Extra weight on stock suspension

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Planning a solo trip in October and want to get a winch for some piece of mind but im concerned about the stock suspension with the extra weight. I have a 2018 Sahara with stock suspension. Plan is to remove the plastic bumper and swap it with a stubby that can support a winch. I will be adding about 160 pounds to the front of the Jeep with the new bumper and winch and im concerned about the factory suspension. Has anyone had any sagging issues with the stock suspension.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can easily add a set of spacers on the front suspension to make up for any spring sag. This would be your cheapest option.

Next cheapest would be to add factory front coils with a higher spring rate. If you have a 2dr, with 3.6 engine and soft top, find some front springs from a 4dr, with 2.0T, hard top, and tow package. Or for even more lift, which may add too much lift, you could add Rubicon front springs.

If you look at the white tags on your stock springs, the higher the last 2 digits the higher the spring rate. So if you have 58/59 front springs for example, look for 59/60 springs. Someone on here has posted a thread with most, if not all, of the spring combinations and which models those springs are available with.

If it were me, I'd add spacers to make up for the amount of height lost with the addition of bumper and winch. Take before and after measurements so you know what size spacers to add.

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
You can easily add a set of spacers on the front suspension to make up for any spring sag. This would be your cheapest option.

Next cheapest would be to add factory front coils with a higher spring rate. If you have a 2dr, with 3.6 engine and soft top, find some front springs from a 4dr, with 2.0T, hard top, and tow package. Or for even more lift, which may add too much lift, you could add Rubicon front springs.

If you look at the white tags on your stock springs, the higher the last 2 digits the higher the spring rate. So if you have 58/59 front springs for example, look for 59/60 springs. Someone on here has posted a thread with most, if not all, of the spring combinations and which models those springs are available with.

If it were me, I'd add spacers to make up for the amount of height lost with the addition of bumper and winch. Take before and after measurements so you know what size spacers to add.
Thanks! I will probably look into getting some spacers. Good info.

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
U wanna talk weight on front end? This is my sahara on 1.5 inch teraflex spacers with 34s lol.

i have winch, full bumper and lights. I sagged 1.5 inches but it rides cushy as hell now. Total front end weight 230lbs

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra weight on stock suspension E1CF73C1-7AD4-4C27-80D3-2BF7317A908A

OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
U wanna talk weight on front end? This is my sahara on 1.5 inch teraflex spacers with 34s lol.

i have winch, full bumper and lights. I sagged 1.5 inches but it rides cushy as hell now. Total front end weight 230lbs

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra weight on stock suspension E1CF73C1-7AD4-4C27-80D3-2BF7317A908A
Oh wow, great looking setup. So what you are saying i shouldn't be worried about a measly 160ish pounds.

Sponsored

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Oh wow, great looking setup. So what you are saying i shouldn't be worried about a measly 160ish pounds.
This is probably how much lift you need in order to run that amount of weight in the front without sagging. You will probably need a 1 or 1.5 inch front spacer lift to level things out.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Here's my 2dr w/ Rubicon spring swap, then added a 110lb Quadratec Stubby bumper and an 80lb Smittybuilt winch, dropped a 1/2". I'll probably add a 1/2" spacer if I get bored, lol, but it's not bad as is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra weight on stock suspension IMG_0253.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Extra weight on stock suspension IMG_0346.JPG

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It will sag. I did the rubi suspension on my sport (highest spring numbers) and I love it. Articulation is so much better. I am also planning steel bumper (stubby) and perhaps a winch. Even with the rubi suspension, 160lbs and it will sag a bit. Just sit on it and itll give you an idea lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EB12

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Here's my 2dr w/ Rubicon spring swap, then added a 110lb Quadratec Stubby bumper and an 80lb Smittybuilt winch, dropped a 1/2". I'll probably add a 1/2" spacer if I get bored, lol, but it's not bad as is.

Not bad at all, new bumper looks good.
Sponsored