External electric switch restarts with ESS restart

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hello all. Hope you can give me a hand with an issue I am having. I got the Voswich switch. It is connected directly to the battery. But every time, the jeep turns off and on with the ESS the switch restarts and my GMRS radio and lights restart too. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Are you triggering off the battery or ignition?

OP
OP
yaniv05

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Are you triggering off the battery or ignition?
Directly from the battery. Not using the ignition since I want to keep some lights on while the Jeep is off

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi Yaniv @yaniv05 :

So:

You have and 3.6L JL and the sole place where the Voswitch switch that you have installed is connected to is directly to the main battery's terminals, or are you connecting the switch to a connection point that you believe is directly connected, without interruption or other relays, etc. the main battery? Or maybe you connect with this Voswitch switch directly to the main battery, but other places as well that break this connection to the main battery when ESS events occur?

If you are capable of running your own wires into the engine bay I'd consider putting the positive side of your switch on fuse N1 of the Power Distribution Center (PDC)...that's the black box high up in the engine bay closest to the front passenger's seat. Fuse N1 lies under the PDCs cover, closest to the front and driver's side of the vehicle.

Then I'd put the negative side of the connection directly on the negative post of the main battery.

Such action, IMHO, best mimics how FCA has appliances within the vehicle set up on the JL: to run off the ESS/Aux battery during ESS events, or to run off of both batteries at all other times, given the parallel connection that exists between the two batteries at all times with the 3.6L JL, but ESS events and an instant at crank.

N1 is connected at the other end to the ESS/Aux battery's positive post. The ESS/Aux battery's negative post has a cable on it which returns to the main battery's negative post: that's the cable (1 of 2 from the factory) on the main battery's negative terminal CLOSER to the passenger's front quarter panel. (The other factory cable there connects to the body ground.)

I think such an install makes most sense given your needs because appliances can run with the vehicle off as you desire, and during ESS events, those appliances, as they should, will solely drain the ESS/Aux battery, if necessary, to a point where the vehicle prematurely re-cranks the engine during an ESS event, before you take your foot of the brake pedal, should you draw too much power off the ESS battery during an ESS event, (no differently that turning the A/C to max during an ESS event) to get the engine/alternator going again to recharge both batteries. Additionally, its best to avoid the *factory* main battery during ESS events so as to preserve its power, as designed, for engine cranks.

I refer to the "factory main battery" above because different rules apply on the aftermarket Genesis dual battery kit, which I sense is beyond your needs.

OP
OP
yaniv05

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hi Yaniv @yaniv05 :

So:

You have and 3.6L JL and the sole place where the Voswitch switch that you have installed is connected to is directly to the main battery's terminals, or are you connecting the switch to a connection point that you believe is directly connected, without interruption or other relays, etc. the main battery? Or maybe you connect with this Voswitch switch directly to the main battery, but other places as well that break this connection to the main battery when ESS events occur?

If you are capable of running your own wires into the engine bay I'd consider putting the positive side of your switch on fuse N1 of the Power Distribution Center (PDC)...that's the black box high up in the engine bay closest to the front passenger's seat. Fuse N1 lies under the PDCs cover, closest to the front and driver's side of the vehicle.

Then I'd put the negative side of the connection directly on the negative post of the main battery.

Such action, IMHO, best mimics how FCA has appliances within the vehicle set up on the JL: to run off the ESS/Aux battery during ESS events, or to run off of both batteries at all other times, given the parallel connection that exists between the two batteries at all times with the 3.6L JL, but ESS events and an instant at crank.

N1 is connected at the other end to the ESS/Aux battery's positive post. The ESS/Aux battery's negative post has a cable on it which returns to the main battery's negative post: that's the cable (1 of 2 from the factory) on the main battery's negative terminal CLOSER to the passenger's front quarter panel. (The other factory cable there connects to the body ground.)

I think such an install makes most sense given your needs because appliances can run with the vehicle off as you desire, and during ESS events, those appliances, as they should, will solely drain the ESS/Aux battery, if necessary, to a point where the vehicle prematurely re-cranks the engine during an ESS event, before you take your foot of the brake pedal, should you draw too much power off the ESS battery during an ESS event, (no differently that turning the A/C to max during an ESS event) to get the engine/alternator going again to recharge both batteries. Additionally, its best to avoid the *factory* main battery during ESS events so as to preserve its power, as designed, for engine cranks.

I refer to the "factory main battery" above because different rules apply on the aftermarket Genesis dual battery kit, which I sense is beyond your needs.
Thanks so much for such a great response. I will look at that fuse.

here is where I plugged the Voswitch. It’s the red cable.
Jeep Wrangler JL External electric switch restarts with ESS restart 7B76DAAD-5E8E-4470-9FC6-A84E6D3B2BBD

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Is the LVCO active or inactive?

Sounds like it's active and when the ESS activates, the alternator stops, and your battery voltage is below the LVCO threshold so the switch shuts down.

OP
OP
yaniv05

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Is the LVCO active or inactive?

Sounds like it's active and when the ESS activates, the alternator stops, and your battery voltage is below the LVCO threshold so the switch shuts down.
Thanks for the response. I could deactivate the LVCO and test it, but doing so, will defeat the advantage of having a switch that will prevent the battery for dying.
I will do the rest and see what happens.

Thanks

OP
OP
yaniv05

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I deactivated the LVCO and it works perfectly. I just now have to be careful on not leaving anything on so the battery doesn't die.
Sponsored