Extended Warranty-2020 Jeep Sahara 4 door wrangler

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My brand new purchased 2020 jeep 3 year warranty is up end of this year. I am contemplating to buy 7 year 115k kms. (Canada) extended warranty for CAD $ 4200 (Inclusive of all taxes). Currently, due to covid, it has only 9000 kms. on it. For peace of mind, I am thinking of the ext warranty. Need some advise :

1. Is it worth it.
2. What is covered.
3. Is there room to bargain. e.g. Ask for free oil change for 7 years included.
4. Is it transferable.
5. Any other twists to the cork.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Coverage and laws are possibly very different between the US and Canada. In the US extended warranties are actually insurance or service contracts. They are regulated by State and every State is different. I doubt anyone in the US will be able to offer good advice because of that. You need to look up how extended warranties work in Canada and in your province.

Is your quote for a FCA backed Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty? What kind of deductible?

I would pass if you can't get a HUGE discount on the warranty. $4200cad=$3300usd today. That is a lot of money for 48 months of warranty. Plus you have really low miles.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am in a somewhat similar situation: 2018, Sahara, 9,000 miles. Warranty ends in November of this year.

My JL has been trouble-free so far, which is more than I can say about my dealer, who is an absolute pain in the ass. Because of this, I am leaning towards not extending the warranty. The last thing I want to do is extend the agony of dealing with the sons of bitches.

I have two excellent independent shops near me. I think I am ready to take my chances with them.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will say this. FCA products historically have been at the bottom of the barrel for just about every QA/QC survey. There are always fliers statistically but I would say my personal experience with their products reflect this. I owned several Jeep products over the years. Currently own 2 now.

My last '19 JLR was trouble free until about 30 months and 20K miles. At 20K miles issues started to come up. I had several warranty issues back to back. I had a rocking driver seat that made noise (defective frame), a passenger seat that got stuck in the forward position (common problem for 2-doors), a bad Proximity antenna for the driver-side door, a bad Proximity connection for the tailgate, a bad passenger side power mirror, leaking rear shock (common), bad speaker phone wiring or mic, bad rear-view camera (common), multiple bad radio head units and UConnect 4 issues (common). The radio head unit/UConnect issues were never resolved. Everything else was repaired under warranty.

I had no mechanical issues with the drive-train. The 2.0T eTorque and automatic transmission were flawless.

I'd almost consider selling while prices are still inflated and adding the $4200cad into a Brand new Wrangler? I have no idea of Canadian prices but you might be very surprised. Or maybe not? Used prices have been up/down the last few weeks.

I sold my '19 JLR for what I originally paid brand new, all-in. I ordered a new 2022 JLR for about $1500 more net. 3 full model years newer and a fresh new warranty.

Not trying to add anymore confusion. Just making suggestions to maybe help you consider thinking outside the box. Feel free to tell me to bug off! :LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Where can I find details about the extended warranty (what is covered, etc.) for canadian coverage.
Fyi : My new jeep came assembled from US !

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Where can I find details about the extended warranty (what is covered, etc.) for canadian coverage.
Fyi : My new jeep came assembled from US !
You can start by calling your dealer in Canada about extended warranties. See if Mopar Max Care Warranties are available in Canada.

Actually I just found this.
https://www.mopar.com/en-ca/my-vehicle/warranty.html

All Wranglers are built in Toledo OH.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My JL has been remarkably trouble-free. Knock on wood!

But I am at point were this Jeep to start giving me problems, I’d cut my losses, sell it and buy a Toyota Tacoma.

Thing is, after 30+ years interacting with all types of dealers, I never imagined anyone could provide the appalling customer service that I’ve received from this dealer.

I know I’d miss dearly owning a Wrangler, but I’d hate to own a Jeep that requires constant interactions with these a-holes.

It would be a sad end to my lifelong loyalty to Chrysler and Jeep; more so given my love for Wranglers. But nothing is worth the level of pain and aggravation this dealer can inflict.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I got a premium plan through Carshield. It was around $1,500 to cover me for 5 years up to 125,000 miles. Not sure if they offer plans in Canada, but might be worth checking into.

OP
OP

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks much JSFoster75. I just checked, and there is Carshield Canada. I am going to get a quote from them.
Anyone else on the forum have any experience wit Carshield ?

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JL has been remarkably trouble-free. Knock on wood!

But I am at point were this Jeep to start giving me problems, I’d cut my losses, sell it and buy a Toyota Tacoma.

Thing is, after 30+ years interacting with all types of dealers, I never imagined anyone could provide the appalling customer service that I’ve received from this dealer.

I know I’d miss dearly owning a Wrangler, but I’d hate to own a Jeep that requires constant interactions with these a-holes.

It would be a sad end to my lifelong loyalty to Chrysler and Jeep; more so given my love for Wranglers. But nothing is worth the level of pain and aggravation this dealer can inflict.
Maybe try a different dealer?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks much JSFoster75. I just checked, and there is Carshield Canada. I am going to get a quote from them.
Anyone else on the forum have any experience wit Carshield ?
One of the reasons I went with them is that my local Jeep dealer advertises them in their showroom.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe try a different dealer?
There aren't many choices around here. There is only one Jeep in town. The closest one after that is 30 miles away in the next town. They are a little better. That's it. After that is a cluster of dealers in the Seattle area, 60-100 miles away, which I am not driving to.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase