Exterior Squeak 2020 4 Door Rubicon

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
I have an exterior squeak coming from my 2020 4 door rubicon. Sounds like maybe from underneath? Only notice it when drivers side window is open. Anyone run into this / know where it is coming from? Thx.

Vin.
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It could be one, or more, of a dozen, or more, things.

You are going to need to identify the circumstance and relate it to a condition, figure out the cause and effect relationship, and narrow down the possibilities until you zero in on the source.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The vehicle next to yours...?

OP
OP

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
This is getting more helpful by the second.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had a periodic knocking noise in one of my "other" cars. The noise was a new to me noise, not a normal noise. It annoyed the heck out me because I could hear it every time I hit a small bump (which occur every few inches out here) and because I knew it had to be something simple.

I put the car on jack stands and used a pry bar to stress all the pivots in the suspension system, the tie rod ends, the ball joints. I didn't find the source of the noise. I put a small video camera with remote display down in the wheel wells, and drove around while watching for a joint or pivot to move abnormally. I put the car back on jack stands. I spray lubed all the pivots in case binding was preventing me from pulling the joints enough to reveal a loose fit, and used a pry bar to stress all the pivots again. I gave up and figured I would drive it until something broke and then I could fix it. I eventually got aggravated and put the car back on jack stands and used a pry bar to stress all the pivots again, but I couldn't find what was making the noise.

This occurred over a period of a few months.

Finally, in exasperation I opened the hood and climbed on the front bumper and started jumping up and down like a mad man. Sure enough I heard a faint replica of the same sort of noise and was able to locate it.

The next day I pulled the front passenger McPherson strut out and replaced its top mount with an old used one that I had laying around. It took about 45 minutes. Problem solved.

The hard part was figuring out what the problem was.

For all I know you are a master mechanic who knows all this stuff, but for the sake of discussion, a checklist would be something like this:

ConstantPeriodic
Wheel assembly?: brakes, bearings, etc.Smooth road surface? shocks, control arm pivots, tie rod ends? etc.
Engine component? belts, pulleys etc.Bumpy road surface? shocks, control arm pivots, tie rod ends, springs, ball joints, u-joints,
sway bar connectors, etc.
etc.etc.

Good luck with it. I always assume a squeak is a cry for help, by something that is wearing faster than it was hoped to, so I understand why you may want to find it and fix it, but think it is unlikely that you find some sort of "known issue" info that will accelerate the process of discovering the source and fix.
Sponsored

Last edited: