Factory Defect with Rear Bumper

MiamiBeachJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler High Altitude Edition
Hello everyone. I was detailing my new JL Sahara shortly after bringing it home when a single use plastic rivet fell out black trim on the rear fender. I then noticed the rear bumper cover in the same area was pushed in and so the gap between the bumper and the body was too narrow (almost touching the body) and the bumper cover did not align property to meet the end of the wheel fender flair. I brought it back to the dealer, where it is now, thinking the vehicle had experienced some sort of trauma before I took delivery. The dealer said the bumper cover was just not installed properly at the factory. There wasn't any evidence of tr
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Defect with Rear Bumper IMG_0109.JPG
auma on the cover itself and so I'm inclined to believe this is true. Has anyone else had a similar problem? View attachment 392753 I've attached two photos of the area in question.
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I dont even understand whats happening here. Your plastic bumper, which is not only hideous but also designed to be removed easily (took mine off in 10 minutes), doesnt perfectly allign with the body? is it even supposed to? lol

OP
OP
MiamiBeachJeff

MiamiBeachJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont even understand whats happening here. Your plastic bumper, which is not only hideous but also designed to be removed easily (took mine off in 10 minutes), doesnt perfectly allign with the body? is it even supposed to? lol
Was that reply supposed to be funny - it wasn't. In fact, it was rude. Thanks for thinking it was appropriate to take time out of your day to not offer any help. What made you think I would be interested in your feelings about my bumper cover??

• Haha
Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
MiamiBeachJeff

MiamiBeachJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Body panels not fitting well from the factory? Nah never. Always great body alignment on American vehicles. And if you believe that stay on the turnip farm.
Here is the other side - normal gap and alignment. There clearly is a problem that should be corrected.
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Defect with Rear Bumper IMG_0111.JPG
o you can see the diffrence.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Was that reply supposed to be funny - it wasn't. In fact, it was rude. Thanks for thinking it was appropriate to take time out of your day to not offering any help.
Sorry not meant to be rude, and not trying to be funny either. I am just saying, the bumpers on the wranglers are attached very differently than any other car, and actually designed to be easily removed. They wont be perfectly aligned with the body of the Jeep, I wouldnt worry much about it. Unless you see any body damage. What you experienced is normal.

And what do they mean by bumper cover? the rear bumper is one piece, plastic, attached directly to the frame with brackets. Check the brackets to make sure they arent bent? you can take the bumper off and inspect, it is super easy. I wouldnt trust the dealer.

Either that or take it to the dealer and just tell them to fix it under warranty.

OP
OP
MiamiBeachJeff

MiamiBeachJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry not meant to be rude, and not trying to be funny either. I am just saying, the bumpers on the wranglers are attached very differently than any other car, and actually designed to be easily removed. They wont be perfectly aligned with the body of the Jeep, I wouldnt worry much about it. Unless you see any body damage. What you experienced is normal.

And what do they mean by bumper cover? the rear bumper is one piece, plastic, attached directly to the frame with brackets. Check the brackets to make sure they arent bent? you can take the bumper off an inspect, it is super easy. I wouldnt trust the dealer.
It's not normal. The dealer thought it was a factory defect. They have had it for two days (still have the vehicle) and called last night to say they are having trouble resolving the problem. So, not easy to resolve either. My concern was that the misalignment was more likely from trauma in the transportation and delivery of the vehicle.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
It's not normal. The dealer thought it was a factory defect. They have had it for two days (still have the vehicle) and called last night to say they are having trouble resolving the problem. So, not easy to resolve either. My concern was that the misalignment was more likely from trauma in the transportation and delivery of the vehicle.
But if there isnt body or frame damage hm. did they try another bumper and theres still a gap? Looking at my aftermarket bumper isnt perfectly aligned either.

And also I didnt mean YOUR bumper is hideous. I meant the rear bumper on the JL for all JLs.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's a jeep not a Benz...........but some folks don't know the difference.

OP
OP
MiamiBeachJeff

MiamiBeachJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a jeep not a Benz...........but some folks don't know the difference.
I just traded a 2019 in for this 2020. You know what the 2019 didnā€™t have - a pushed in bumper! SMH

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just stepping in to say that it is a really easy thing to resolve. Simply loosen the attaching hardware, shift it to where its even on both sides, and retighten. Dealers just simply not wanting to admit that they haven't looked at it yet, because it's lower on their priority list.

OP
OP
MiamiBeachJeff

MiamiBeachJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just stepping in to say that it is a really easy thing to resolve. Simply loosen the attaching hardware, shift it to where its even on both sides, and retighten. Dealers just simply not wanting to admit that they haven't looked at it yet, because it's lower on their priority list.
The dealer resolved it. They had it for two days and it is now fixed. It was in fact as they described- a factory defect and so the vehicle was not damaged during delivery. Thank you.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer resolved it. They had it for two days and it is now fixed. It was in fact as they described- a factory defect and so the vehicle was not damaged during delivery. Thank you.
Glad to hear about it getting sorted out for you. That's one of those things that once you see it, it'll always drag your eye to it.

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Hey all, bumping this because Iā€™m in the honeymoon phase with my new to me 2021 cpo Willyā€™s and been looking it over. Mine isnā€™t as bad as OP, but the gap on the left side is more than the right side. It would only bother me if it meant other damage or issues but some people mentioned the bumper can be aligned by unscrewing things and shifting it a bit?

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Hey headbar, Iā€™ve watched a few removal videos of the factory bumper and all the holes donā€™t seem to have much room for adjustment. Of course, the videos donā€™t show it well either. Is there in fact adjustment/play to be had if you wanted to align it perfectly on JLs?
Sponsored