Sponsored

Extension cable very useful for our modifications (Tazer or others) !

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Just got mine . To confirm, we don't have to Unmarry, we can just disconnect and reconnect everything. All live functions and the others will be good.
If taking in for service unmarry.

If you disconnect the Tazer and take the plugs from it and plug into the extension which is plugged into the SGW you’ll lose your live functions. Tazer had to be plugged in for live functions to work, all other settings will be fine though.
Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny

If you disconnect the Tazer and take the plugs from it and plug into the extension which is plugged into the SGW you’ll lose your live functions. Tazer had to be plugged in for live functions to work, all other settings will be fine though.
Well, thats a bummer, I use some of the live functions everyday I drive it. oh well another $37 wasted. I wish that had been listed in the description.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I’m sorry if this came up.

I use those 12 and 8 pin ports to very occasionally to connect a cable that allows me plug in a Bluetooth odb2 device to use the JScan software product to tell my Sahara that it has proximity locks: something I don’t have the FCA sales code for and have to reconfigure after a dealer flash (see the proximity locks thread).

are you guys saying that I can take out the 2 factory plugs in this gateway, plug the 12 and 8 pin...err..”extension cord” of this thread and then plug into this extension cord the two factory plugs, only taking them out when I want to plug in my 12 + 8 adapter that I bought to plug the odb2 programmer in,

Do my thing with JScan, unplug the odb2 device and it’s cable and replug in the two factory cables (that are hard to get out) into this extension cord and “call it a day?”

Reactions: GtX

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian

I use those 12 and 8 pin ports to very occasionally to connect a cable that allows me plug in a Bluetooth odb2 device to use the JScan software product to tell my Sahara that it has proximity locks: something I don’t have the FCA sales code for and have to reconfigure after a dealer flash (see the proximity locks thread).

are you guys saying that I can take out the 2 factory plugs in this gateway, plug the 12 and 8 pin...err..”extension cord” of this thread and then plug into this extension cord the two factory plugs, only taking them out when I want to plug in my 12 + 8 adapter that I bought to plug the odb2 programmer in,

Do my thing with JScan, unplug the odb2 device and it’s cable and replug in the two factory cables (that are hard to get out) into this extension cord and “call it a day?”
This is how I plan to use the extension. Only difference is I leave my Bluetooth OBD plugged in all the time, I will remove if I take Jeep to dealer.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This is how I plan to use the extension. Only difference is I leave my Bluetooth OBD plugged in all the time, I will remove if I take Jeep to dealer.
Fill me in. For you tazer users do you leave dangling the 12 and 8 pin factory connectors while the tazer is connected and “married?”

do these factory 12 and 8 pin connectors need to be connected to the gateway otherwise (when you don’t have th taser married and connected) or can these two plugs ( one 12 pin and one 8 pin) be permanently detached?

am I right in seeing the product of the thread as ( with no disrespect intended) two glorified extension cords: one 12 pin and one 8 pin?

thanks

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon

Yes, and when attaching the JScan back use the factory plugs and leave extension in place.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yes, and when attaching the Javan back use the factory plugs and leave extension in place.
Do the factory connectors need to be connected when something like a taxer or odb2. Port is not, just as the vehicle came from the factory?

thank you

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Do the factory connectors need to be connected when something like a taxer or odb2. Port is not, just as the vehicle came from the factory?

thank you
In regards to Tazer then yes. If I unplug my Tazer to go to dealer I will take the factory wires from the back of Tazer and place them into the extension female end, which will be just like factory. Except now you don’t have to struggle with the wires any longer in that tight position from factory.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian

thank you
I leave my Bluetooth OBD pugged into the 12 + 8 adapter and have driven hundreds of miles. I have not tried it without the OBD though.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Installed mine yesterday. It was just as big a pain in the ass as unplugging the original, but now everything is easily accessible.
I just did the same. The extension is even more difficult to install than the factory cables because they are taped together. At least I’ll never have to do it, again!!

Well, thats a bummer, I use some of the live functions everyday I drive it. oh well another $37 wasted. I wish that had been listed in the description.
How is this a waste of $37? Yes, you should unmarry and unplug any programmer before going in for service, but with this new extension in place it’s a breeze! Sans the extension cable, you have to deal with plugging the factory wires into the SGW every time you want to remove your Tazer, and then unplug them to reinstall it. I’ve done it a dozen times in 2.5 years and it sucks every single time. I’m super pleased with these cables. Well worth the $$.

Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
The way it is explained above you can't use the extension if you want live features, like killing the ESS. I'f I'm misunderstanding that, GREAT. I hope I am.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The way it is explained above you can't use the extension if you want live features, like killing the ESS. I'f I'm misunderstanding that, GREAT. I hope I am.
You are misunderstanding.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I guess I misunderstood this.

chewieHVT

First Name
MV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
My extension is installed. Live functions work.

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How is it I can complain to myself to no end how difficult it can be to get those two plugs out of the SWG port and yet not think of this myself!!!

How many other things in my life are inventions yet to be realized for pain in the arse jobs I do, that could make me $??!!!

Anyone else ever think that. ; - )
Sponsored