Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
And why is it easier for a thief to get into my tailgate with electric locks?
They can hit the unlock button on the door.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Are we making this harder than it has to be?

Whether you have the manual locks of a Sport, the electric ones of a Sport S or higher, or the proximity locks of a Sahara or Rubicon, regardless of whether your tailgate has a physical lock or not, how are you getting into that tailgate without physically breaking in, if you don't have a fob and/or physical key?

Even with the top and doors off, flipping down the rear seats gains you no access with the EZTrunk, right?

Am I missing something?

Scenario. The rig is locked and armed with the top and doors off, Sport, Sport S, or Rubicon/Sahara (or some limited edition variation).

How does one get into the cargo area with no fob or key short of physical break in and alarm actuation?

Confused...

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That's not the case in my wife's '18. I threw the FOB in the house and was able to lock and unlock the doors with the push of the button on the door.
Confused Mike. The button on the door..? The only button I know of on the door handle of a JL is for proximity locks. Are you saying the manual door lock/unlock button on the interior, or the electric one on the interior?

And this worked, let alone opened the tailgate when the rig was armed and the FOB was beyond communication distance?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Confused Mike. The button on the door..? The only button I know of on the door handle of a JL is for proximity locks. Are you saying the manual door lock/unlock button on the interior, or the electric one on the interior?

And this worked, let alone opened the tailgate when the rig was armed and the FOB was beyond communication distance?
If you have power door locks there is a lock/unlock button on the door. If the FOB is away from the Jeep you can still hit that button and lock and unlock the doors. If the doors were locked with the FOB and you reach in and hit the unlock button and open a door the alarm will go off.

Sponsored

RMS114300

First Name
ROBIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
I drove my Jeep back from the Smoky MT Show in TENN (12 hr Drive) and it didn't rattle or add to any more noise. I don't go over rough terrain but I don't think there will be any noise. The tailgate really secures the trunk tight.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
If you have power door locks there is a lock/unlock button on the door. If the FOB is away from the Jeep you can still hit that button and lock and unlock the doors. If the doors were locked with the FOB and you reach in and hit the unlock button and open a door the alarm will go off.
Hey Mike:

By no means am I minimizing your findings but I do wish to share mine.

I have a 2018 Sahara with after market proximity locks. Using the proximity locks I unlocked it, put the ignition in the on position and lowered both front windows.

I turned off the vehicle and locked it once with the FOB, and once with the electric door locks on both driver's and passenger's sides. Either engages the alarm.

I put the FOB in a Faraday bag.

I could not open any of the doors with the Proximity handles as expected. I could press the electric door unlock button on the interior of either front door given the both door's windows were down, but the unlock side of this button was inoperable on both driver's and passenger's side doors.

I could open either door with the manual door lock/unlock button but this did not unlock the cargo area lock, and when opening either front door after manually unlocking it, the alarm went off.

On my vehicle at least--unless I missed something--I don't see the EZTrunk being compromised barring physical force to overcome it.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I think the key is that vehicles with proximity locks work as expected (and the correct way in my opinion). In that you canā€™t unlock the doors by pressing buttons on the Jeep without the key fob nearby.

Seems that vehicles without proximity are behaving differently, and allowing this functionality.

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This looks cool but personally, I like the Diabolical enclosure (https://shop.diabolicalinc.com). It is easily one of the top 3 things I've done to my Jeep. Its pretty flexible in terms of taking the top off, folding it back and down, etc. My only complaint (other than installation of one screw!) is the cost. Its too expensive in my opinion but, like I said, one of my top mods!

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
This looks cool but personally, I like the Diabolical enclosure (https://shop.diabolicalinc.com). It is easily one of the top 3 things I've done to my Jeep. Its pretty flexible in terms of taking the top off, folding it back and down, etc. My only complaint (other than installation of one screw!) is the cost. Its too expensive in my opinion but, like I said, one of my top mods!
If only they felt the need to support us 2 door owners....

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I finally got an email about my preorder that I sent back in July I think. It said preorders are now able to purchase through their website. The JLU and JL are both $399. But after seeing what another member posted when he bought the eztrunk and everything he had to put together without an instruction manual that is not something I will be able to do so idk now. They said their eztrunk would be really easy to install but it didnā€™t look easy.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
I finally got an email about my preorder that I sent back in July I think. It said preorders are now able to purchase through their website. The JLU and JL are both $399. But after seeing what another member posted when he bought the eztrunk and everything he had to put together without an instruction manual that is not something I will be able to do so idk now. They said their eztrunk would be really easy to install but it didnā€™t look easy.
The instructions are on the website now. Click here