Sponsored

Factory Half Doors: Paint Color Matching Issues?

dark_star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys Sport w/ Half Doors
Has anyone with a recent build (since mid-2021) experienced issues with paint matching between the half doors and the body?

I am interested in getting them along with a Sting-Gray JLU but have seen some unfortunate pics of half doors in that color several shades off. I know they are manufactured separately and likely not QC'd with the Jeep before delivery, so chances are decent that the paint won't match. They must not all be that bad, right? I'd love to see some GOOD examples!
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Good question, I'll be ordering half doors too.

Myself, I've worked on/assembled the door line in car plants.. Its a crazy setup! The doors are painted on the cars then when it gets to the door line they are removed. The carrier holds 4 doors and as its traveling with the drivers side the right side of the carrier gets those while the left side is empty. Now the passenger side doors are going on a totally different carrier. That carrier will already have 2 drivers side doors hanging on it. So say your jeep is white, it could have green drivers side doors hanging on its right side. Your drivers side door carrier will loop around and pick up the passenger side doors from a jeep 30 cars down the line. This carrier would have your white drivers side doors on it but could have red passenger side doors.
The doors then go to another part of the plant to get glass and interior trim while the car gets its dash and interior installed. When everything is installed the door line meets back up with the body and the exact doors that came off go back on the same car they came from. Its crazy and fascinating to see!
But those doors going back on the same car were for that color match reason. Now how and when the half doors are painted idk?
That's how GM did it.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I love the half doors, but 2 sets of doors from the factory is such a dumb idea. It makes me think there's some part of the plant with a shitton of half doors being assembled, and someone's says "gimme the green ones" and the monkeys paint it green, then box em up.

It's CLEAR there's no good QC process. One set of doors whether half or whole is a better idea.

But obviously they saw this an an opportunity to get $5000 MORE dollars out of us, and didn't thoroughly think through their cunning plan.

Not that anyone seems to care...

I don't think I answered any questions you asked...you should get the doors and take a chance.

XBLADEX

First Name
Marq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Ripp
Take a chance. I got mine and well worth it, EXCEPT!!!.....I have a talent for quality control and would not ignore poor job and low quality. So, all doors including half doors were painted poorly. Some have over sprayed, some have no paint down to the metal especially door jambs. Parts of the hood are the same and inside engine bay where the sides are connected to the side fenders are poorly done. Some paint chip all over the vehicle and the gorrilla glass has deep scratch at the middle where you can't see unless the sun hits it or an angle. Please, check your vehicle whenever you get it. Mass amount of people have no idea or lazy to complain, or just don't care. Chrysler will never know if no one complains about it. If it's under warranty, let them fix the problem and make it right. This is a big deal and can affect the company. So, I called my dealer and send a letter to Chrysler. They will fix everything under manufacturer's standard. They gave me a rental and almost everyday Chrysler themselves called me to let me know the status and how am i doing? I'm actually trying to find a lawyer/attorney on why Chrysler would release a vehicle with such poor quality. Even the body shop and dealer never seen this much of poor quality. Make it right or more companies out there will assume nothing is wrong unless someone says something. The funny part about it is you won't notice it unless you really look at it and know what you're looking for. The dealer will clean the vehicle, make it nice and shiny , then you're too busy with your excitement and forget to check everything. Use the sunlight, look at it on every angle and open your doors and check the jambs and under the door area all the way.to the weather seal. Your hood and engine area as well. Most likely it will have some type of paint defect or imperfections. Multiple Jeeps already had same complaints around my area and the body shop I'm using. I'm not trying to make Chrysler look bad, this is my 5th Jeep and i am very loyal to the brand. If we don't correct the issues, it will happen all the time. Good luck to all.

rubicon20032003

First Name
Joe wrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Problem there painted and made by other company .So I had to have mine painted to match better at dealer.Are two sets had dirt and runs in paint

B72A0439-D6F8-414F-884B-7E2C909B4D49.jpeg

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Just get the aftermarket tube doors and end it
Unsure what the draw of factory half doors is anyways unless is some sort of nostalgia thing šŸ¤”

Shanwowsd

First Name
shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Has anyone with a recent build (since mid-2021) experienced issues with paint matching between the half doors and the body?

I am interested in getting them along with a Sting-Gray JLU but have seen some unfortunate pics of half doors in that color several shades off. I know they are manufactured separately and likely not QC'd with the Jeep before delivery, so chances are decent that the paint won't match. They must not all be that bad, right? I'd love to see some GOOD examples!
Maybe the variation is more often with a specific color? I have firecracker red that i took delivery of last June. I was worried about the same thing and getting doors that didn't match. I think mine match really well. I love them and I would never regret dropping the $$ on them.

20220619_141943.jpg

20220619_141930.jpg

Dallas911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2023 392XR
Maybe the variation is more often with a specific color? I have firecracker red that i took delivery of last June. I was worried about the same thing and getting doors that didn't match. I think mine match really well. I love them and I would never regret dropping the $$ on them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Half Doors: Paint Color Matching Issues? 20220619_141930
Looks great. I have half doors on my JKUR and love them. I leave them on with the top off for months at a time; I have another ride if there is rain in the forecast. They are better than any aftermarket alternative I've found, but expensive. Half doors were a must-have for me on my new Jeep but have probably slowed down my order (8 months and still waiting!).

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Picked my JLUR up used and unfortunately when it was made 1/2 doors werenā€™t availableā€¦so I am SO HAPPY I got a set at a very reasonable price and JUST picked them up from the paint shop last Friday!!!

Paint shop did a phenomenal job paint matching!

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Half Doors: Paint Color Matching Issues? F8F4DF1B-3E14-4352-9E4E-C005DB80952C

Shanwowsd

First Name
shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Looks great. I have half doors on my JKUR and love them. I leave them on with the top off for months at a time; I have another ride if there is rain in the forecast. They are better than any aftermarket alternative I've found, but expensive. Half doors were a must-have for me on my new Jeep but have probably slowed down my order (8 months and still waiting!).
8 months would have killed me. I waited 3 and a big chunk of that was shipping. I thought the half doors might have helped mine get done faster since Jeep would not want to just leave parts lying around once the doors came in and all parts were gathered. Who knows what goes into that black magic act of deciding who gets built when. I would bet your delay is 392 or XR pars related. Either way I hope you get it soon. As soon as you hear the exhaust on it you will likely forget the wait.

Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
My half doors match perfectly and the paint quality is excellent IMO. I got a base Willys Sport edition, so by getting half doors, I also got power locks/windows and mirrors. Canā€™t wait for the weather to get warm again in the spring so I can swap them back on.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Iā€™d love to half factory half doors, even if the paint sucked!
Sponsored