www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
All you guys doing it in your ‘21s don’t know the pain of running the halo wire to the BCM in a 2018. I got it working, but only after laying upside down in the front passenger seat with my arms over my head up into the glovebox area.

Lucky bastids. 🤣
You definitely earned the MacGyver badge for the effort :). I would have lived with the halogens before doing that. Hats off.
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Thanks Dennis. Yeh, here out west it’s a real thing. Having seen far too much of it in my driving it’s always horrible. I was T-boned by a doe a few years back. As she slid down the side of the car after denting my front left quarter panel, her head lopped off my driver’s side rear view mirror. She got up and ran off. I’ve taken to avoiding driving after dark if possible. But when you have to, you have to. Bull bars are on my list of next things
Loud pipes save lives.
I've hit deer in the past, since I've started doing exhaust mods I haven't seen them come close.
*knocks on wood*
I know it's not for everybody, but I love the sound of the V6 when you let it sing.
Great info the for the LED swap, thanks.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Thanks for the detailed information! I'll be doing this upgrade eventually.

Hopefully my local dealership has educated themselves a bit since speaking to them earlier this year about this swap. I asked them for parts pricing and for them to do all of it. Their response, " they aren't available through us. You'll need to buy aftermarket LED headlights". I showed them the headlights and part numbers directly from Mopar.com. I even asked them to call me with pricing and try to schedule installation and everything. Never heard a peep out of them. Definitely will install myself and go from there.

OP
OP
jbcrane

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed information! I'll be doing this upgrade eventually.

Hopefully my local dealership has educated themselves a bit since speaking to them earlier this year about this swap. I asked them for parts pricing and for them to do all of it. Their response, " they aren't available through us. You'll need to buy aftermarket LED headlights". I showed them the headlights and part numbers directly from Mopar.com. I even asked them to call me with pricing and try to schedule installation and everything. Never heard a peep out of them. Definitely will install myself and go from there.
It’s easy to do yourself. And when you walk in to your dealer with the Mopar installation instructions, complete with codes and how to enter them, there’s not much that can go wrong. Good luck.

Hunter552

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Question for the way more experienced Jeep crew. I've owned my '20 Willys JLU for almost a year now. It came with the LED headlights, tail lights and fog light option. However, it has the amber DRL turn signals and side markers. I assume these are non-LED. I'd like to swap in the factory white LED DRLs I see on a lot of new JL Wranglers. Can I just swap them or will this require a dealer flash? The original thread seemed to indicate there is an LPY code that enables the Halos and LED side markers. Would mine already have this code? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the way more experienced Jeep crew. I've owned my '20 Willys JLU for almost a year now. It came with the LED headlights, tail lights and fog light option. However, it has the amber DRL turn signals and side markers. I assume these are non-LED. I'd like to swap in the factory white LED DRLs I see on a lot of new JL Wranglers. Can I just swap them or will this require a dealer flash? The original thread seemed to indicate there is an LPY code that enables the Halos and LED side markers. Would mine already have this code? Any help is appreciated.
Factory LED DRLs will not fit Willys flares.
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Halogen to OEM LED Headlights Swap - What I Learned D30B8801-A67C-4F09-9438-FFF5714CCDCA
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Halogen to OEM LED Headlights Swap - What I Learned AA27F15D-B0C3-4B07-B805-674D6D0A1D94

Hunter552

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Factory LED DRLs will not fit Willys flares.
Ok now i'm really curious. So the Willy's flares are different than Sports, Sahara's, etc. (obviously Rubicons are different)? What options do I have? I really want to change the amber DRLs. They look ugly to me with the LEDs.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok now i'm really curious. So the Willy's flares are different than Sports, Sahara's, etc. (obviously Rubicons are different)? What options do I have? I really want to change the amber DRLs. They look ugly to me with the LEDs.
Sahara and Rubicons have same lighting options. Most switch bulbs to LED switchback type. Some recommend these but other options out there.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/switc...Fw3V_Oh7wZMnXoL7MWPkjxZweGyXohFoaAjqbEALw_wcB

https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...t-turn-signal-drl-switchback-7443ck-bulb-pair

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
After having spent the last month+ working through the rather confusing topic of swapping my stock halogens for the Mopar LED and Fog Light Group, the issue was finally resolved today with a second trip to my (great) dealer. I think I've read through every thread I could find on the topic on this forum and others, and even reached out personally to a few individuals for clarification. My hope is only that this information will help someone coming after me who may face the same issues/questions.

I have a '21 Sport S Unlimited and the LED group was the one thing this guy didn't have that I planned to swap out from the beginning. I know there are other after market lighting solutions out there, but for better or worse I'm an OEM kind of guy and the lights had to be the production LED head lamps. I also bought an extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle and am up front with my dealer with any questions or concerns regarding warranty.

I purchased the Mopar LED Headlight kit (part number: 82215136AE) from BAM at a price of $749.25, free shipping UPS ground, and the LED fog lamp kit for another $224 plus $8 shipping USPS. The headlights arrived in a large box containing two individual boxes, each with one head lamp 'suspended' between two plastic sheets to avoid impact damage. They were very well packed, even against UPS' rather unkind treatment of packages. The LED Fog lamps were packed well enough in a smaller box and sent in the mail with no damage.

After receiving the lights I did a little research and determined that even someone like me (not a mechanic, but I do the best I can) could probably put them in. Before doing so, though, I made a trip to my dealer with the Mopar part number and my VIN number and had them double check they would work. Confirming they would, I then asked if installing them myself would damage my warranty. "No, as long as they are installed properly," was the reply. Installing the LED headlamps was easy. The many-page instructions were clear - most pages pertaining to the additional wire harness running to the BCM - WHICH YOU DO NOT NEED WITH A '21 VEHICLE. So you remove the front grill assembly, unbolt three bolts holding each halogen lamp assembly in, unplug the harness, fasten the same connector to the LED plug then bolt the new LED assemblies in. Super easy. The fog lights were actually more difficult than the head lamps because of the Sport's front pieces between the fender and bumper, and the fasteners used to hold them in place (but that's another topic)

Once everything was installed I turned on the Jeep and things seemed to be working. Fog lamps produced light, headlamps produced light on low-beams, but high-beams there was a sharp cut-off at the bottom half of the illuminated field - the road in front is completely dark, but the horizon is illuminated. Clearly not right. Off to the dealer we go for the planned flash.

There are two codes the dealer needs to add to your VIN as a "dealer installed option" through their software: LPX for the LED headlamps, and LNV for the LED Fog Lamps. During the first dealer flash - for whatever reason only the LNV code for fog lights was added. When I got the Jeep back there were still no halos, and my high beams were behaving exactly the same as they had before: strong illumination at top of range, complete darkness on bottom. So a second trip to the dealer revealed the problem: for what ever reason the LPX code for the headlamps had not been entered. Once this code was entered, along with LNV for fog lamps, everything worked perfectly. Halos, high-beams, fog lamps, everything. It's a beautiful sight.

There is a third code, LPY that enables the Halo lamps, but is intended for LED side marker lights too and causes problems with the non-LED side marker package that comes standard on my Sport S. When they add this code the blinker indicators on the dash freak out. Removing the code fixed the issue. The dealer flash cost $138 ($120 plus $18 shop fee), bringing my LED package total to $1,119.25 - actually just below the $1,145 currently listed on the Jeep web site build ap.

Was it worth it? Without a doubt, heck yeh - absolutely. There's a significant difference between halogen and LED. I do a lot of highway driving, often times at night. Especially in the mountains, and throughout the West and Midwest, deer on the road are the single biggest reason for me to throw as much light ahead as possible, and the main reason for the swap. I believe that anything that can be done should be done to reduce the chances of hitting deer on the road. Not just for you and your's sake, but the deer's sake too.

My dealer (Fort Collins Jeep) was and is great to work with. Yes, it took two trips to get it right. But it's not a super common thing yet and they were figuring it out too. They were super accommodating, helpful and easy to work with. I couldn't be happier with them, my lights or my Wrangler. There was of course no charge for the second trip to reflash.

One more thing about JSCAN, TAZRS, etc. I read a lot about others taking this approach. If the dealer flash didn't work for some reason it was perhaps a backup plan. But in keeping with the OEM/Dealer/Warranty-honoring ethos, my strong desire was to keep the whole project with nothing to hide, no questions and within bounds, so to speak.

So for anyone else out there who finds this thread because they are thinking of doing the same thing, hopefully this will help clear up confusion. Much depends on the year of your Wrangler, and (I think) to a lesser extent the trim level. My '21 Sport S has the 4th wire running to the plug from the harness so I hoped it would work. It did, and I did not need to install the extra harness provided in the kit. This is my first Jeep and I've already done more on it in the first 4 months of ownership than any other car in my many years. So tearing my fender off and plugging wires into the control module was just a little out of my comfort zone. I know some of you guys can do it with your eyes closed. Not me....

Hope this helps.
Peace, JBC
Almost $1,000 to upgrade the headlights?

Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Almost $1,000 to upgrade the headlights?
To be fair, that $1000 doesn't just upgrade the headlights and foglights from halogen to LED. He got the original "factory option" version of the LED Headlamps (withLED bulbs, and its unique headlight assembly that includes the halo daytime running lights) and his VIN is registered as having those LED options as dealer-installed.

For my 2021 Wrangler JLUR, I went to Amazon and purchased the list of LED bulbs suggested by robinja. I installed them in my Wrangler, and everything worked just fine out of the box. I did not have to have the dealer or a Tazer JL Mini input the code which tells my Jeep that I switched to LED bulbs. But let's be honest, I don't have the halo daytime running lights, and my VIN still shows that I have the stock halogen bulbs. The upside here is that I only forked out about $100 to Amazon.

In the end, what direction you choose can be a combination of what you know (originally, I managed to falsely convince myself I had to install a whole new headlamp assembly to get the LED lights), what parts you want to use (Mopar, third party), what your ultimate goal is (I like the Halo DLR, and I like having my VIN showing LED lamps as dealer installed, but neither one was a must-have), and how much you're willing to pay for those things (I was unwilling to pay a premium for either).

$1,000 wasn't a wrong choice for a headlight and fog light LED upgrade. I think he got much better results than I did for $100. That $900 different may or may not be worth it to you. And in the middle, you're going to find all sorts of third party LED headlight assemblies with different layouts that look quite cool.

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Question about potential upgrade fitment of the DRL on the 2021 Sport S... Without the painted flares, can you fit the LED DRL in the stock non painted flares or is it the same comment as not fitting like the Willys flares?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Question about potential upgrade fitment of the DRL on the 2021 Sport S... Without the painted flares, can you fit the LED DRL in the stock non painted flares or is it the same comment as not fitting like the Willys flares?
The OEM LED DRLs will not fit Sport flares. They only fit Sahara and Rubicon Flares.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I have a 2021. So basically plug and play to the factory harness and dealer re-flash?

Seems real easy.
Sponsored