Sponsored

Exterior Color Selection

Deleted member 59498

I always thought billet was just a standard color that everyone has for cars. Seems like it was around forever.
Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
I always thought billet was just a standard color that everyone has for cars. Seems like it was around forever.
It’s a shame that Billet isn’t currently available. It has a ridiculous amount of metal flake in it and really pops in bright light. It’s also slightly darker than many silvers, making it more interesting. I wonder if there’s some weird supply chain issue keeping it unavailable for the time being.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'd never choose a vehicle color solely for resale value,
Yea, "resale" may not be the exact term I'm looking for. More like a combo of "resale" and the level of buyer "remorse". For example, although I do really like some of the wild colors such as Hella and especially Punkn, I've never regretted having basic black. Years ago I briefly had a Grand Cherokee that may have been a prior version of Snazzberry, though it was basically a darker purple. Didn't mind it when I got it, but I grew to hate that thing because of the color. And when I was using the various KBB-like sites to get a value to trade it in, when I entered that color it decreased the value some.

Last edited:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

...I want a Rubicon and do not like the red accents on green (I think Christmas). Some people have replaced all the red accents, but replacing seat leather and the steering wheel seems like an expensive project.

There are other colors that I would order (Bikini, Mojito, or Punkn), if available, except IMO all the red Rubicon accents clash with non-neutral colors.
Honestly, the red Rubicon accents are 80% of the reason I have a Sahara and not a Rubicon. I did *extensive* research on this before ordering. It is stupid expensive to truly get rid of them, but there are basically 3 ways to do it (4 if you count just buying a Sahara. :)):
  1. Order a 4xe = probably the easiest, but also the most expensive. The 4xe comes with a BEAUTIFUL set of blue accents. They're just lovely. The tax credit makes this a bit better, but it's still a premium.
  2. Order black cloth/leather and remove yourself = cheapest, but a hassle. The dash panels and decals are obviously pretty easy to get rid of. It's the stitching that's a pain. Red stitching EVERYWHERE. The most common DIY solution is a fabric marker, but this is tedious as you have to go over every single thread, and it risks that coming off on your clothes/hands over time. No thanks.
  3. Order tan leather interior (to get grey stitching/accents) and then use Katskinz to go back to black = pretty pricey. It's $1.7K for the tan leather, and then another $1.8K for Katskinz (in my area) to go back to black. So you're dropping ~$4K extra (on top of Rubicon pricing) just to get a normal colored interior.
As I'm not likely to be doing many trails that need a Rubicon (that a Sahara can't handle), I'm happy with my Sahara.

Sponsored

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
I thought I only wanted a white jeep...ended up with granite crystal metallic. I love it with the black willy's wheels. I've only driven white, silver, gray, and black vehicles. Having said all that, I really look forward to my next jeep being a "skittles" color. It's a fun car and can handle being a fun color!

JeffNJ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler JLU Sport S Sarge Green
Hi there

I am planning to buy my new wrangler before the end of this year, thinking to get the Sport model 4-doors, but very confused about the exterior color. I would like to hear your opinions and preferences to help me choose better. I am a 40-year-old Male and want to use the Wrangler for casual use.

Colors: Sting-Gray, Sarge Green, Billet Silver, or Granite Crystal.

I feel the Granite might be too dark though.

thanks
I have a 79th anniversary edition Sport S. For me, it was Sarge Green all the way. Second choice would have been Sting Gray.

tempImagePXBKML.png

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
My first two wranglers I wasnt too concerned about color. My first wrangler was white. It always looked clean but I got tired of it quick. White looks best with body colored fenders and top in my opinion, which I didn't have. My JKU is billet silver and I love it! Black and this silver just go together perfectly. This JKU is a willys so the black rims really stand out. Now for my 4xe I ordered I wanted a fun color so went with Hydro Blue. The first wrangler I ever drove was a hydro blue rental. Now a Sarge was in transit when I was ordering and I could have gone with. I wish I did cause I'd have it weeks ago but oh well. Ive never really been into green but ever since ive second guessed not getting Sarge. Idk why but the JL and JLU body to me works best with bright metallic colors. So my current top colors are Hydro, Sarge and Fire Cracker Red. The JKs to me look better in the usual colors like Black, grey and silver. Just my opinion tho.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Out of your choices I'd say Sting Gray. Some are calling it flat, it is not as it is glossy. It is a solid color though with no flake or pearl, which I like. I think some use the term flat and solid interchangeably. Solid has no flake or pearl. Flat has no gloss, like military paint.

Billet is silver and is the "practical" color choice of every bland vehicle on the road. Just my opinion, coming from a guy with a white Jeep :LOL:

Granite has brown undertones in it, which I like and others are not so fond of. Looks great with blacked out trim and wheels. Can look like very different colors on cloudy vs sunny days.

At first really liked Sarge, but when I see it in bright sunlight it loses something, hard to put a finger on. Looks more like a toy soldier color is the only thing that comes to mind. Prob named after the Sarge character in Toy Story. Tank was the more serious version of olive green.

Snazzberry was mentioned. It's a deep red, almost maroon. In bright sunlight you might even see a little purple in it. Reminds of a Buick color for some reason.

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I have a firecracker rubicon, and I didn’t like that colour on sports and Sahara’s, but on the rubicon I loved it, I think the best thing was to try to find the one you are considering and look at it in person

Sponsored

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
Anything but black. I've been looking at buying a used JL and I swear 80% of them are black. I won't even consider them. I can't think of a worse color for a vehicle that will go offroad and get custom pinstripes from trees and bushes. Your color choices are all pretty good. But, except for the Sarge, they are all the 'safe' colors that dealer buy. If I was ordering a Jeep I would pick a more unique color. My first choice would be any earth tone color. Earth tone colors like Sarge, Gobi, Gator, always look great on Jeeps. Jeep should always have at least one of these in their color line up. I would love to see an orange earthtone like Moab rocks color or some copper orange color.

But back to your options. Although, as others have mentioned, the red accents don't look right with some colors (like orange). I would go with Sarge. I don't think the red looks bad against the green and its a more unique color than the 5 shades of gray. Even though all the gray look good. I just like something a little more unique and green is always fitting on a Jeep.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
Hi there

I am planning to buy my new wrangler before the end of this year, thinking to get the Sport model 4-doors, but very confused about the exterior color. I would like to hear your opinions and preferences to help me choose better. I am a 40-year-old Male and want to use the Wrangler for casual use.

Colors: Sting-Gray, Sarge Green, Billet Silver, or Granite Crystal.

I feel the Granite might be too dark though.

thanks
I'm also 40. Billet is no longer available, unfortunately. That was my first choice. I went with Granite Crystal. It's a beautiful color especially in person, on of the only colors left with metallic depth to the paint. I didn't want something dark either, but the sting grey looks muddy brown at night which I didnt care for, and Sarge Green isn't my taste unless it's spec'd with tan top and tan leather which I didn't want.

Also FYI if you're thinking about resale, it's actually the bright limited edition colors that have the highest resale. Something like Gecko or Punk'n (the latter isnt available at the moment) hold value best because they're fun and limited in supply.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Went with Sting-Gray. Originally thought about Billet, too light for my like. Also considered Granite, beautiful but too dark, so went with SG. Would have strongly considered Chief Blue. Looks so good in person but wasn't available.
Jeep Wrangler JL Exterior Color Selection 5E39A074-CF2B-4FC1-8A41-6546648EA7A7

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I had a granite crystal RAM 1500 and loved the color, in fact if and when I get another truck I likely will get that color again. The Rubicon red accents look really good with the granite.

However for my Jeep I wanted something bright - so I went hydro blue. Would have done mojito if it was still around.

Now if I would have found a granite crystal on the lot with the same specs as I ordered the hydro blue I would have gone ahead and purchased it and not waited for an order.

As somebody else mentioned, make sure you see the colors in real life, or at least a good picture. the online configurator does a terrible job of representing the different colors