Fab Four Bumpers makes you pay $250 for license plate bracket

mfinn628

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport Unlimited, 2003 TJ
I decided to go with Fab Four based on style, being American made and quality of construction. I know there are equally good bumpers out there for a lower price point, but I just kept coming back to these so I bit the bullet.

I have the front Matrix bumper and want to match it with the rear bumper which is $1200. I went on-line to read about it one last time before purchase and noticed something I hadn't caught before. If I purchase the rear jeep bumper and want to put a license plate on it (which seems likely), Fab Four will make me buy a $250 piece of bent metal that attaches to the bumper to hold the license plate. This is the only way to add it on.

I'm making the choice to purchase Fab Four, so I have made the choice to spend top dollar even if there are other bumpers out there, but I wish I had noticed this component prior to purchasing the front bumper. Had I seen this, I likely would have went with my second place choice on principle alone. The idea that they are going to charge me $250 to put a license plate on a $1200 bumper has really pissed me off.

Just posting this so others are aware.
Sponsored

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
To each their own, but personally, I find their stuff ugly looking, especially their front bumpers. The fact they are charging what they are is just insulting on top of that. That said, I agree it’s ridiculous that they don’t provide you with a license plate bracket solution out of the box. Plenty of less-expensive and better looking bumper offerings out DO include a similar bracket. There are also quite a few stand alone bracket offerings that are half that price or less and are basically the same product.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Plenty of options on tag relocation brackets to rear tire, many are inexpensive. Never been a fan of the fab four look but the matrix looks well tamed down to most of their Darth Vader style.

I do like the way the winch is enclosed in the bumper but imagine that will make installation much harder. My XJ bumper from rusty's is like that and I had to mount winch to bumper then bumper to jeep. Heavy as hell to get in place.

OP
OP

mfinn628

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport Unlimited, 2003 TJ
To each their own, but personally, I find their stuff ugly looking, especially their front bumpers. The fact they are charging what they are is just insulting on top of that. That said, I agree it’s ridiculous that they don’t provide you with a license plate bracket solution out of the box. Plenty of less-expensive and better looking bumper offerings out DO include a similar bracket. There are also quite a few stand alone bracket offerings that are half that price or less and are basically the same product.
Yeah, a lot of their stuff is not my style at all and seems more made for a Mad Max movie, but the lines of the Matrix won the family "Choose your favorite bumper contest".

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

im sure they dont want some ugly license plate distracting people's attention from their beautiful artwork they call a bumper.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
The fab fours grumper is not my taste but if that’s what you like that’s fine although I do like the fab fours stubby bumper $400 painted with grill guard is a good deal.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I’m all for people adding their personal touch to their Jeeps, it’s great. With all do respect tho, I wouldn’t call this stuff “top dollar.”

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Looks cool enough so why not go to a Fabrication shop with a picture of the plate holder and get your Initials or something cool you like for the logo? Custom is always a great talking point and the shop will appreciate the word of mouth.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Please, when referring to Fab Fours, NEVER call it a bumper, please refer to it by its proper name - a Grumper.

And afterwards, don’t call it a Jeep, call it a Buzzard.

Geesh. Show some respect guys. /s

AC1187A7-70D2-4D95-B99A-7249B82FC26C.gif

Last edited:

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited -- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
Wow. $240 for something that should be included? I'm out.
Sponsored