Sponsored

Factory LED taillights to aftermarket LED taillights.

Wormdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Hello. I’m new here but I have an issue and I haven’t been able to find too much about it when searching.
I have a 2021 JLU that came with factory LED taillights. I wanted smoked taillights so I ordered a set of smoked LED taillights. Installation was easy, they work great, look great. However, I get a message on my dash now that says my turn signal lights are out. I understand that most folks are upgrading halogen taillights to LED and there are programmers to change to LED but I am going from LED to LED. Any help to clear the message on the dash is appreciated.

-Eric
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If you swap LED to LED, you may need to modify because they are setup for a Halogen to LED swap.

Oracle's note on theirs:
The ORACLE #5852 LED Tail lights are designed to fit the 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL without the factory LED package. If you have the factory LED tail lights you will have to make modifications such as removing the Load Equalizer and swapping over the sensors.

rjazorx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
Which set of smoked tail lights did you get? A lot of the aftermarket ones come with resistors to fix the hyper flash issue when replacing stock halogen tail lights. Since you are going from Led to aftermarket LED (basically wired to simulate your standard halogen bulb), you would either need to:

1) use a programmer like j-scan or a tazer to set the tail lamps to halogens

or

2) Remove the resistor and see if that solves the issue

OP
OP
Wormdingo

Wormdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which set of smoked tail lights did you get? A lot of the aftermarket ones come with resistors to fix the hyper flash issue when replacing stock halogen tail lights. Since you are going from Led to aftermarket LED (basically wired to simulate your standard halogen bulb), you would either need to:

or

I just ordered the tazer jl mini so I will try that before I try to remove the resistor. Thanks!

OP
OP
Wormdingo

Wormdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you swap LED to LED, you may need to modify because they are setup for a Halogen to LED swap.

Oracle's note on theirs:
The ORACLE #5852 LED Tail lights are designed to fit the 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL without the factory LED package. If you have the factory LED tail lights you will have to make modifications such as removing the Load Equalizer and swapping over the sensors.
I am going to try the tazer jl mini to see if I can remove the message. If that doesn’t work, I will try to remove the resistor from the aftermarket lights. Thanks!

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Wormdingo if your new lights have resistors and your JL originally was set up for LED then your new lights with resistors are causing the error message as the CANBUS needs to see a certain voltage and your new ones with the resistors are showing more than what is programmed for voltage, I would try setting the Tazer to non LED as when you do your system will want to see the higher voltage.

The one caveat is I’m not sure if the new Tazer software allows you to set just the rears to non LED, I know JSCAN does as that’s what I use but then JSCAN allows you to set those pesky error messages to off.

I would try a few software tweaks before cutting off resistors IMHO

OP
OP
Wormdingo

Wormdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Wormdingo if your new lights have resistors and your JL originally was set up for LED then your new lights with resistors are causing the error message as the CANBUS needs to see a certain voltage and your new ones with the resistors are showing more than what is programmed for voltage, I would try setting the Tazer to non LED as when you do your system will want to see the higher voltage.

The one caveat is I’m not sure if the new Tazer software allows you to set just the rears to non LED, I know JSCAN does as that’s what I use but then JSCAN allows you to set those pesky error messages to off.

I would try a few software tweaks before cutting off resistors IMHO
I will give it a try. I should hopefully receive the Tazer tomorrow and will hopefully be able to install it this weekend. I was looking at the tazer user guide and it does look like the taillights setting is independent of the front turn signal setting. See below.

• change headlight type (Std/LED)
• change fog light type (Std/LED) List of Vehicle Settings 3
• change taillight type (Std/LED)/delete sensor circuit for running aftermarket lights
• change front turn signal type (std/LED)/ delete sensor circuit for running aftermarket lights

OP
OP
Wormdingo

Wormdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

or

kiwi master

OP
OP
Wormdingo

Wormdingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I installed the Tazer JL Mini. Awesome little module!! But… I reprogrammed the taillights to halogens and then back to LEDs, the turn signal lights out message persisted. Next, I took the taillights out and removed the load equalizers…the signal out message persisted still. I then tried to program the taillights to halogens and back to LEDs again and THEN the turn signal lights out message finally cleared and has not returned. So I’m guessing that since my Jeep came with factory LED taillights, I don’t need the load equalizers. Thank you all for all your help!​

rjazorx

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
So, I installed the Tazer JL Mini. Awesome little module!! But… I reprogrammed the taillights to halogens and then back to LEDs, the turn signal lights out message persisted. Next, I took the taillights out and removed the load equalizers…the signal out message persisted still. I then tried to program the taillights to halogens and back to LEDs again and THEN the turn signal lights out message finally cleared and has not returned. So I’m guessing that since my Jeep came with factory LED taillights, I don’t need the load equalizers. Thank you all for all your help!​
Glad you got it resolved!
Sponsored