Factory Alpine or Alpine PSS-23WRA?

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
I’m considering downsizing from my Sport S Unlimited to a 2 door Rubicon. The Sport has the Alpine system with the sub in the cargo area wall; I’ve been pretty happy with the sound. I know the Alpine in the Rubi has the sub under the floor. My concern is: does that muffle the sound when carrying cargo?
The Alpine PSS puts the sub under the passenger seat. Does that improve the sound over the under floor sub?
Does anyone have any experience/suggestions one way or the other?
TIA
Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I have a 2-Door Rubicon with the sub under the floor. There is no difference if luggage is packed in the back or no luggage at all.

The way the sub sound waves work, you will not notice a difference.

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
I’m hoping to install my PSS-23WRA this weekend. My buddy has a ‘21 with the Alpine OEM upgrade so I’ll be able to compare back to back.

My plan was to save a little cargo space and money, and get an equivalent quality sound, going the PSS route when I ordered my ‘21 Sahara...fingers crossed that comes to fruition. I bought a used PSS further saving a bit of $.

OP
OP
OregonJeepGuy

OregonJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Sting Gray
Occupation
Old retired guy
Looking forward to what you discover.
Where did you find a used PSS?

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Looking forward to what you discover.
Where did you find a used PSS?
Finished my install yesterday and to my ears I’m pleased with the PSS. Before the PSS kit I’d installed the Dodge Dart Kicker speakers in the upper dash, which themselves were a great improvement. With the PSS kit there’s more clarity across the volume range, and bass now where it was completely absent in the stock 7” audio setup. I think it’s at least equivalent with the OEM Alpine upgrade in another JLU.

Plus bonus points for me are the sub is underseat in an unused area rather than the rear cargo, there’s a remote bass knob to adjust the bass on the fly, and I paid about 50% off the going price of $1300 (found someone selling a used one after he traded his Gladiator).
Sponsored