Sponsored

Factory Clear Bra on Painted Fenders.. Self Healing?

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
82AA20CC-0237-4317-95C5-61947D3B6388.jpeg

Here's a pic of mine. There was a thread a couple months ago discussion this. Apparently some are partially covered, some almost fully covered. I had to really look on mine to see the edges.
I’m wondering if that was installed at the dealership. I have yet to see any Jeep in Chicago that had the film on the fenders. I did see on the rear painted fender of a 2019 rubi and small piece of 3m but didn’t cover the whole area. The fronts didn’t have any
Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
The Clear bra situation seems to depend on production time. Mine definitely has it, it is hard to see as it was obviously installed prior to plastic trim but you can feel the edge with your fingernail right next to the trim. I just bought a heat gun so going to test the self healing properties as there are a few light scratches. 3M has 3 (good, better, best) different levels of covering, I would assume Mopar used the good which I do not believe is self healing.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I’m wondering if that was installed at the dealership. I have yet to see any Jeep in Chicago that had the film on the fenders. I did see on the rear painted fender of a 2019 rubi and small piece of 3m but didn’t cover the whole area. The fronts didn’t have any
I'd have to say definitely not installed by dealership. There's no way they had time - I picked it up only a few hours after it arrived at the dealer, and I certainly didn't pay extra for it.

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
Well definitely will be a small bonus if mine has it. Still waiting on my order from 3/26. I am planning Xpel on several areas, including rear fender do to rock fling and door sills and door handle cups do to wife’s nails.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
You may want to also look at the 3M scotchguard Pro film instead of the Xpel

I am using a local shop near Seattle. I am doing the full hood, All Doors, front and rear fenders for $1500, I have decided not to USE Xpel I plan to use 3M Scotchguard Pro has a way better warranty and actually protects against damage to $3500. Watch these videos to see the comparison.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
My sahara has both front and rear fenders covered from the factory. Nice little bonus i was not expecting.

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Turbo Bikini Pearl; 2009 JK Sahara
The Mopar material isn’t all that great, firstly it doesn’t cover the entire piece, so you’ll see the outline of it & with time it’ll be more noticeable because dirt, wax, etc. builds up. The material itself is pretty thick & protective, but it also starts getting a yellowish tint (from my experience with Jeep/Dodge) to it with time. I took the Mopar stuff off & covered my fender flares & entire front cap covered with Xpel protective bra (only the painted parts because the protective bra doesn’t adhere all that well to textured plastic; has to be that extremely smooth paintable plastic for it to adhere correctly). The Xpel stuff is self healing, but I don’t know if the Mopar stuff is. If you want to be safe, the fender flares alone are relatively cheap to have protective bras applied to.
@WhyUMad did you do the film on your own or take it somewhere to have done? My 2020 JLUS is on order and should arrive in a few weeks. This is one of the first things I plan to do, and I’m in the New Orleans area so I’m looking for a place to have it done. Any recommendations?

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
@WhyUMad did you do the film on your own or take it somewhere to have done? My 2020 JLUS is on order and should arrive in a few weeks. This is one of the first things I plan to do, and I’m in the New Orleans area so I’m looking for a place to have it done. Any recommendations?
My buddy Rory at Proven Automotive did it & also put a 5 year coating on it as well.The front cap, hood, & fender clear bra & 5 year coating was about $2000. He did a full body clear bra & 5 stage coating on my Aventador, as well as a front cap & 5 year coating on my SLS, Hellcat, & a few other vehicles. He’s the best in the biz for clear bras & protective coating.

He’s off of david David Dr.. in Metairie between Airline & West Metairie. It’s a purplish red building.

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Turbo Bikini Pearl; 2009 JK Sahara
My buddy Rory at Proven Automotive did it & also put a 5 year coating on it as well.The front cap, hood, & fender clear bra & 5 year coating was about $2000. He did a full body clear bra & 5 stage coating on my Aventador, as well as a front cap & 5 year coating on my SLS, Hellcat, & a few other vehicles. He’s the best in the biz for clear bras & protective coating.

He’s off of david David Dr.. in Metairie between Airline & West Metairie. It’s a purplish red building.
Awesome! I’ll reach out to him. Thank you!
Sponsored