Sponsored

Extending Breather Tubes

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Has anyone extended the breather hoses yet?
The rear axle breather hose is very low. it even sits below the top of the stock tire and only a couple of inches above the axle itself. Theres a cap on the hose that the JKs didnt have though. Does anyone know if thats a waterproof/one way cap that wont allow water in?

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Did a little digging incase anyone is interested

-the transfer case breather hose is about an inch in length and sits on the top of the transfer case. It has the same style cap as the rear axle hose shown above

-The transmissions breather hose is like the JK and is extended into the top of the engine bay (has JK style cap)

-The front axle breather hose is like the JK and is mounted next to the front drivers shock. (has JK style cap)

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Pretty sure its a one way, blows off pressure but cant suck air in. But im not 100% @chevymitchell will probably know hes smart
Funny you should mention me here....

My rear pinion seal blew out yesterday right after showing up to the Jamboree here at SMORR.

That valve is a one way valve. Pressure is allowed to be released, but when the diff is submerged, the pressure difference sucks the valve closed so you don’t suck in any water.

Make sure this valve is clear and clean, otherwise, if pressure is allowed to build in the diff without it, that pressure will find the next weakest point to push the pressure and fluid out. In my case, the pinion seal.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you should mention me here....

My rear pinion seal blew out yesterday right after showing up to the Jamboree here at SMORR.

That valve is a one way valve. Pressure is allowed to be released, but when the diff is submerged, the pressure difference sucks the valve closed so you don’t suck in any water.

Make sure this valve is clear and clean, otherwise, if pressure is allowed to build in the diff without it, that pressure will find the next weakest point to push the pressure and fluid out. In my case, the pinion seal.
Well that sucks, but good to know!

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
So where do you route the rear axle and transfer case breather?

OP
OP
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Well if the caps work as intended it sounds like you shouldnt need to extend them, but in the JKs we would route the rear axle up and behind the passenger side tail light and the transfer case into the engine bay next to the transmission breather

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to extend that rear axle breather, it makes me nervous. And I don’t like relying on a valve when a longer tube would do (and a valve). My TJR rear axle breaker tube comes up to the gas filler neck. I don’t know what or how I’m going deal with the transfer case....

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
For what it's worth I have done lots of water crossings over the past year and never had any water get in.

Sponsored

MarkM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Project Manager
I am in the process of extending them now. I am seeing posts about valves, but they look flaky to me. This is the front axle valve which does not look like it would seal up. The cover is loose and even if it closes, it looks like the notches in the tube could let water in.

I will run the front axle tubing up to the area near the wiring over the master cylinder and the rear to the tail light housing area. I think I will do something similar to the TC as the transmission or tie it to the front axle breather as they are so close.

20200927_220342.jpg

20200927_220404.jpg

20200927_220411.jpg

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

ErrolSmith

First Name
Errol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Up into the right hand tail light cavity.
Some good notes on this thread if you haven't checked them yet.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/water-in-the-trans-moving-tubes.44093/page-2

I managed to extend all my breathers this weekend. The TC breather is a complete dog to get to.
Best tip - use a small mirror to locate the TC breather. It has the same Gore filter as the rear diff breather. But trying to pull that off with 1 hand lying under the truck ..... and then make sure you can insert the new barb for your extensions....

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I installed the below kit which extends all the breathers into the air box.
https://haukoffroad.com/shop-by/manufacturer/hauk-offroad/breather-hose-extension-kit-universal/
This seems like a fitting opportunity to gripe about Hauk Offroad. First, every link on this forum to any of their products ends at a 404 page. I dug through their online catalog to find the item I was seeking (not the breather kit), and I was eventually able to order it. I ordered on May 18. The item was not listed as backordered.

Second, after I exchanged a few emails with customer service, they told me on June 8, "Your order is being sent into powder coating today and will ship before the end of the week."

Today is June 14. The week in question ended. My order is still "awaiting shipment."

Maybe supporting American workers isn't even worth it. I mean damn, the least you can do is communicate to your customers how long of a wait they should expect, before they part with cash.

Even if I could find the overpriced breather tube extender kit to which you referred, I don't think I would buy it. Not after checking on my big dollar order to find out that it still hasn't even shipped yet. They may be Americans, but I know plenty of Americans who are assholes, and I'm looking straight at you, Hauk Offroad. I bet Hauk is even Pennsylvania Dutch for "asshole." I'm probably just some ignorant rube chump for even trying to buy your overpriced crap.

Humbug!!!
Sponsored