Sponsored

Extended Warranty (Y/N)?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You realize you could have also typed:

"I just found out the oil pan seal ruptured in my JLUR because the Jeep dealerships are STILL putting in 6 quarts of oil instead of 5. I didn't have to use the extended warranty I bought because the dealerships are paying for their own mistakes."

The dealership told me they filed it as a warranty claim to FCA. Multiple dealerships had overfilled the oil during different oil changes. I agree the dealerships should pay for their mistakes instead of FCA, but as long as I didn’t have to pay, doesn’t technically matter to me. I’m not sure how one dealership could distribute the cost amongst the multiple dealerships to pay for it. I have no idea if the last overfill caused the problem or if it was due to a problem over time and multiple overfills where the last overfill was the straw that broke the camels back.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This is the most succinct and best way to put it.

I will, however, throw one wrinkle in the premise you explain. I don't get the extended warranty AND I "root" for something to go wrong with the Jeep. Why?

AFTERMARKET UPGRADES!
"Root" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. My point was, once you invest in an extended warranty, ironically, you tend to want to prove that your purchase was worth it. There are dozens of posts on this forum where warranty purchasers proudly talk about how many repairs were covered and how good a financial decision they made in buying an extended warranty. That's tantamount to rooting.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
"Root" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. My point was, once you invest in an extended warranty, ironically, you tend to want to prove that your purchase was worth it. There are dozens of posts on this forum where warranty purchasers proudly talk about how many repairs were covered and how good a financial decision they made in buying an extended warranty. That's tantamount to rooting.
Oh, I know. And you're right.

I just kinda "root" for things to go wrong after my warranty expires. "Honey, I just hit 36,001 miles, and one of my shocks is bad. I think I need to get some new shocks. Maybe those 2-way adjustable, variable rate, coilover ones with the remote reservoir."

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Mopar extended warranty is great and can be purchased over phone from Mopar.

Almost always if you purchase from a dealer, they will rake you over the coals and it’s a third party warranty. Third party warranties can be a nightmare.

on that note, I have used it to do some TSBs for steering box replacement as well and diagnose some electrical issues. The warranty paid for the diagnose cost but no repairs were made. If this was a third party, they would not have covered the diagnose cost because there was nothing repaired.
I purchased one on day of sale but it wasn’t Mopar; it was Zurich. After clutch pressure plate blew up, found out it won’t cover a clutch, period. And it doesn’t kick in until vehicle is 3 years old. Wish I’d saved my money.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Just got a max care, mopar 0 deductible 8 year 60000 miles for 1606 dollars from Tom Winkles . My factory warranty runs out end of august. This basically means 5 more years starting after the end of august. I purchased it primarily because of the possible electric gremlins that can occur, from what I have been reading on the forum. Hell, the radio goes kaput and the warranty paid for itself.

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
I purchased the 8 year /85000 mile max care ($200 deductible) for $1190. I called and was going to get the 7/75 but he pointed out the 8/85K was $80 cheaper. (Mopar direct)

1. I am retired and expect to go on a lot of trips but otherwise not drive much. 10-12K miles per year may cover it, but who knows.

2. with inflation going nuts, I will hedge the costs since I no longer have an income (social security is at least 4 years away) and all the money I have for retirement......is.....well ......... all the money i have...

3. I have always been a believer that these things are a racket and the company has the numbers and know where to put the breakeven point so they make a profit. This is true in the aggregate for a bean counter level but not always true for the individual level . The individual level is where I sit.

4. Frankly, I hope I lose my shirt on this Max care purchase. It means the Jeep ran great without problems for 8 years!!!!! but if it doesn't, I will sleep at night knowing someone else is writing the check.

When I bought my kitchen appliances the 5 year coverage plan was $700. My refrigerator ended up with a minor 2 inch stain (on the stainless steel) where the stainless flecked off... the solution was to replace the refrigerator doors. The coverage plan bought me out instead and sent me a check for $1800 to buy a new fridge.

I'm still using the fridge and meanwhile my dishwasher, stove and microwave is still covered for 2 more years :rock:

Quality ain't what it used to be.....
Sponsored