F34 fuse = loss of power steering, among other things

dustdriver

Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just back from a desert trip and had a little issue to share. First day driving was just slow, rough roads, nothing crazy. Pulled into campsite in 2WD, with everything working normally. While getting the Jeep into position, the instrument panel starts to light up: ESC, swaybar, and power steering warning indicators all came on, and all 3 systems lost. Restarted everything, same situation. Let it sit overnight, tried again in the morning, no change.

At this point, I'm suspecting a battery issue, because just a day earlier when I started the Jeep in the morning I got the "battery saver mode on" message, which disappeared in about 5 minutes. I'd also read several other threads about battery issues being preceded by various dash light symptoms. But after watching the voltmeter (thanks, hutchman for the idea), the battery voltage was normal, everything appeared to be charging just fine.

This makes me suspect it might be a fuse issue, so I raise the hood and carefully begin reading the tiny fuse box labels for anything might have something to do with all 3 of those systems... and what did I find? A blown F34 fuse.

F34 ESC/EHPS/SBCM WAKE UP 10A

(For anyone who doesn't know, that stands for "Electronic Stability Control/Electric Hydraulic Power Steering/Smart Bar Control Module".)

Replaced the fuse, problem solved! Spent the next 4 days exploring the desert without any issues whatsoever.

I still want to know WHY the fuse was blown in the first place, and will have the dealer check it out. Maybe someone else already knows the answer?

Just FYI, might save someone else a lot of stress. I wasn't looking forward to having to figure out how to get a battery to the Jeep or the Jeep to a dealership, given my remote location and poor cell service.

(BTW, if you haven't done so already, take some photos of the fuse box labels so you can read them easier even when it's a dark and stormy night.)

F34_fuse_ 1.jpg

F34_fuse_ 2.jpg

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Just back from a desert trip and had a little issue to share. First day driving was just slow, rough roads, nothing crazy. Pulled into campsite in 2WD, with everything working normally. While getting the Jeep into position, the instrument panel starts to light up: ESC, swaybar, and power steering warning indicators all came on, and all 3 systems lost. Restarted everything, same situation. Let it sit overnight, tried again in the morning, no change.

At this point, I'm suspecting a battery issue, because just a day earlier when I started the Jeep in the morning I got the "battery saver mode on" message, which disappeared in about 5 minutes. I'd also read several other threads about battery issues being preceded by various dash light symptoms. But after watching the voltmeter (thanks, hutchman for the idea), the battery voltage was normal, everything appeared to be charging just fine.

This makes me suspect it might be a fuse issue, so I raise the hood and carefully begin reading the tiny fuse box labels for anything might have something to do with all 3 of those systems... and what did I find? A blown F34 fuse.

F34 ESC/EHPS/SBCM WAKE UP 10A

(For anyone who doesn't know, that stands for "Electronic Stability Control/Electric Hydraulic Power Steering/Smart Bar Control Module".)

Replaced the fuse, problem solved! Spent the next 4 days exploring the desert without any issues whatsoever.

I still want to know WHY the fuse was blown in the first place, and will have the dealer check it out. Maybe someone else already knows the answer?

Just FYI, might save someone else a lot of stress. I wasn't looking forward to having to figure out how to get a battery to the Jeep or the Jeep to a dealership, given my remote location and poor cell service.

(BTW, if you haven't done so already, take some photos of the fuse box labels so you can read them easier even when it's a dark and stormy night.)

F34_fuse_ 1.jpg

F34_fuse_ 2.jpg
@dustdriver

I recently posted that taking a pic of inner fuse cover with fuse locations and keeping on the smartphone was a wise move...

Also, another guy .... a couple of years ago posted similar.... His F34 had not been pushed down enough at the factory and it had worked its way up... so no longer doing the deed and his JL displayed the same symptoms...

Perhaps your F34 was loose and well, blew as you/it were bouncing around so to speak.

Thanks for coming here and posting about your experience.. For sure, doing so is helpful to other owner's.

I for one remember this type of thing I read here... You post refreshed my memory..

OP
OP
dustdriver

dustdriver

Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It's been about 4 months since the OP, here's a relevant update:
Since replacing that F34 fuse, there have been no repeats... until now!
Yesterday, same exact symptoms reappeared out of nowhere: first the ESC goes out, then the Swaybar control, both with dash lights and warnings, one right on top of the other.

As long as the Jeep is still running, that's the end of it. But if I turn the engine off (or the ESS shuts it off for me), when I restart the engine, I lose POWER STEERING!
I can live for awhile with no ESC and no swaybar disconnect, but not without power steering.

The problem seems to be getting worse this time. After replacing the F34 fuse again, it blew the next one, and the next, and the next, etc. all within a minute of starting and driving again. So as it sits now, if I want to drive anywhere I have to first put in a fresh F34 fuse first, and not turn the engine off.

Taking it into the dealer in 2 weeks. I'll let you know the outcome.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement