Extra Gas Carrier

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I'm patiently waiting for my build to get built - it's in "pre build stage". While waiting I'm doing my homework on some simple accessories, one of these is how to carry an extra 5-10 gallons of fuel.

It looks like it should be a simple process to find a bracket, that would hold an extra "Jerry Can" or two on either side of the spare tire without blocking the tail lights. I have spent many hours searching the internet and cannot find what I'm looking for.

There are plenty of "plastic" containers, containers to be put on top of the rig, containers sitting outside of the spare tire, etc. I guess I'm going to have to make my own - it should be able to bolt up to the rear gate support without causing too much extra weight on the hinges.
Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is that 10 gallons of fuel + cans and mounts is like adding a 2nd spare tire to your tailgate in weight. Without a supporting structure, either beefy tailgate reinforcement or bumper mounted tire carrier, its too much weight especially if you have a larger than stock spare (35's+).

I've got a unique solution coming in the mail tonight, stay tuned ;)

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
It was expensive, but I bought an lod destroyer bumper specifically so I could carry jerry cans (water cans for me)

There is also an aux fuel tank available for the jl. 15gal i think.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I have seen these carriers and I'm not a fan of them. The mention of added weight has come up. In my opinion, putting an extra 40+ pounds (weight of liquid and container) at the end of the spare tire will put more force on the hinges than placing the same weight next or closer to the body - but thank you for the suggestion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Extra Gas Carrier 1589575726354

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to EDH_JL's secret weapon...
I ran into a snag, wanted to take some nice pictures but my fuel cans didn't fit! It's a Scepter from Costco that looks like a jerry can but it's tapered a few inches wider at the bottom. I'll get some snaps in the morning and better ones when my Wavian comes in next week.

OP
OP

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Thanks for the reply, send photo's when you can. I have a couple of Jerry Cans, but can't find a bracket or mounting system like I want, I guess I will have to make something up myself.
Sponsored