Extreme Terrain Deceptive ?

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
7/23/2019 UPDATE : Today I received a full Conversion Kit for my Jeep, it was sent by Extreme Terrain and I wanted to reflect that here so everyone would know that ET really came through and their Customer service handled this very well.

I was looking to purchase a Mopar Hardtop and found one on Extreme Terrain. I watched the install Video and read the entire description on the website before I made such a large purchase. They stated in a few places that all you needed to complete the install was a Harness to connect the wiper and fluid hose. So I purchased the top and it was delivered in excellent shape but I had forgotten to order the Harness.

So when the top arrived I removed my soft top and all the hardware associated with it and installed the top. I then remembered about the Harness so I went to Extreme Terrain to look for a harness and much to my surprise they don't sell one ? So then I looked on Amazon and found out that it's not a wiring harness that is needed it's an entire conversion kit !! A conversion kit that is not just wires its the entire kit including a whole new assembly for the steering column controls tubes to run the washer fluid from the front of the Jeep to the back and all the wiring associated with running the wiper. This Kit cost $300 and the install I'm guessing will be a huge undertaking. It would have been nice to know all of this in advance and now I feel Like I'm stuck with another 1,000 dollars + in install fee's because Im being told this is not just a case of running wires and pulling off a steering wheel it involves air bags and other crap as well.

I was not happy that Extreme Terrain did not make this very clear in their description and in their video which clearly states all you need is a simple harness. Here is the page link https://www.extremeterrain.com/mopar-hard-top-2018-jl-4-door.html .Whats even more funny is they tried to tell me (when I called) they don't make the video's ??? So I said, "So you don't make the video's but since you posted them on you're Website you are certainly responsible for their content"

My next step was to call Extreme Terrain and let them know they really should change their website description and Video to include the disclaimer that this is a very intensive install and a conversion kit is needed that could cost in the neighborhood of 1000 + to complete the hardtop accessories and full install. They apologised and fully agreed with me this was a huge oversight on their part and I asked if there was anything they could do to help out and they basically said no to any help on the Conversion kit or the install but offered me a 50 credit to buy anything in their store ??? So were sorry we basically screwed you but heres fifty dollars to spend on our products ? They also said they would take down the video and include the added expense in the description for the harness and install but three days later the same damn ad is up there and so is the Video. Smart sales team Terrible customer service and that's never a good combination for the consumer.

I see what they are doing here and they will probably deny it, but they don't want you to know the added cost because then you may not purchase the product which is very deceptive. I've seen this before and I'm guessing it won't be the last time. I'm very through when I make a purchase and I was in this case as well but the info was simply not there for me to see if I wanted to incur all these added costs so in the end I guess Im screwed and Extreme Terrain couldn't care less IMHO.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
The OP states he’s ‘very thorough’ when he makes a purchase but he ‘forgot’ to order the necessary parts to complete this project. Really.

Had he not ‘forgotten’ he would have understood what was needed and what the cost implications would be.

Trying to blame the retailer for his lack of ‘thoroughness’ seems a little harsh.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm afraid "it's people like this", who fail to read, understand, research, that drive product liability lawsuits, and put good companies out of business.
There's no Damages here, but the mindset of "blame the company", not my failure to pay attention, is distressing.
FCA wooed the mass market ,and got what they wanted. Big Profits with the Wrangler nameplate.
The Equal and Opposite side of that coin will be lawsuits from the Clueless...
Most of the High Dollar Awards are overturned on appeal, but it's public perception that a lot of gold is at the end of every lawsuit Rainbow.
Brace yourself, FCA. You asked for it, you got it....

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like customer service was very understanding and even offered a free $50.

You're in TX so I'm sure you can get by without the rear wiper and defroster if it's that big of an installation issue.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if ET changed the description but it's pretty clear that a hard top wiring kit is required. The offer of $50 seems reasonable to me... these aren't high margin products and it was at least something. Not sure what the OP would want more than that... well maybe a free $1000 wiring harness... but that's just ridiculous.

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I'm not sure if any of you bothered to go to the website actually read the description or watch the video. The video states its a wiring harness Not a complete conversion kit with hours of installation required.

As for the last poster Eric .... I'm not sure you understand the difference between a harness and a complete conversion kit.

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm afraid "it's people like this", who fail to read, understand, research, that drive product liability lawsuits, and put good companies out of business.
There's no Damages here, but the mindset of "blame the company", not my failure to pay attention, is distressing.
FCA wooed the mass market ,and got what they wanted. Big Profits with the Wrangler nameplate.
Most of the High Dollar Awards are overturned on appeal, but it's public perception that a lot of gold is at the end of every lawsuit Rainbow.
I'll put this in bold so you can read it easier this time

I'm afraid it's you who failed to read..... I did read the entire description and watched the video and one funny thing I mentioned EXTREME TERRAIN said it was a huge oversight on their part they did not explain this in any way on their website.

What I did expect since they actually took blame for the issue was for them to take back the top but they never offered that. I never asked for 1000 dollars and never asked for any money at all . I did ask for them to change the description and put up a good video which is loaded with holes and misinformation. They said yes they would yet somehow the Video and description is still up there. I guess if you leave it up and get more sales 50 bucks of compensation is not a bad trade off.

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like if you had fully researched it you would have known all this. There are several threads here and on other forums documenting this.
Nice but I was not a member of this forum when I purchased the Item and I did research it watched numerous videos but no mention of the work it takes to install a complete conversion kit. I assumed it was a regular harness. yes it was my fault as well but ET said it was a huge oversight and that they would change the description and they have not. Once again I did not ask for 1000 dollars nor did I asked for people to assume I did.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Crypton1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess you also assume I was going to sue right ? stop making these ridiculous assumptions

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
..............and this is why I always tell people to ORDER THE HARDTOP FROM THE FACTORY.

It's way easier and less expensive to throw a soft top on later than it is to try and fork over money to set up the hard top later.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Gas stations have water and wipers, thats what i do. Is it really that important to use the wipers automatically? Plus if you didnt have a hard top to begin with you are missing 4 latches on the roof. Two on wind shield, two on sound bar

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
There is no need for them to take down the video. The video shows how to install the part that they sell.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I'll put this in bold so you can read it easier this time

I'm afraid it's you who failed to read..... I did read the entire description and watched the video and one funny thing I mentioned EXTREME TERRAIN said it was a huge oversight on their part they did not explain this in any way on their website.

What I did expect since they actually took blame for the issue was for them to take back the top but they never offered that. I never asked for 1000 dollars and never asked for any money at all . I did ask for them to change the description and put up a good video which is loaded with holes and misinformation. They said yes they would yet somehow the Video and description is still up there. I guess if you leave it up and get more sales 50 bucks of compensation is not a bad trade off.
Maybe we're being a bit harsh on your misfortune (and I can be a jerk at times too). It sucks when a large purchase goes awry in spite of due diligence. While you are justified in feeling there should have been some additional information regarding the wiring harness requirements, to suggest that Extreme Terrain take the product back is unreasonable. It was installed so it would end up being scrapped without any defect whatsoever. ET couldn't recoup the cost as there is no warrantable issue.

Oh... one question... did you even ask them to take it back? Your post insinuates that you were waiting for them to offer a free return (that they didn't do)... did you ask to return it?

Can the issue be corrected? Absolutely. Will it cost? Yeah... probably... but until then you have a factory mopar hard top. That's the difference between getting it that way from the factory and buying one after the fact. The hard top still works, you just won't have a rear defroster or wiper.

It's a problem that can be solved without requiring returning the product. And I don't see a need for ET to change the description... there are LOTS of people who figure out how to do stuff to their Jeeps that is freaking amazing. I'm not one of them. If I had to do this I'd bite the bullet and pay someone to get it done right. Buyer beware and lesson learned.

I hope you solve the problem, I really do. But IMHO some of your expectations are just not realistic.
Sponsored