Extra Fuel Tank

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
2018 JL Sahara, I am looking for a way to carry an extra 5-10 gallons of fuel. I really do not want to spent $1000.00 for this as it is not going to be used regularly. Planning a trip out west where we will be riding out some trails and the like and I'd feel more comfortable with some extra range.
Sponsored

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Seems to me, for 5-10 gallons, you can just carry jerry cans on your roof rack, tire carrier or anywhere really.

OP
OP

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
No roof racks, and the rear gate is only rated for 85 pounds INCLUDING the spare, that leave very little additional. 10 gallons of gas is somewhere north of 70 pounds without the cans or carriers.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to be limited on your options without additional equipment.

Carrying a full jerry can inside the cabin can (even decent sealed ones like wavian) be seen as dangerous and is usually frowned upon. If you have a slow fume leak, crash, etc., etc., then things can go south. As a side note, anything large, bulky and consisting of a tough exterior can become deadly in a crash or even slower rollover...

Rotopax, or an equivalent, may be a good option as it will give you multiple mounting options now and down the road. You can also go with multiple smaller cans to limit weight. For example, a smaller 1-2.5gal rotopax on your spare tire, will probably be ok assuming it's not mounted full time, and you're not running at Baja 1000 speeds over washouts.

An example setup may be:
- https://rotopax.com/rotopax-ez-tire-kit.html
- https://rotopax.com/rotopax-2-gallon-gen-2.html?category_id=28

If you really want to carry fuel in a big way, then you're into looking at aftermarket carry options that = $$$

Options such as roof racks or rear tire and bumper carriers such as the one by LOD... Then there are also auxiliary fuel tanks such as the one made by Long Range America https://longrangeamerica.com/shop-tanks/

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

JimN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
All, I think you all very much. At this time knowing about where I'll be, I am not going to proceed with this project. It may still happen later, but we will not be all that far off the track this trip. I just am not ready to spend the serious money I need to in order to do this up right for a one time trip. Again, I thank you all.
Sponsored