Sponsored

Extreme Recon package a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared Rubicon?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I saw a video of what is included in the Recon package and it's a lot more than just the gears and tires. It has bigger brakes which I wasn't aware of so the price seems justified. Do all the extras like the iron knuckles, longer shocks etc make for a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared rubicon?
Sponsored

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
Quite a few posts that cover the benefits of the package.
  • Mopar beadlock wheels
  • 35s
  • Fenders extensions
  • 1.5 inches of added lift over standard Rubicon
  • HD axles:
    • Iron Knuckles
    • Thicker tube axles (more than 30% thicker over standard Rubicon)
    • Bigger breaks
    • 4.56 gearing

While the 1.5 inch lift is a bit lame, the axles and wheels are huge. If you are planning to run 35s or 37s, and planning to actually wheel your jeep, then the package is an absolute bargain.

In terms of driving behavior, I can only give you my opinion, which is that it drives great. I drove a Sahara, a Rubicon, and a XR with 3.6. I ordered the XR and am currently using it as a primary vehicle. Recently took a 800 mile road trip with family of 4, gear, and surfboards on the roof and found it to be a comfortable ride with decent mpg (19.7). Way more comfortable than any other jeep road trip I have ever made (CJ / YJ / TJ).

Last edited:
OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m thinking about selling my 6 speed and getting a new auto with the XR package. Cost wise may be cheaper than regearing and re-clutching my 6 speed rubicon.
Kind of a bummer because I put some nice upgrades on mine and itā€™s paid.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a video of what is included in the Recon package and it's a lot more than just the gears and tires. It has bigger brakes which I wasn't aware of so the price seems justified. Do all the extras like the iron knuckles, longer shocks etc make for a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared rubicon?
Yes and no.

Yes, it includes many strengthened parts, but they are there for added durability, not for added comfort.

The larger, heavier tires put added stress and wear on steering and suspension parts, thatā€™s why they get reinforced.

Good luck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m thinking about selling my 6 speed and getting a new auto with the XR package. Cost wise may be cheaper than regearing and re-clutching my 6 speed rubicon.
Kind of a bummer because I put some nice upgrades on mine and itā€™s paid.
I looked into trading my 2018 Sahara recently. Itā€™s got a Mopar lift, 4.88 gears, 35s, and only 12,500 miles.

In my case, it made no sense to trade in. Between the drop in trade-in values from the record highs of last winter, ongoing escalating prices of new vehicles, 10% in sales tax and registration, it made no financial sense to get rid of it.

The fact that my JL has been solid and trouble-free, while 2021+ owners have been reporting all sorts of electrical and electronic problems, convinced me to just keep it.

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
The fact that my JL has been solid and trouble-free, while 2021+ owners have been reporting all sorts of electrical and electronic problems, convinced me to just keep it.
That's exactly the thing with JLs: If you get a good one, don't let it go.

When JLs are reliable, they are pretty much perfect.

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Quite a few posts that cover the benefits of the package.
  • Mopar beadlock wheels
  • 35s
  • Fenders extensions
  • 1.5 inches of added lift over standard Rubicon
  • HD axles:
    • Iron Knuckles
    • Thicker tube axles (more than 30% thicker over standard Rubicon)
    • Bigger breaks

While the 1.5 inch lift is a bit lame, the axles and wheels are huge. If you are planning to run 35s or 37s, and planning to actually wheel your jeep, then the package is an absolute bargain.

In terms of driving behavior, I can only give you my opinion, which is that it drives great. I drove a Sahara, a Rubicon, and a XR with 3.6. I ordered the XR and am currently using it as a primary vehicle. Recently took a 800 mile road trip with family of 4, gear, and surfboards on the roof and found it to be a comfortable ride with decent mpg (19.7). Way more comfortable than any other jeep road trip I have ever made (CJ / YJ / TJ).
That's interesting, because that's my use case (subtract the kids, just wife, gear, surfboards). I have a stock '21 Rubicon now....and with resale prices remaining pretty high, low sales tax ($500 - South Carolina), I could probably sell the Rubicon and grab a Willy's XR breaking even, maybe even make a bit with the Gupton discount.

The MPG is solid, comparable to what I'm getting, which is good to hear. The only downside to me is the loss of manual transmission.

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
My $.02

I'd take some easy-to-remove parts off current JL, go for the new XR.
With the current market, you can get 20-40% more for pre-owned JLs, and buy new (build it if desire) and only pay MSRP-ish; roughly 10-15% more vs normal market.
Trading-in also allows for sales tax offset.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked into trading my 2018 Sahara recently. Itā€™s got a Mopar lift, 4.88 gears, 35s, and only 12,500 miles.

In my case, it made no sense to trade in. Between the drop in trade-in values from the record highs of last winter, ongoing escalating prices of new vehicles, 10% in sales tax and registration, it made no financial sense to get rid of it.

Oh I havenā€™t read of the electrical problems.
guess I missed those threads.
How do you like the 488s?
thatā€™s what I was going to do. But now that. Have to add a clutch to the mix itā€™s getting expensive.
nothing wrong with my clutch now but Iā€™m afraid of it blowing.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I havenā€™t read of the electrical problems.
guess I missed those threads.
How do you like the 488s?
thatā€™s what I was going to do. But now that. Have to add a clutch to the mix itā€™s getting expensive.
nothing wrong with my clutch now but Iā€™m afraid of it blowing.
Yes, there appears to have been an increase in the number of posts for electrical problems and batteries dying from owners of 2021+ JLs.

Love the 4.88! Highly recommend it to anyone considering getting 35+ tires.

The clutch is a real concern, though. That alone might convince me to unload a JL.

Iā€™ve seen posts on another forum from two manual transmission owners who replaced the clutch with an aftermarket unit, and are now having issues with the pedal sticking.

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I drove My Rubicon with 35's from Northern IN to TN traded in for an XR Rubicon and drove home the next day, the XR is still a Jeep but has a much better ride
How was the XR Rubicon in comparison to the stock Rubi in terms of on-road ride?

Steel8083

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon
To Me much better. Tried keeping speed down for break in but at times looked down and was doing 80-85 and it was smooth enough I didn't realize it.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, there appears to have been an increase in the number of posts for electrical problems and batteries dying from owners of 2021+ JLs.

Love the 4.88! Highly recommend it to anyone considering getting 35+ tires.

The clutch is a real concern, though. That alone might convince me to unload a JL.

Iā€™ve seen posts on another forum from two manual transmission owners who replaced the clutch with an aftermarket unit, and are now having issues with the pedal sticking.
Oh boy. That is a shame.
I am very disappointed with this whole clutch fiasco. I was hoping to keep my keep a long time.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
No -- it is not as good of a DD as a regular regeared rubicon. But that's subjective. IMO, the additional lift height and larger tires is what I consider it to be worse in that category. This negatively impacts handling and fuel economy. The XR shocks are junk IMO. Blew one out almost immediately other is leaking. Swapping them out next week.

But from an off-road standpoint it made sense I wanted the 4.56 gears and wheels. Also the 315ā€™s were worth a decent chunk as take offs.
Sponsored

Last edited: