Fact: Jeep Wrangler is the least capable vehicle ever

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I just accept the fact I will almost always have to roll my sleeves since they won't fit my long arms, I just wish the large sizes fit my shoulders better so I don't have to go to the XL tents.
Sponsored

Scottsaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This is interesting. I've had some pretty bad wobble going over a bridge at higher speeds, but I can't duplicate it anywhere else. I figured it was just something with the road there. Were you able to duplicate the wobble pretty easy? I guarantee the dealers around me are going to waste 2-3 days of my time to day 'everything is fine'.
Yeah it was practically every joint - I could tell it was going to happen as soon as I hit. I specifically asked the dealer shop to check the track bar. So far no more wobble!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It is always BIG & TALL stores. Never tall and awesome. (Apparently you can't be 6'5 and under 300lbs?)

I special order everything and return 75% of it.

Cheers to everybody, hope you are having a great day!
I had a friend some years ago who was 6’9’ and 400 lbs. he said the problem with big and tall shops is they make clothes for tall and skinny, short and fat, not both!! Ha!

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I've had 3 long distance trips in my 2019 Sahara, all at speed, too. Cruising at 80 is calm when the wind isn't pushing us around. While I've seen 90 a few times, I'm happiest at 75-85 and that's keeping up with the flow, still getting passed. 2.0 Turbo, eTorque.

2 of the trips to Colorado with 3 guys, all our gear and an enclosed trailer with dual sport bikes. Very comfortable and no complaints. Seats were great, too. We're not small guys either - all of us over 6 ft and averaging 230 lbs.

The 3rd trip was a 1500 mile loop from Kansas to south of Houston by way of Austin. Had a cold front chase us from several directions. Cross winds and construction were the only challenge. That's when you really need both hands on the wheel. With the wind behind you or even a head wind, everything is manageable. It's not your Mom's Buick and never will be. I'm good with that.

I installed a dead pedal not long after buying my Jeep. Great addition! The leather seats have broken in nicely and are quite comfortable now. I'm at 42K now and the Jeep is still quiet and rattle free. I'm not saying there isn't wind noise - it is a brick in the wind - but the radio compensates for the wind noise. The Jeep does not have any issues passing slower traffic.
I rented an early JLU for a road trip a couple years ago and thought it drove great. In my opinion it felt a lot like my friends 2017 Platinum F-150 but stiffer and cornered better. It didn't wander, steering was tight and the seats fit really well (6' 200+), I don't understand all of the complaining. There is a little more road noise than your average vehicle (hardtop, no headliner) but it's a convertible for F%#* sake of course it will so don't compare it to something that isn't. Power was more than adequate, 3.6 auto there's a 2.5 mile %7 grade pass on this trip and I ran it up to 90 just to see how it would do with 0 issues.

Fast forward a few years and my JLU should be ready to pick up in a couple weeks. I opted for the headliner and premium sound so I don't think road noise will be an issue. Oh and I intend to have the top off most of the summer because it's a F$%*@#g convertible. Yeah the road noise complaining irritates the shit out of me.

Sponsored

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
I've only got 900 miles on my 23 JLU Willys XR 2.0T, but I'm loving it so far. It drives nice. Already added the shorty seat jackers and the MORE dead pedal. I'll be driving it from WA to FL and back in September and am looking forward to it. Last time I did it was in a lifted & locked TJ with the 2.5/five speed 33" tires and 4.88 gears pulling a small trailer. That was work driving that.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Recently took a long trip in my daughter's Grand Cherokee Trailhawk including offroad and jeep trails. That car is very smooth on the highwaay and very capable offroad. When I got home and got in my Wrangler I could tell a lot of difference in the feel, but I still prefer my Wrangler. Somehow I felt like we were beating up on the Grand Cherokee on rough trails while it seems appropriate for the Wrangler.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I've only got 900 miles on my 23 JLU Willys XR 2.0T, but I'm loving it so far. It drives nice. Already added the shorty seat jackers and the MORE dead pedal. I'll be driving it from WA to FL and back in September and am looking forward to it. Last time I did it was in a lifted & locked TJ with the 2.5/five speed 33" tires and 4.88 gears pulling a small trailer. That was work driving that.
Ugh. You’re making the trip during the busiest month of hurricane season. I wouldn’t do it in anything BUT a Wrangler though!

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Recently took a long trip in my daughter's Grand Cherokee Trailhawk including offroad and jeep trails. That car is very smooth on the highwaay and very capable offroad. When I got home and got in my Wrangler I could tell a lot of difference in the feel, but I still prefer my Wrangler. Somehow I felt like we were beating up on the Grand Cherokee on rough trails while it seems appropriate for the Wrangler.
I had a 2019 Grand Cherokee for a while (Limited, not trailhawk, but I had it lifted on 33's). They definitely have their pros a cons. It's quite offroad capable for what it is, especially compared to most other SUVs, but like you said it just feels like it's getting beat up on the trails. That body-on-frame with 4-corner independent suspension just really doesn't feel like it takes the abuse very well., and it spends a lot of its time with only 3 tires planted on the ground. Also it's really limited in terms of upgrades - you really can't lift it much higher than stock, and 33" tires are pretty much the max unless you want to start chopping apart the body. Thusly, ground clearance was always my biggest concern in that vehicle. Skid plates and sliders helped, but it's sketchy how they mount to the sheet metal body instead of a rigid steel frame - hit something hard enough and it'll just rip the skid right off the thin body panel and mangle it.

I definitely appreciated the on-road comfort, though. However the cargo capacity was surprisingly limited compared to my JLU which seems to have substantially more cargo space somehow.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
Ugh. You’re making the trip during the busiest month of hurricane season. I wouldn’t do it in anything BUT a Wrangler though!
Yeah; I know. It worked out better at work for me to take September vs. August off (my original plan was August). Going to Florida visit friends and family, to include my 92 y/o Mom (she ain't getting any younger). I grew up in Florida - I know about hurricanes.

I'm hoping September might be a little cooler than August while driving across the country (Florida's still hot in September though). I was driving the Jeep the other day and it was hot out (ok; 80 degrees in SW WA is considered hot). I could feel the heat on my head near the roof. Mental note to self - get one of those Hot Head Headliners put in before I drive to Florida.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah; I know. It worked out better at work for me to take September vs. August off (my original plan was August). Going to Florida visit friends and family, to include my 92 y/o Mom (she ain't getting any younger). I grew up in Florida - I know about hurricanes.

I'm hoping September might be a little cooler than August while driving across the country (Florida's still hot in September though). I was driving the Jeep the other day and it was hot out (ok; 80 degrees in SW WA is considered hot). I could feel the heat on my head near the roof. Mental note to self - get one of those Hot Head Headliners put in before I drive to Florida.
Paul, what part of FL?