Extend Width of Stock Fender on JL Sport

kap

First Name
kap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Jeep JL
Hey there - (brand) new to forum... looking for advice. Hate wide fenders, but need to have coverage over entire tire to pass inspection in MA. Looking to do something temporary on our stock fenders -- JL Sport -- for now. Found this 4" extender. Anyone have any experience with it and/or any other thoughts?

https://pacerperformance.com/products-footer/flexy-flares/universal/extra-wide
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Hey there - (brand) new to forum... looking for advice. Hate wide fenders, but need to have coverage over entire tire to pass inspection in MA. Looking to do something temporary on our stock fenders -- JL Sport -- for now. Found this 4" extender. Anyone have any experience with it and/or any other thoughts?

https://pacerperformance.com/products-footer/flexy-flares/universal/extra-wide
Here's some pics of the 1.75 extension I bought next to my sport fenders. Due to the thickness of the rubber, the fender flares are less flexible than the fenders. I'm applying pressure in the second pic to get it to conform to the fender better. In my opinion, they could fit if modified somehow to improve how they conform to the fender surface.
Jeep Wrangler JL Extend Width of Stock Fender on JL Sport jl fender flare 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Extend Width of Stock Fender on JL Sport jl fender flare

OP
OP
kap

kap

First Name
kap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Jeep JL
Here's some pics of the 1.75 extension I bought next to my sport fenders. Due to the thickness of the rubber, the fender flares are less flexible than the fenders. I'm applying pressure in the second pic to get it to conform to the fender better. In my opinion, they could fit if modified somehow to improve how they conform to the fender surface.

Thank you... that’s exactly the configuration I’m thinking of. Not perfect, but might work for now. I saw a video that shows using a coat hangar through the hole to help with conforming the shape of the outside... but won’t help with the fender side edge. Please send pix if u install. I’ll do the same.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that would work. Use a heat gun and get the first screw in and work it as you go. Use a sheet metal screw and possibly put a tiny bit of silicon RTV or similar on the screw threads. Then run wire thru that hole in the outer edge and seal the ends with a little bit of RTV black silicon. Coat the wire with spray silicon lube to get it to slide thru easier. https://www.horsetraileraccessoryst...Washer-Black-Choose-from-3-Lengths_p_751.html

OP
OP
kap

kap

First Name
kap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Jeep JL
I would think that would work. Use a heat gun and get the first screw in and work it as you go. Use a sheet metal screw and possibly put a tiny bit of silicon RTV or similar on the screw threads. Then run wire thru that hole in the outer edge and seal the ends with a little bit of RTV black silicon. Coat the wire with spray silicon lube to get it to slide thru easier. https://www.horsetraileraccessoryst...Washer-Black-Choose-from-3-Lengths_p_751.html
Thank you... great suggestions. Sheet metal screw because of the thread and/or flat head?

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are available with the wire installed. If I use them, I plan on cutting the edge off, so I didn't get the ones with the wire.

Reactions: kap

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The easier and less invasive thing to do would be to put the stock wheels and tires on for inspection.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cut off a small section and took some more pictures, including against JT max tow fenders. It actually matches up better to the max tow fender.
Jeep Wrangler JL Extend Width of Stock Fender on JL Sport extension jl

Jeep Wrangler JL Extend Width of Stock Fender on JL Sport extension jt 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Extend Width of Stock Fender on JL Sport extension jt 2

Sponsored

OP
OP
kap

kap

First Name
kap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Jeep JL
I cut off a small section and took some more pictures, including against JT max tow fenders. It actually matches up better to the max tow fender.

Thanks for these... really helpful. I used to have a TJ with a layered flat fender setup - pic here. I purchased with the extension so never really knew what it was, but I think it was a Husky Liner. Liked the look alot, inspections were not a problem until they got tough on height, and the setup kept everything in good shape. No way this will look that good, but your last pic makes me a little more optimistic.

Flatfender.JPG

Spinrite

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
The best advice I can give is to put mountain bike tires on there it should definately pass that way.

• Haha
Reactions: kap
OP
OP
kap

kap

First Name
kap
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Jeep JL
We finally installed the "flexy flares". See top post for link. They went on in about 2 hours - are solid - and passed emissions. We'd prefer narrow flat fenders, but IMO these don't look too bad on the stock fenders. Thanks for the pix and suggestions. Here's a before and after.

jl.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So you went with the 4" strip? And what is your wheel offset?

I just put 35's on 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset and they throw a lot more debris than I hoped. It looks like this stuff is a pretty good solution to keep stock fenders.

We finally installed the "flexy flares". See top post for link.

Jeep Wrangler JL Extend Width of Stock Fender on JL Sport IMG_2157

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We finally installed the "flexy flares". See top post for link. They went on in about 2 hours - are solid - and passed emissions. We'd prefer narrow flat fenders, but IMO these don't look too bad on the stock fenders. Thanks for the pix and suggestions. Here's a before and after.

I meant to follow up, then lost track of this thread. Good to hear they passed. The extensions are available with a wire on the out side edge, do you think it would help to have the wire to form the extension to better match the shape of the flair?
Sponsored