Sponsored

Factory extended warranty worth it?

Raven99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Clubs

After a lot of consideration I decided to extend my coverage. OEM warranty expires in August. I went with the top MOPAR MVP plan for 5 yrs or 60K mi (my Jeep only has 5K mi on it despite being three years old - it's a second car and also because, well ... you know ... #rona ).. cost me $2K with a $100 deductible. I can pay it off monthly for 2 yrs without interest and if somehow after 5 yrs I never needed to use the benefits of the plan I get my money back. It was an easy decision to make.
Sponsored

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Are the Chrysler Jeep factory extended warranties worth it that the dealerships sell to you when buying a Jeep?

I always turn them down. Never once had one. But this time when buying my Jeep i got talked into it. Only said no 15 times. Lol. But they cut the price in half so i said what the hell ok ill take it. Lol.

I got the second best one. I forgot what its called off the top of my head. Added care plus or something? The way it was explained to me it literally covers everything right down to the electrical. Damaged windshield replacement and everything. Even damaged tires. Free oil changes and maintenance.

Anyone have experience with this warranty? If so is it worth it. I have 30 days to decide to drop it. We'll like 18 now.

Also if I drop it do I get my money back? How does that work? Do they cut me a check?
I bought an extended warranty on my 2019 Sahara when my original warranty ran out. I only have 8500 miles on it due to covid and now gas prices. I pay a $120 deductible and it's for 5 years or 60K miles. I paid about $1800 for it and have as yet to decide whether it's a good move or not. That being said, I worry about the 2.0L turbo and want to CYA. LOVE that engine though.

jandersendo

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Didn't take the time to read all posts, but I was looking into it and if you put any lift other than 2"mopar bye bye coverage. Even if it's not related to suspension. Look at their fine print. That was a no go for me, but I was already leaning away from getting the extended warranty
Is this true? So if I put a MC lift on my Jeep and the window motor breaks, I don’t have a warranty anymore?

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
After a lot of consideration I decided to extend my coverage. OEM warranty expires in August. I went with the top MOPAR MVP plan for 5 yrs or 60K mi (my Jeep only has 5K mi on it despite being three years old - it's a second car and also because, well ... you know ... #rona ).. cost me $2K with a $100 deductible. I can pay it off monthly for 2 yrs without interest and if somehow after 5 yrs I never needed to use the benefits of the plan I get my money back. It was an easy decision to make.
Good call!!! I bought my lifetime in 2018 (-3k) and I have used it many times since… recently they replaced the steering gear (steel). All tie rod ends, bars, drag link, etc…, basically all new except axles… my 2008 t&c has 270k same warranty and they still honor it as well, many trans, ac, auto door, dvd front end stuff… and free towing rental car to boot…

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Is this true? So if I put a MC lift on my Jeep and the window motor breaks, I don’t have a warranty anymore?
Its true for the extended warranty. Ill find the text and post

Sponsored

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
I bought a 2020 JLUD Rubicon with the extended factory warranty. I have only 33k miles on the diesel and have had at least 12-15k warranty work already. Issues too numerous to detail. I plan to dump this POS about 50 miles before the warranty ends. I will never buy another Jeep WITHOUT the extended warranty. I love the Wrangler, but too many issues with the diesel to deal with. I just hope the 392 is going to be around long enough for them to work out the bugs and be available for our next one.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
This is what I get when I try pricing coverage. This is one dealer of mopar plans but I've found this elsewhere too. I suppose there is a chance you squeak by their exception if it isn't something they would check the suspension on like a window motor...

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory extended warranty worth it? Screenshot_20220704-180629_Chrome

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Whether or not it is worth it will depend on the individual and their vehicle. The diesel post above was worth it for sure, but I still think banking the cost as an emergency fund is the way id go. A lot of repairs can be made at non dealer shops for a fraction of the repair cost. I have the 3.6L which has a decent track record. I wouldn't be so confident in a couple other engine options. The computers are what terrify me in these JLs. But like another post stated, they bank on the fact that you wont need a 3k or 4k repair and that's how they make their $$$

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Whether or not it is worth it will depend on the individual and their vehicle. The diesel post above was worth it for sure, but I still think banking the cost as an emergency fund is the way id go. A lot of repairs can be made at non dealer shops for a fraction of the repair cost. I have the 3.6L which has a decent track record. I wouldn't be so confident in a couple other engine options. The computers are what terrify me in these JLs. But like another post stated, they bank on the fact that you wont need a 3k or 4k repair and that's how they make their $$$
Concur … it’s not the 3.6 you need to worry about, it’s all the other crap… I have already did 2x in repairs on the first 50k… all suspension - steering related… one trans job will make that roi way over the top.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
This is what I get when I try pricing coverage. This is one dealer of mopar plans but I've found this elsewhere too. I suppose there is a chance you squeak by their exception if it isn't something they would check the suspension on like a window motor...

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory extended warranty worth it? Screenshot_20220704-180629_Chrome
This is why I went the the Xtreme Recon package from the factory.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We always planned on modding and wheeling our jeep and I'm well aware of their penchant for trying to deny claims for modded vehicles, so hard pass for me. If you plan to keep it stock, the extended warranty may but some peace of mind.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
So if you have a non-Mopar lift installed, does this mean I can't get this warranty? Or does it mean I can still get it but it wont cover the lift parts?
You can, it just won't cover the lift parts or if they can determine the lift caused a failure of a factory part.

Please email [email protected] and we can turn around a quote within 24 hours.
This is from another extended warranty thread, but applies all the same. There is a lot of misinformation out there about warranties when lifts are done.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
This is from another extended warranty thread, but applies all the same. There is a lot of misinformation out there about warranties when lifts are done.
Yeah use extreme caution. Id hate for sales folks to say one thing to get you to drop a few grand only for the fine print to make the thing worthless. I know the dealer techs I've talked to say factory warranty will stand unless it's an issue directly related to an aftermarket part. That's how it should be, but clearly there are a lot of clauses in extended plans that give them an out.

They didn't have the extreme recon option when a lot of us bought. Besides, the mopar lift was too soft for my application so I went with the AEV. I figure any steering or suspension issues that arise just prompts me to do some nice upgrading and there are tons of aftermarket options that are improvements over factory and most of that stuff is bolt on. I would buy an xtnded warranty plan that would be for computers and drive train only if they would have one like that for folks who mod their rig. Probably a nice market for that.

When the warranty runs out, it actually gives you a sense of freedom now. Freedom to mod all the things that before I would say "I don't want to void my warranty" 😂

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Depends on who you're dealing with when it comes to the warranty claim. Some can go down a rabbit whole real fast.

For example they can say you installed a 3rd party lift And the larger heavier tires caused stress on the drive train which caused the transmission to fail. Who knows.

For me I just don't think the warranty that they shoved down my throat is worth the cost. Its 5 years but most of it runs simultaneously with my factory warranty. So in It reality it only extends my factory warranty by 2 years and they charged me $1,780. If I want more warranty I'll wait until the factory warranty is almost up and then find one for cheaper and get more years.

Zach@Granger

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Occupation
Car Dealer
Depends on who you're dealing with when it comes to the warranty claim. Some can go down a rabbit whole real fast.

For example they can say you installed a 3rd party lift And the larger heavier tires caused stress on the drive train which caused the transmission to fail. Who knows.

For me I just don't think the warranty that they shoved down my throat is worth the cost. Its 5 years but most of it runs simultaneously with my factory warranty. So in It reality it only extends my factory warranty by 2 years and they charged me $1,780. If I want more warranty I'll wait until the factory warranty is almost up and then find one for cheaper and get more years.
I agree that sounds expensive for 2 additional years. I would say this though, with the mopar warranty there are price increases at 12 months, and 24 months, that in addition to pricing increases we are seeing because of inflation, you may be best served to get the coverage now if you are certain you will get it. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored