First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So my warranty expires on the 9th. I received the "hey purchase an extended one" email the other day. I called to check prices and it's a few grand for the longest extension. JL only has 28K miles on it, and can't make a decision.

What has everyone else done here and can you help me choose? Not sure it's worth it imo...

Thanks,
Blake
Sponsored

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
So my warranty expires on the 9th. I received the "hey purchase an extended one" email the other day. I called to check prices and it's a few grand for the longest extension. JL only has 28K miles on it, and can't make a decision.

What has everyone else done here and can you help me choose? Not sure it's worth it imo...

Thanks,
Blake
Mopar extended warranty is great and can be purchased over phone from Mopar.

Almost always if you purchase from a dealer, they will rake you over the coals and it’s a third party warranty. Third party warranties can be a nightmare.

on that note, I have used it to do some TSBs for steering box replacement as well and diagnose some electrical issues. The warranty paid for the diagnose cost but no repairs were made. If this was a third party, they would not have covered the diagnose cost because there was nothing repaired.

Last edited:

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer

Thanks,
Blake
I'd say YES, YES and HELL yes! This is FCA product and lots of shit can go wrong so you will get your money's worth or at least you can sleep at night and not worry about expensive crap breaking on you. But be sure to request a factory extended warranty that is bumper to bumper and not some service agreement or some setup only with that particular dealership. And like others have said, negotiate. If they don't want to, get up and leave and go to another dealership.
I plan to do the same when my Jeep arrives!

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
That's a hard "No" dog.

A warranty is a big money maker for the company. They are priced to insure they make money on the law of large numbers.

If you can afford to insure yourself then do it. Insurance companies are very profitable. Ask Warren Buffett.

Edited to add:
I drive a diesel JL. Probably one of the most feared engine options there is. So, my money is on the line.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
On just about any other product, say no to the salesperson when they offer. I used to get a commission 2-3x the rate of a regular product, so you do the math.

However, there are some cases where it makes sense, and I think this is one of them. Just make sure there aren’t any catches/exclusions that make it a bad deal.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

Thanks,
Blake
Check out Chrysler Warranty Direct . 8-85-100 max care was $1255 for 392. Worth it to me in case of “ catastrophic failure “

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
That's a hard "No" dog.

A warranty is a big money maker for the company. They are priced to insure they make money on the law of large numbers.

If you can afford to insure yourself then do it. Insurance companies are very profitable. Ask Warren Buffett.

Edited to add:
I drive a diesel JL. Probably one of the most feared engine options there is. So, my money is on the line.
Totally agree - most of us purchase lots of products where you can purchase an extended warranty. I’ve elected to forego all of them and insure myself. I haven’t been burned yet but I’m sure at some point I will but the way I see it I’m up 10’s of thousands of dollars at this point.

• Love
Reactions: GtX

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
Totally agree - most of us purchase lots of products where you can purchase an extended warranty. I’ve elected to forego all of them and insure myself. I haven’t been burned yet but I’m sure at some point I will but the way I see it I’m up 10’s of thousands of dollars at this point.
The real question some people need to ask themselves is if a new transmission is required, will you have the $6000 cash on hand for the replacement.
I purchased a Mopar warranty at 34k miles. I have used it for $2500 worth of work already. I’m have not broke even yet but the warranty covers bumper to bumper for unlimited miles for 7 years. This basically gives me coverage on my 2018 JLUR up until 2025.
I Jeep hard sometimes and sometimes stuff breaks. I’m sure by 2025, I will be way ahead. I also already have 63k miles on the JLUR and by 2025, I’ll expect to have well over 150k miles.
If you plan on keeping the Jeep, then it may be worth it. The reliability of FCA and Jeeps are not the best so I opted for coverage just because a radio is $1800, steering box is $700, Axle sway bar disconnect system that frequently gets submerged in water is $2800.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
That's a hard "No" dog.

Edited to add:
If this was a Toyota or a Honda product, I would agree with you but with a company with a so/so record of quality and reliability, I believe people are best served to extend their bumper to bumper factory warranty to at least cover the duration of the loan. If you have enough cash flow to cover a high ticket item failing on the Jeep then you can roll the dice but most people can't readily swing for a significant engine damage or expensive electronic failure so a warranty rolled into a payment plan is their best hedge against such failures. The extended warranties for my dad's two Cadillac's come to mind. They saved us from huge debts and more than paid for themselves.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales

Thanks,
Blake
We offer a free no hassle quote on our site. Or you can call us directly. We would also be glad to answer any questions.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If this was a Toyota or a Honda product, I would agree with you but with a company with a so/so record of quality and reliability, I believe people are best served to extend their bumper to bumper factory warranty to at least cover the duration of the loan. If you have enough cash flow to cover a high ticket item failing on the Jeep then you can roll the dice but most people can't readily swing for a significant engine damage or expensive electronic failure so a warranty rolled into a payment plan is their best hedge against such failures. The extended warranties for my dad's two Cadillac's come to mind. They saved us from huge debts and more than paid for themselves.
I get it.

People are generally very poor at judging risk and tend to overweight low probability events especially if they have experienced the event in the past or know someone who has. Extended warranties, state lotteries, and vaccines come to mind. Their estimation of their risk leads them to pay for piece of mind. But, there are alternative strategies to provide ones insurance needs where risk is quantifiable and limited such as for power tools, vehicles (breakdown, collision), and even homes.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
After some costly repairs on the first few new vehicles I purchased earlier in my life I have always bought an extended warranty for the rest of them. For every Chrysler vehicle I have ever bought, an extended warranty would have paid for itself by the time I sold or traded it in. We usually keep our vehicles a long time, about 7-10 years, so if you switch more often then an extended warranty might not be as beneficial to you.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ill be asking myself this same question next year, when my 3/36 is up. On the plus side, I believe the cost of the warranty is refunded if you don't use it; when Shop Labor rates are $100+ per hour, and parts cost in the hundreds, at the low end, I can look at the factory backed Warranty as a forced Savings Account and have peace of mind.

OP
OP

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So I think I'm going to go with the 85K / 5 extra years / $100 deductible route. Adding the chysler care thing for an extra $60 that gives me a full refund at the end of term if I never use it....
Sponsored