Sponsored

Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?)

joetimmons

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL
Curious from the forum members who have decided to either do a factory fender "chop" how did that work out (with photos if possible) and /or folks who have totally removed factory fenders in lieu of upgraded 3rd party fenders (with photos if possible) or finally if you got painted fancy factory fenders/inner fenders maybe even with the XR extended flares and you are content and wheeling just fine with that?

Or conversely, did you upgrade or chop your factory fenders and later have "chop or swap" regret and wish you had just stuck with the factory setup?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I chopped my JLUR fenders over 3 years ago, and have had zero regrets. It's a great, and relatively simple way to gain about 3.5" of tire clearance up front and 2-2.5" out back.

My Jeep was originally lifted 2" and on 35's, and I was on the verge of upping the tire size to 38's. The chop was an easy way of maintaining tire clearance with the smaller lift height and taller tires. I've since lifted the Jeep two more times, first to 4" and now to 6" with the very flexible Metalcloak Gamechanger with 3.5" and 4.5" springs, respectively. The chop still serves the purpose of increasing total suspension travel, by allowing the added uptravel.

Mid chop with 2" lift and 35's...
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?) 20200411_175754

With 2" lift and 38's...
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?) 20200628_200652_resized

With the current 6" lift and 40's...
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?) 20230307_100700_resized (1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?) 20230325_064822_resized

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I did the factory chop and I really enjoy the look! 1 thing I didn’t think about was the temp of the lighting. The led made my halogen headlights look odd so I swapped them out for Oracle bi leds and now really enjoy the front end of my jeep. What started all this for me was cracking my factory running light getting too close to a fence on a trail ride. I could have lived with it, but u know, jeep…

IMG_2367.jpeg

IMG_2369.jpeg

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I purposely bought my third and fourth JLs with fancy XR painted fenders to prevent me from going aftermarket ever again.

Recommend remaining stock or chopping Rubi fenders unless you really hate the look of the unpainted fenders.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?) IMG_0392

OP
OP
joetimmons

joetimmons

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL
Does anybody have a photo of the Metalcloak Rubicon Fender Gutz Delete & Clearance Bracket installed?

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
On the 21 I did JLUR suspension swap and gutted the fenders. It looked right with 315s in my opinion. On the 23, I went with 37s and ICON lift keeping the fenders... Each has their advantage, but I prefer a fender that's intact.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?) IMG_4610

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Fender "Chop" vs Aftermarket HD Fenders vs Keep Factory Fenders (& Fender Swap/Chop Regret?) IMG_5595
Sponsored