Sponsored

Factor55 HitchLink 2.0 as rear recover option for OEM steel bumper

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Has anybody used the HitchLink 2.0 from Factor55 for a rear recovery point on the OEM mopar rear steel bumper? Wasn't sure how common it was to hook up to a hitch receiver even if it was something with a HitchLink in it? What other options have people done? Maximus-3 rear tow loops? I have the OEM steel bumper and was looking at adding better rear recovery points than what is stock. Thanks.

https://factor55.com/product/hitchlink/

https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories-/jl-closed-rear-tow-loops#/

Jeep Wrangler JL Factor55 HitchLink 2.0 as rear recover option for OEM steel bumper 1594084192592

Jeep Wrangler JL Factor55 HitchLink 2.0 as rear recover option for OEM steel bumper 1594084253333
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
hitch shackle recovery points are good if thats your only option and a good item to just have in your recovery bag as a just in case, the issue is their weakest point is the hitch pin also if you are looking at those i would go with a cheaper brand you are not gaining much if anything for the added costs

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_101.htm

I would go with the maximus-3 over any hitch shackle

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Has anybody used the HitchLink 2.0 from Factor55 for a rear recovery point on the OEM mopar rear steel bumper? Wasn't sure how common it was to hook up to a hitch receiver even if it was something with a HitchLink in it? What other options have people done? Maximus-3 rear tow loops? I have the OEM steel bumper and was looking at adding better rear recovery points than what is stock. Thanks.

https://factor55.com/product/hitchlink/

https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories-/jl-closed-rear-tow-loops#/

Jeep Wrangler JL Factor55 HitchLink 2.0 as rear recover option for OEM steel bumper 1594084253333

I have the Maximus-3 front & rear tow loops. The rear were a pretty simple installation, with no modifications needed. I feel that they do add at least some protection to the steel bumper. The departure angle is about the same as it is with the OEM hitch. My only issue with them is that the OEM exhaust tip is fairly close, and could easily make contact

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
hitch shackle recovery points are good if thats your only option and a good item to just have in your recovery bag as a just in case, the issue is their weakest point is the hitch pin also if you are looking at those i would go with a cheaper brand you are not gaining much if anything for the added costs

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_101.htm

I would go with the maximus-3 over any hitch shackle
You are concerned about the hitch pin? Why? You could hang the jeep by the hitch using the hitch pin! :LOL:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have some concerns over the hitch mounted option:
  • The hitch isn't going to be as strong as something bolted directly to the frame
  • The JLU is only rated to tow 3500 lbs, but weighs at least 4000 lbs. How strong is the OEM hitch? A winch is supposed to be rated at 1.5x-2x vehicle weight... shouldn't the tow points be at least the same?
  • The hitch inserts are never a snug fit. A loose connection isn't as strong as one that doesn't move (think of what happens with a loose wheel lug)
On the plus side the hitch mount could act as a mini 'stinger' bar, and could save your tire/tailgate from coming down hard on a rock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BamaJeep

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Here are the specs on the hitch pin. Says 50,000+ lb shear strength and made of 303+ high strength steel. Although if you buy the locking pin plus the hitch link you are in for $138. The rear tow loops From Maximus are $197 and more permanent. Or hell, you start to think just spend $600 for a new rear bumper and dump the OEM one

59BDEDC9-F69E-4F65-AEAA-881B1BB6CAC4.jpeg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So, as a total newbie at this, .......

am I better served by only having the one JL factory rear recovery point or also having this Factor 55 too? curious and serious..... why would I want to have both? I wasn’t aware that trailer hitches made good recovery points. Do they? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, as a total newbie at this, .......

am I better served by only having the one JL factory rear recovery point or also having this Factor 55 too? curious and serious..... why would I want to have both? I wasn’t aware that trailer hitches made good recovery points. Do they? Thanks in advance for any insights.
I would use the factory hook if there was nothing else available, but captured > non captured. Whether you are using a tow strap, kinetic rope, or winch line, a shackle or some form of enclosed loop is a better recovery point than an open hook.

If you want inexpensive the Rhino USA stuff is a decent value.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I would use the factory hook if there was nothing else available, but captured > non captured. Whether you are using a tow strap, kinetic rope, or winch line, a shackle or some form of enclosed loop is a better recovery point than an open hook.

If you want inexpensive the Rhino USA stuff is a decent value.
Forgive me.... I’m a newbie and I am trying to understand. I am also ignoring price for the moment.

you are saying, I think, that an “enclosed’ recovery point like the F55 on the trailer hitch (mated with a shackle of some sort) is preferable to the Jeep factory rear “hook”? correct?

And, you are suggesting that because of the nature of an “open hook’ vs “enclosed point”. Correct?

is there any difference in the “pull” rating of the two points? Is the trailer hitch mountings more or less strong than the hook mountings?

thanks in advance for any help.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgive me.... I’m a newbie and I am trying to understand. I am also ignoring price for the moment.

you are saying, I think, that an “enclosed’ recovery point like the F55 on the trailer hitch (mated with a shackle of some sort) is preferable to the Jeep factory rear “hook”? correct?

And, you are suggesting that because of the nature of an “open hook’ vs “enclosed point”. Correct?

is there any difference in the “pull” rating of the two points? Is the trailer hitch mountings more or less strong than the hook mountings?

thanks in advance for any help.
You are correct in all your assertions.

I couldn't tell you how much they are rated for, but like I said in my previous post you could hang a Jeep Wrangler from it's hitch.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I wasn’t aware that trailer hitches made good recovery points. Do they? Thanks in advance for any insights.
I'm answering this old post to make sure someone doesn't think that it's a good idea to use a trailer hitch as a recovery point. It's not a good idea. It's even worse to use a standard hitch ball. When that breaks the ball becomes an extremely deadly projectile. A man was recently killed in front of his family while using this technique.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm answering this old post to make sure someone doesn't think that it's a good idea to use a trailer hitch as a recovery point. It's not a good idea. It's even worse to use a standard hitch ball. When that breaks the ball becomes an extremely deadly projectile. A man was recently killed in front of his family while using this technique.
You can recover from a hitch no problem. But yes from a hitch ball on a stinger is not a good idea. But a shackle on a purpose made stinger is a non issue.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I run them on mine for a centerline connection point. Used in battle twice this season…

1. Bubba rope to free a stuck Jeep.

2. Towed a disabled Jeep down a trail (using its winch cable).

My yellow one is pretty much stock. The hitch link is one of its very few mods.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factor55 HitchLink 2.0 as rear recover option for OEM steel bumper C7C8C356-3CA8-4D2C-8CCC-A6D1D15A6F7A

Jeep Wrangler JL Factor55 HitchLink 2.0 as rear recover option for OEM steel bumper 8AC49B9B-170C-4DE2-9D60-C2A12A2D464A
Sponsored