Sponsored

Extended Seat Options

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I am a big guy- 6'7" 225, I am buying a 2018 JLUR but I am wanting a bit more room. I will be extending the seat with one of the companies that offer the service.
Does anyone have experience with the JKU seat extended options? I know there is "Big Boy Bracket" and "Extend My Seat" brands. Do these seat brackets just move the seat back or does it also drop the seat?

My main concern is to dropping the seat more than moving it back. Any thoughts or examples would be great.
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Nope they just give you about 2" more rearward seat travel. No height difference.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I think this is a big problem with the JL models. (Pun intended).
I anticipate somebody's going to build exactly what we want, a seat extender with a 2" drop, because there is a genuine need for this.
It looks like the JL is a perfect storm for tall people.
  • The seat was raised a bit.
  • The sports bar came forward a little bit.
  • There's less knee room in both directions.
I did not have to buy anything for my JK. That won't be the case this time.

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is a big problem with the JL models. (Pun intended).
I anticipate somebody's going to build exactly what we want, a seat extender with a 2" drop, because there is a genuine need for this.
It looks like the JL is a perfect storm for tall people.
  • The seat was raised a bit.
  • The sports bar came forward a little bit.
  • There's less knee room in both directions.
I did not have to buy anything for my JK. That won't be the case this time.
If you find a solution let me know. I am going to take it down to a local fabrication place once the Jeep is delivered to see what they come up with.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
If you find a solution let me know. I am going to take it down to a local fabrication place once the Jeep is delivered to see what they come up with.
Speak to your insurance people also because it'd be worse if they say you should have told them before, when you need to make a claim.

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
My issue, at 6’5”, is that the top lines of both the center and instrument cluster screens are cut off from view because of how high I sit. My head also just barely touches the sound bar, but the headrest provides a little bit of cushion before I get a good whack on the plastic. The side view mirrors, when aimed outward, lack the upward adjustment for me to see anything but road. If I aim them inward to where I see the rear fenders, I have the adjustment range to be able to see the horizon behind me.

If I could drop the seat about 2” it would be perfect.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In some of the older Miatas people were removing some of the seat cushion bottoms and backs to make more room. They didn't have adjustable steering wheels and the seatbacks were against the back of the cabin.

neilsjoshn

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU silver
I am a big guy- 6'7" 225, I am buying a 2018 JLUR but I am wanting a bit more room. I will be extending the seat with one of the companies that offer the service.
Does anyone have experience with the JKU seat extended options? I know there is "Big Boy Bracket" and "Extend My Seat" brands. Do these seat brackets just move the seat back or does it also drop the seat?

My main concern is to dropping the seat more than moving it back. Any thoughts or examples would be great.
I had the big boy brackets and then had my local shop take two inches out of the rear of the bracket, made a world of difference. Then I traded it in for a JLU rubicon and there are no brackets available yet, I’ve spoke with both companies and extend my seat said they should have something by month end.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The extend my seat brackets look promising. The installation looks simple.

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The extend my seat brackets look promising. The installation looks simple.
But it will only make problems worse if all they do is put the seat back 2". They need to drop the seat and put it back. I will wait to see if they have something next month after mine comes in but if there is nothing then I think I will just have a local shop fabricate some.

Sponsored

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
I do not see a drop happening. Remember, as someone stated above, it is far more than just bending metal. There are airbags to contend with, along with how they are engineered to work. By manipulating the seat path geometry, essentially someone will be taking on the liability (risk) of potential injuries caused by the modification.
I am in total agreement with the OP, the seat on the JL is a bit higher than past generations. Ford used to call it "command seating" so that those not so lucky to be tall could feel tall behind the wheel...

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I do not see a drop happening. Remember, as someone stated above, it is far more than just bending metal. There are airbags to contend with, along with how they are engineered to work. By manipulating the seat path geometry, essentially someone will be taking on the liability (risk) of potential injuries caused by the modification.
I am in total agreement with the OP, the seat on the JL is a bit higher than past generations. Ford used to call it "command seating" so that those not so lucky to be tall could feel tall behind the wheel...
If you are tall and you are rear ended, it would be a better to deal with an airbag designed to hit a shorter person, than to strike the Sports bar with your head. This isn't a roomy thing. Dropping the seat is a safety issue for those of us around 6'7"

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you are tall and you are rear ended, it would be a better to deal with an airbag designed to hit a shorter person, than to strike the Sports bar with your head. This isn't a roomy thing. Dropping the seat is a safety issue for those of us around 6'7"
Could not agree more with this. Vehicles are designed for the average person, those of us who fit outside of the normal range need to do what we can to keep our self safe.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think 2" back would work for me. Even 1".

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

2 inches back is good for leg room, but it will also move your head possibly right on to sport bar. I know some guy will post a picture of himself angled 45 degrees forward and saying, "The sport bar is not an issue, you really gotta want it to be a Jeep guy!"
Sponsored