Extending the spare tire bump stops

Garri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2020
Aluminum spacers turned on my lathe

IMG_20190830_151147054.jpg
Nice looking! Can you give us details about where to find this kind of spacers and how you fixed it? Using a thread nuts maybe?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The tire bump stops that are included with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit are the same as the OEM ones only longer. All of these DIY ones are ingenious and look like they work as well as the factory ones, but honestly most of them are pretty jacked up looking. Which isn’t that big a deal I suppose as they aren’t easily visible. But has anyone looked into availability of the longer OEM ones separately from the tailgate reinforcement?

EDIT: I got a part number: 68297542AA. They’re 2” long. I don’t know the part number or length of the OEM ones but they’re shorter.

image.jpg

image.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The tire bump stops that are included with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit are the same as the OEM ones only longer. All of these DIY ones are ingenious and look like they work as well as the factory ones, but honestly most of them are pretty jacked up looking. Which isn’t that big a deal I suppose as they aren’t easily visible. But has anyone looked into availability of the longer OEM ones separately from the tailgate reinforcement?

EDIT: I got a part number: 68297542AA. They’re 2” long. I don’t know the part number or length of the OEM ones but they’re shorter.
Good find^^^
Mine look just fine IMO, and just (2) 3/4" PVC couplers and a pair of stool pads (about $10 total), and they have more range to go outward if you leave more of the coupler intact.
BTW, Sorry about your Saints, pretty much every team I wanted to win last weekend lost so :(

Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops IMG_0451.JPG

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Good find^^^
Mine look just fine IMO, and just (2) 3/4" PVC couplers and a pair of stool pads (about $10 total), and they have more range to go outward if you leave more of the coupler intact.
BTW, Sorry about your Saints, pretty much every team I wanted to win last weekend lost so :(

Those are less unattractive than most. They almost look OEM. And as I said, most people probably don’t care how they look since they aren’t seen unless you’re specifically looking for them.

Do you know the length or part number for the OEM bump stops?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Those are less unattractive than most. They almost look OEM. And as I said, most people probably don’t care how they look since they aren’t seen unless you’re specifically looking for them.

Do you know the length or part number for the OEM bump stops?
I'm in Las Vegas now, no tape measure lol :) Earlier in this thread it lists JK bumpstops as being longer than JLs so that may be an option too.
The OEM JL bumpstops are here
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/spare-tire-bumper-jl-68290297AA

And the JK bump stops, it lists the length on those as 2 5/8"
https://www.quadratec.com/products/55221_0013_14.htm

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm in Las Vegas now, no tape measure lol :) Earlier in this thread it lists JK bumpstops as being longer than JLs so that may be an option too.
Place a $100 roulette bet on 28 for me. Thanks.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs

I ended up using hockey pucks and it’s worked out perfectly so far but have resigned myself to eventually getting an aftermarket tire carrier.

RIVICON

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2006 Tacoma, 1991 Z28 406ci Turbski
Was looking around for bump Stop extension ideas and came across this thread. My spare has a - 38mm offset so I cut two 5" pieces of 1" pvc pipe and used 1.25" rubber leg tips. Then covered the pipe with wire loom. I think it looks alright.
Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops 20210414_130407
Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops 20210414_130353
Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops 20210414_130552

Last edited:

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Was looking around for bump Stop extension ideas and came across this thread. My spare has a - 38mm offset so I cut two 5" pieces of 1" pvc pipe and used 1.25" rubber leg tips. Then covered the pipe with wire loom. I think it looks alright.
Nice wheels!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Once that one starts moving the spare tire out further, that is then adding additional stress to the tailgate.
Why not just purchase the Teraflex HD hinge and carrier, and adjust the spare tire/wheel correctly, and save on possible tailgate damage.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys

image.jpg

image.jpg
Realize this is an old thread but I've started to look into it a little bit. From the instructions for the Tailgate Reinforcement kit by itself: https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...tructions/Tailgate_Reinforcement_Kit_JL_0.PDF

Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 2.09.50 AM

The part number is what you found: 68297542AA. The piece you posted is super cheap...these look like Amazon copies of the ones you found, and for something useful there's a pic compared to the original stock one: https://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Bumper-Exterior-Accessories-Wrangler/dp/B08SWDSQQK

From the instructions for the Oversize Tire Kit that's supposed to be installed with the reinforcement panel, also seen here seen on Quadratec: https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...ons/MOPAR_Oversized_Spare_Tire_Carrier_JL.PDF

Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 12.11.25 AM

Looks the part number is 68413710AA. But when I google that, the prices on Mopar pages or eBay are for like $150??!! (is that why the oversize kit is so expensive, like $300, for the metal/hardware on its own? The rubber??).

And FYI original stock one's part number is 68290297AA. Came from this eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334263197334, and saw that on Quadratec too. Also cheap like the tailgate reinforcement one.

Last edited:

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
In another thread, someone posted using a racquetball as a spacer. I thought I’d try it until I decide on a more permanent solution. It’s a pretty snug fit! I chose red to match some other red trim parts ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops IMG_3085

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In another thread, someone posted using a racquetball as a spacer. I thought I’d try it until I decide on a more permanent solution. It’s a pretty snug fit! I chose red to match some other red trim parts ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Extending the spare tire bump stops IMG_3085
And when you get to camp you'll be able to play fetch w/ your hound :)
Sponsored