First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Extended warranties are terrible. Until you need one. Exactly the same as an insurance policy. You pay and you pay and you likely will rarely need insurance. But, when you do, it’s money well spent.

OP, most likely you will NOT need the extended warranty. BUT, a Jeep is full of electronic gizmos these days and they can cost a lot to fix. If it sets your mind at ease, buy the warranty. You have insurance on your house right? Ever had your house burn down? No? ..... but that insurance may let you sleep a bit better..._ same with the extended warranty on the Jeep.

I had an extended warranty on a 1987 Ford Thunderbird. Glad I got it as it essentially covered power windows that fried 1x per year and an a/c unit that was toast 1x/year. The extended warranty more than paid for itself.

i have owned Toyotas, Audis, BMWs, Mini’s, and Acura’s since then. Never purchased another warranty —- until I purchased this Jeep. why? Jeep’s reliability leaves something to be desired.

your decision.
David, I agree with almost everything you said with one proviso. The insurance is a waste until you need it argument is more valid with catastrophic, life-changing events - like your burning house example. For me, at least, that justification is more difficult to swallow in the case of vehicle repairs.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
David, I agree with almost everything you said with one proviso. The insurance is a waste until you need it argument is more valid with catastrophic, life-changing events - like your burning house example. For me, at least, that justification is more difficult to swallow in the case of vehicle repairs.
Fair enough.

But, for many people who need the use of a car every single day, being without their FCA Gem-quality Jeep for a month or two while FCA hunts for a back-ordered blinker fluid pump ...... could be a “life-changing“ event. The extended warranty puts you into a “free” loaner....... ($35/day * 60 days) + the cost of repairs...... you could be looking at $5k of total cost out of pocket. For many, balancing that cash flow is not easy..... having it “covered“ for the price of insurance (what? $1500? $1700) may make sense for some.

if Jeep had a “quality” rating of Lexus (same price points), I would suggest not to buy the warranty. But, Jeeps suck according to every bit of aggregate rating out there. So, just like my ‘87 Thunderbird (which also sucked in aggregate), a warranty on a Jeep might, just might pay-off and, it may make the owner sleep better.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Can't disagree. Like I said a few posts ago, I'm a hypocrite. I subscribed to the GEICO MBI out of fear of the diesel's reliability. Also, it was way cheap. :)

runningshoes

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Fair enough.
if Jeep had a “quality” rating of Lexus (same price points), I would suggest not to buy the warranty. But, Jeeps suck according to every bit of aggregate rating out there. So, just like my ‘87 Thunderbird (which also sucked in aggregate), a warranty on a Jeep might, just might pay-off and, it may make the owner sleep better.
Completely anecdotal but the display/nav/radio went out this week on my wife's 2017 NX200 and of course I didn't get the extended warranty on it because....... it's a Lexus (luckily it's still under warranty). Now I'm not saying Jeep's use much crappier parts than Lexus, but for sure the vehicle quality is not the same on assembly and that's why I think the warranty makes sense on a new Jeep.
Sponsored