extended warranty worth it?

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
I just purchased a 2019 JLU with the 2.0 Etorque engine and 18k miles on it. Normally I would never consider an extended warranty, but this being a turbo motor with the complex etorque system I took the bait and purchased the warranty. Now, to get it done the dealer made some concessions. The warranty was $2,450 for 5 year 60kmile bumper to bumper after the factory warranty expires in 2022. I negotiated a $500 credit on the sale price of the Jeep and they bought my rate down to 3.5% to make the monthly payment number work for me.

So, I got a really good deal on the vehicle by purchasing the warranty, I have the option to cancel it and get a full refund if I so choose and I keep the discount and rate obviously which was kind of my plan at first, but now I'm thinking for the $2450 I should probably keep this warranty for an extra 60K miles of coverage due to the complexity of this drive train. What do you guys think? Worth it for piece of mind for a few extra years, or pocket the $2450 right now?

TYIA
Sponsored

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
I just purchased a 2019 JLU with the 2.0 Etorque engine and 18k miles on it. Normally I would never consider an extended warranty, but this being a turbo motor with the complex etorque system I took the bait and purchased the warranty. Now, to get it done the dealer made some concessions. The warranty was $2,450 for 5 year 60kmile bumper to bumper after the factory warranty expires in 2022. I negotiated a $500 credit on the sale price of the Jeep and they bought my rate down to 3.5% to make the monthly payment number work for me.

So, I got a really good deal on the vehicle by purchasing the warranty, I have the option to cancel it and get a full refund if I so choose and I keep the discount and rate obviously which was kind of my plan at first, but now I'm thinking for the $2450 I should probably keep this warranty for an extra 60K miles of coverage due to the complexity of this drive train. What do you guys think? Worth it for piece of mind for a few extra years, or pocket the $2450 right now?

TYIA
It really depends how long you plan on keeping it. You have around 2-3 years left on the powertrain warranty which should cover any engine issues you might have.

OP
OP
RLC2020

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
It really depends how long you plan on keeping it. You have around 2-3 years left on the powertrain warranty which should cover any engine issues you might have.
We are keeping past the factory warranty and at least to 100k. This is my wife's dream car so it's not going anywhere unless she gets pregnant with triplets or something, lol.

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
We are keeping past the factory warranty and at least to 100k. This is my wife's dream car so it's not going anywhere unless she gets pregnant with triplets or something, lol.
I bought the extended warranty mostly for all the electronics especially with all the bouncing around you will do rock crawling. But I got 0% APR. I never EVER purchase warranty, but my first off-roader and with me off-roading every weekend glad I did. May pay off, may not

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I generally don't up front as I rarely keep cars for more than 2 years and that is plenty of time with the factory warranty. In addition, consider whether you are going to keep your vehicle all stock. If you are, then the warranty can be considered. If not, although they technically need to prove the fault being on your modifications, I feel it reduces the effectiveness and security of the warranty enough to not purchase it.

Most extended warranties can be added as long as the factory warranty has not expired. You should check on the requirements of the specific warranty you are interested in. As with all vehicles, some are gems, and some have their share of issues. I usually take the extra $ that would have gone towards the purchase of a warranty and put it in a savings account and 'self-insure'. If during the factory warranty period, the car runs into issues that are more minor but I find they happen more frequently or tend to cost a lot, I generally purchase the warranty before the factory warranty is expired. If the car has been solid, I just continue to self-insure. And if it is very problematic, I sell it. This is if I get to the end of the warranty period and I plan to keep the car, so it would likely be applicable to those of you who keep your cars a long time.

But overall, keep in mind that warranty companies don't make money by paying out claims. So they always make money on the selling price. Some cars will have worse reliability and more costly claims, but the bulk of the cars have very little warranty issues compared to the premium charged on the purchase. So generally, warranties are not worth it, unless as noted above, you tend to have a car that has more gremlins but you feel the overall reliability is satisfactory enough that you want to keep the car and reduce the potential for expensive long term costs.

Sponsored

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Depends on your mod plans. I looked at a half dozen and found that none of them covered anything if your vehicle has over 2"" of lift.

OP
OP
RLC2020

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
Depends on your mod plans. I looked at a half dozen and found that none of them covered anything if your vehicle has over 2"" of lift.
definitely not lifting it. This is the wife's daily and she want's it stock (or relatively so).

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I bought the extended warranty mostly for all the electronics especially with all the bouncing around you will do rock crawling. But I got 0% APR. I never EVER purchase warranty, but my first off-roader and with me off-roading every weekend glad I did. May pay off, may not
Did the same. This is my second JL and I want to keep this one longer. Peace of mind against electronic gremlins.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I purchased the extended warranty on my 2021 JLUR. The warranty I purchased would cover with a lift up to 6”. It’s in the fine print. But I had to pay a lift kit addendum price of an extra $300. The small print didn’t say anything about tire size but they said they’d follow what Jeep does on that so 37” tires are ok. As long as you have a dealer or shop that doesn’t valk at mods. I have both. All the dealers around me are modification friendly and have zero issues getting warranty work done with 37” tires on a rubicon and 35” on sports. The extended warranty company said that I can use any shop for work they are covering as long as they use ASE certified mechanics.

I did get my dealer to cover the “lift kit” extra money.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager

TYIA
Take at least the
Not all bad...Mopar MaxCare covers up to 4" lift if you use Mopar products and is 'professionally' installed (=not necessarily a dealer).

Mopar Vehicle Protection Lift Kit Coverage (chryslerwarrantys.com)

Jeep Wrangler JL extended warranty worth it? 1630588467742

Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I just purchased a 2019 JLU with the 2.0 Etorque engine and 18k miles on it. Normally I would never consider an extended warranty, ...

TYIA

Florida extended Mopar warranty purchasers are forced to pay full retail (no discounts from online out of state retailers). That sucks, but there is a work a round. All you need is a friend or relative with an out of state address. Use that when you buy the warranty, get the documents electronically (uncheck snail mail), then in a week, month whatever, simply let them know you moved to Florida. Voila, you just saved $1000 or more. ;)

Example: Get a quote here with your state listed as Florida, then try the same quote with any other state...

Mopar Vehicle Protection extended warranty, Instant Quotes (chryslerwarrantys.com)

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
I am not a fan of 3rd party warranties. These company’s come and go, and are huge profit centers for dealerships. I would verify that it specifically states 5yr/60k AFTER the 3yr/36k factory warranty expires and it is not 5yr/60k from the day YOU took delivery or worse yet the original in-service date. Is their a deductible? Can you go to the dealer for service?

Also, if I am not mistaken, the eTorque system (BSG, 48v battery, etc) is already warrantied for 8yr/80k. I think you could still buy a Mopar warranty for cheaper than $2,450 through Ziegler or Tom Winkels, as you are under 24k miles. Tom quoted me a 8yr/85k/$100 for $1,165 on my 2021 eTorque, bc I was still under 12k miles.

I just priced it out on Ziegler and getting $1470 (8yr/85k/$100) with code PAYINFULL, provided you can use an out of state address.

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/process/quickquote.aspx?type=primary

or

[email protected]

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
From my reading the original post, this is a Mopar factory extended Warranty, not 3rd party.
The wording of extended warranties can be misleading, as they start coverage from the "in service date" of vehicle, that's the original purchase zero miles . Since there is 3/ 36 factory warranty, the actual coverage is 2 year, 24,000 miles.
8/80 on the Etorque system, Federal Mandate.
The good news, 100% refundable if you don't need it, so good for
" Peace of Mind ", a kind of forced savings account

OP
OP
RLC2020

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
The dealer told me it was 60k past the factory coverage, but it is not a Mopar warranty, it's aftermarket. I see zeigler offers 8yr 100k warranty for $2,410. so same coverage and same price. That's using a CT address that I can use. Doesn't seem to be any savings going to that vs what I have. I'm assuming that means 8yr 100k from new. so the same as my 5yr 60k after factory that I have.
EDIT: using the discount code it drops $400, and that is a Mopar warranty not aftermarket. Is that worth it you think? I'm about to just cancel my warranty and maybe roll the dice, especially knowing the Etorque is covered for 80k. I did not realize that before.
Sponsored