JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
You may not agree with the value proposition of the insurance, but it is still the same principal.

For some people, they may put very little down on a new Jeep, and finance it. It is unlikely that anyone that finances their vehicle could afford to foot a $10K+ repair bill. Hence the insurance.

It could also be that with Jeep's very poor reliability, many people would choose to pay a smaller amount up front for piece of mind, rather than potentially being nickle and dimed out of warranty to the tune of many thousands of dollars.
I wonder how much of "Jeeps very poor reliability" is from people doing modifications and from beating the balls of them off road? Your average vehicles don't go through the abuse Jeeps do. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
That's not the Mopar warranty...unless you're talking about like 10 years ago, maybe it was different then. The MaxCare warranty has no such stipulations. There are stipulations about lifting but it doesn't void the entire warranty, just the suspension coverage. Obviously, if you put 38s on your wrangler and break a u-joint or a steering link or something, that's not going to be covered (cause it's not a defect).
It was the maxcare warranty. And there are stipulations in there. I didn’t see it until I looked at fine print and called them. That’s when I discovered the stipulations. And of course going larger will put more strain on specific items causing them to go out. But to be able to upgrade only 35s and then possibly still have warranty work denied. Even if it’s unrelated. I’ve seen it happen. Besides the fact that ANY aftermarket parts/mods had to be Mopar only. That’s specifically what they told me. So for me not worth the risk of dumping money into their warranty then possibly finding out later they won’t honor it due to some non-Mopar mod.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't take the time to read all posts, but I was looking into it and if you put any lift other than 2"mopar bye bye coverage. Even if it's not related to suspension. Look at their fine print. That was a no go for me, but I was already leaning away from getting the extended warranty
Yep. I had bought mine then discovered this and cancelled.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
It was the maxcare warranty. And there are stipulations in there. I didn’t see it until I looked at fine print and called them. That’s when I discovered the stipulations. And of course going larger will put more strain on specific items causing them to go out. But to be able to upgrade only 35s and then possibly still have warranty work denied. Even if it’s unrelated. I’ve seen it happen. Besides the fact that ANY aftermarket parts/mods had to be Mopar only. That’s specifically what they told me. So for me not worth the risk of dumping money into their warranty then possibly finding out later they won’t honor it due to some non-Mopar mod.
They cannot deny the extended warranty on your infotainment system due to a lift. This is something that has been discussed and established frequently here and on other car forums all across the internet. OBVIOUSLY, if you lift your Jeep with an aftermarket suspension, those parts, and anything (suspension-related) that is put under more stress due to the lift, will not be covered. This is not some underhanded tactic, this is just common sense, and it is the case for any manufacturer out there, and any warranty they offer, whether extended or factory.

Suspension and driveline issues are not why everyone recommends an extended warranty anyway. You aren't going to need the warranty for vehicle components that have been refined over decades - pretty much every manufacturer has got engines and suspension figured out by now. You are going to need it for the ECM, BCM, TCIM, VCIM, SCM, RCM, XCM, Cluster, Infotainment system, and all the associated harnesses that litter the JL. It's there to save you from the $8k bill that is racked up while your JL sits at the dealer for two months while they try to diagnose the famous "pull over vehicle will shut off in 60 seconds" error.

It's well documented that shady dealers will try to deny warranty coverage on anything they can for any reason they can. This is why its very important to have a good dealer to work with. I would say that if you can't find a good dealer, you do not want to buy a Wrangler (or any FCA product for that matter). The extended warranty is only one of many problems you will have if you don't have a dealer that actually wants to take care of you.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They cannot deny the extended warranty on your infotainment system due to a lift. This is something that has been discussed and established frequently here and on other car forums all across the internet. OBVIOUSLY, if you lift your Jeep with an aftermarket suspension, those parts, and anything (suspension-related) that is put under more stress due to the lift, will not be covered. This is not some underhanded tactic, this is just common sense, and it is the case for any manufacturer out there, and any warranty they offer, whether extended or factory.

Suspension and driveline issues are not why everyone recommends an extended warranty anyway. You aren't going to need the warranty for vehicle components that have been refined over decades - pretty much every manufacturer has got engines and suspension figured out by now. You are going to need it for the ECM, BCM, TCIM, VCIM, SCM, RCM, XCM, Cluster, Infotainment system, and all the associated harnesses that litter the JL. It's there to save you from the $8k bill that is racked up while your JL sits at the dealer for two months while they try to diagnose the famous "pull over vehicle will shut off in 60 seconds" error.

It's well documented that shady dealers will try to deny warranty coverage on anything they can for any reason they can. This is why its very important to have a good dealer to work with. I would say that if you can't find a good dealer, you do not want to buy a Wrangler (or any FCA product for that matter). The extended warranty is only one of many problems you will have if you don't have a dealer that actually wants to take care of you.
Yes technically they can’t. But I’ve seen it happen and then have to fight or find a dealer that’ll work with you. It’s pretty much a moot point for me anyways as I drive too much for any warranty.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Yes technically they can’t. But I’ve seen it happen and then have to fight or find a dealer that’ll work with you.
Yes and this is where we as customers need to do our jobs. I know FCA has a reputation for terrible dealers...so if we are unable to find a good dealer, it is our job to NOT BUY THE PRODUCT, or dump it as soon as possible. As soon as I start having warranty issues due to the dealer, both my FCA vehicles will be gone and I will be back with an automaker that doesn't treat me like s#!^.

Too many buyers are like "oh well I guess i'll just bend over and take it because I want to be seen in this vehicle"...and that's why we have these problems to begin with.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
Question on the 8 year EW. Does this cover corrosion repair? I'm concerned about the door/hood/tailgate hinge galvanic corrosion issue discussed at length in another thread. Thanks...

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
A lot of this depends, if one has a MOD Friendly Dealer.

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
Question on the 8 year EW. Does this cover corrosion repair? I'm concerned about the door/hood/tailgate hinge galvanic corrosion issue discussed at length in another thread. Thanks...
I would say no.

Under what's not covered on my 8yr/85K max care plan

THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:

• Exterior - tires; trim; name plates; appliques; body sheet metal; glass; plastic lenses; paint; bright metal; bumpers; side-view mirrors (glass/ housing); wheel covers; steel wheels; aluminum wheels; rusted or frozen rims; weather strips; rust; water leaks; restricted drain tubes; wind noises; all outer body panels; spoilers; plastic and fiberglass body parts; vinyl tops; convertible top fabric; repairs or damage caused by environmental factors such as acid rain, tree sap, salt or ocean spray;

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I liken extended warranties to annuities in the investment world. They provide a steady, consistent stream of monthly income without the worries of the vagaries of the free market. Problem is, the annuity provider takes a pound of flesh in order to provide you with that peace-of-mind. Even mildly savvy investors avoid annuities because they know that they can do better investing themselves (and, they invariably do). But...if you want predictablity, and aren't worried about sub-optimal financial results they are the hot ticket.

Just like extended warranties. They're not for everyone, but to the highly risk-adverse they fit the bill. [but don't be fooled....the vast majority of you will come out behind]

It's really quite simple: if they pay you more than you pay them, they will go out of business.

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma
Shoppers get caught up in the extended warranty numbers such as 7-years/100k miles. It’s just a slick way to market the product.

Since a new Wrangler comes standard with a 3/36 you are really purchasing coverage for an additional 4-years/64,000 miles, whichever comes first. Also, don’t forget about the standard 5 year/60k Powertrain Limited Warranty.

Jeep WarrantyWarranty Length
Basic Coverage Limited Warranty3 years/36,000 miles
Anti-Corrosion Perforation Limited WarrantyAll panels: 3 years/unlimited miles
Outer panels: 5 years/100,000 miles
Powertrain Limited Warranty5 years/60,000 years
Federal Emissions Warranty2 years/24,000 miles
Specified components: 8 years/80,000 miles