with our jeeps could order the OEM half doors.

Sponsored

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Probably don't want me to answer this one.... I went with a 2 door, roll up windows, manual locks, small screen, soft top, and manual tranny. I am around tech all day at work and it is a refreshing change to get away from it all when in the Jeep....

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Probably don't want me to answer this one.... I went with a 2 door, roll up windows, manual locks, small screen, soft top, and manual tranny. I am around tech all day at work and it is a refreshing change to get away from it all when in the Jeep....
That's my JK. Went a little crazy on the JLR, but love that simple jeep.

One thing that's great, it never breaks!

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Forget about adding a larger screen later; it’s very expensive If you don’t order right from the start. I’m upgrading my sounds which will cost much more than just getting the Alpine system. Dont know how easy it would be to add OEM doors later. Nothing is easy after delivery. Best plan is to bite the bullet and order what you want now,
Adding an 8.4" radio to one with 7" is a 10 min job provided you have the unlock code and bezel. if you're referring to the actually Alpine audio, yea I wouldn't want to mess with that aftermarket and if that's a concern a would add it to the order.

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Adding an 8.4" radio to one with 7" is a 10 min job provided you have the unlock code and bezel. if you're referring to the actually Alpine audio, yea I wouldn't want to mess with that aftermarket and if that's a concern a would add it to the order.
Please tell me more? Get it from dealer?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Please tell me more? Get it from dealer?
You can from the dealer or a couple other websites but I think most people, including myself, just pick up a used one from Craigslist or another forum member. You need the 4 digit unlock code (which they need to get from the dealer) and the bezel. There's a couple minor issues like the LTE won't work but there's another huge thread on that somewhere.

I got one from another member here in the below section:

Audio, Video, Communications, Electronics | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com
Sponsored