Sponsored

Extreme Recon for a Daily Driver?

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I’m new to Jeep and considering getting one soon. I love the look of the Wrangler Rubicon and will be getting that model. It will be a daily driver 80% of the time. Would the Extreme Recon package be worth getting? Would it cause daily driving to be less comfortable? I will not be taking it on any extreme expert trails, but I’m thinking the Extreme Recon package might be worth it for resale value if it doesn’t change the ride quality too much. Thanks any advice appreciated.
Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Only if you plan on putting on a lift and 35's anyway. The 4.56 gears are a bonus. The package is decently priced. It will work well as a DD. I have the Mopar 2" lift and 35's on my DD and love it, but I also wheel it. Can't speak of the ride quality on the XR, but the Mopar lift is comfortable.

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
The 4:56 gears should help you get 8th gear a little more frequently. I went to 35”s without regearing and don’t see 8th as often as I’d like.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Absolutely!!! If you planned on getting bigger tires and lifting your Jeep anyway then the price of $3995 is a steal For everything you get!!! If you plan on not doing any of that and like the stock look then I would say no but once you get the Jeep modifying bug and you start hanging out with other Jeep people and start doing some trails it will cost you significantly more to modify it aftermarket!!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Resale. The old argument. If it costs more to begin with, the resale amount will be higher. In certain situations the resale may be even better, such as with a 392, but only if driven sparingly and unmodified.

I would even argue that in 10 years a stock Sport will retain more percentage of it’s purchase value than a Rubicon, given that both are in the same average condition with the same miles.

Unless you live in Alaska or Montana, the biggest resale killer is no AC.

JLo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2022 JTD
I know you don’t buy a Wrangler for gas mileage but any idea if it significantly decreases with the Xtreme Recon?

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah I think you will be opening it to a larger audience

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
It's a no-brainer. Just do it. As soon as you go offroading the wheels in your head will start spinning focusing on two things:

1) Harder trails
2) Setup and mods for those harder trails

The Ruby Extreme already gets you partway there

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I know you don’t buy a Wrangler for gas mileage but any idea if it significantly decreases with the Xtreme Recon?
I can’t imagine a vehicle with a lift, lower gearing and bigger tires not losing 2-3 MPG.

If it doesn’t, Jeep engineers deserve a Nobel Prize in physics.

Sponsored

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
My son was commuting to school in mine, cost me more in gas and tires then a subsidized EV lease.
$200 a month kept the miles off my trail rig and almost as much in fuel alone, let alone tires. He gained access to diamond lane.

So how far you're commuting is a major factor.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I’m new to Jeep and considering getting one soon. I love the look of the Wrangler Rubicon and will be getting that model. It will be a daily driver 80% of the time. Would the Extreme Recon package be worth getting? Would it cause daily driving to be less comfortable? I will not be taking it on any extreme expert trails, but I’m thinking the Extreme Recon package might be worth it for resale value if it doesn’t change the ride quality too much. Thanks any advice appreciated.
The answer really depends. Do you have a highway commute over 70mph? Is your current vehicle a front-wheel-drive crossover or a Sedan? Do you live in a very cold or very hot climate? In my experience, the Jeep is an awesome vehicle but it is a purpose-built vehicle with many compromises. If you get a soft top, it will be loud on the highway and if you want it to serve as a grocery-getting, the soft top and tailgate will drive you mad loading and unloading. For highway commute, the Sahara or Altitude trims will do much better. I had a TJ soft top with a manual trans and it was awesome around town but horrible on the highway. The new ones are much improved but it won't drive like a family cross-over. So if you recognize its character going in, you will do fine. ;) good luck with the purchase!

Bard

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Im getting about 19 mpg average so far on my XR. I have a highway commute about 35 miles each way 70 mph. Im in 8th gear all the time. Ride is smooth and straight. Was nervous trading my 19 silverado rst z71 as that is great on the highway. So far the mpg is the same at 19 and ride is better than expected. Better than my previous jeeps by a long shot: 07 rubi two door manual, 08 sport auto, 12 4 door sport auto, 17 sahara auto. I would not hesitate

blue89bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
This should probably be its own thread but I’ll give you my thoughts after having mine a few days now.

Background: I traded in my Escalade which couldn’t be more different. I’m also used to sports cars having a 800hp Camaro and others. I’ve never had a Jeep before but have ridden in a number of TJ’s so that’s my comparison.

Getting into and out of this isn’t fun. I’m not exactly a small guy and am not in the best shape but even so, I think steps are 100% necessary to make it livable as a daily. I’ve already got some ordered and they’ll be here tomorrow. I’ve got 2 car seats in the back and there’s plenty of space for them and getting the kids in and out is actually easy due to the height.

Another note on the height - getting the soft top back up was kind of a pain in the ass due to having to climb up and pull it towards the windshield. Maybe I’m doing it wrong?

Drive - it drives fine. Better then I expected honestly. I’m used to low profile tires and the larger tires are a nice change not having to avoid bumps and not feeling every pebble you drive over. It feels plenty stable which was another worry of mine. I wouldn’t take an exit at 80mph but it feels plenty balanced and stable.

Power - plenty adequate for a daily. I was worried here as I’m used to GM small blocks. It’s not going to win any races but with the gearing it’s plenty for daily driving and scoots well enough. Another 100hp would be great but the 392 must be a freaking handful.

Stereo - I have the 7” non alpine. The sound quality is fine. Not great and not bad but fine. The volume level sucks. It doesn’t get anywhere near loud enough with the top off. I’m going to have to do something about this in the near future.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I daily drive a JKU Rubi on 35s or 37s and I commute 35 miles one way every day. Gas mileage is what it is but that’s what I bought it for. Drive it and enjoy it. Don’t worry about mileage.
Sponsored