Sponsored

Extend rear camera with offset rims on spare?

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Have an issue with my new rims in that the negative offset on the spare means the rear camera is picking up the rims and is beeping non stop every time I'm in reverse. Seems the fix is to extend the camera out so it's not in the way? But not sure if this is possible or if there is another solution
Jeep Wrangler JL Extend rear camera with offset rims on spare? 20210826_140727
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
It is possible, but I donā€™t know of any products that do it.
If memory serves me, the camera is screwed onto a bracket that comes back to the lugs. If youā€™re good at metalwork you might be able to make one. Or get someone to make one for you. It might get crushed when you change the spare out though.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Wow that sucks. So everyone with offset rims like this have to deal with the beeping non stop? I wish at least I could turn off the beeping but can't find that option. Could I turn it off with a tazer?

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ, 72 Bronco
Is it the camera or the sensors in the bumper that create the audible signal?
I was told by the dealer that the bumper sensors are seeing the edge of the spare tire. Not convinced that is correct?

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
It is not the camera. It is the sensors in your bumper picking up the tire. You can put a relocation bracket on and that should help it if you are running 35ā€™s. I canā€™t attest to anything bigger than that.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I believe it is a combo of the camera and sensors. Some people were so close they rotated the spare so the valve stem was up top and that stopped their beeping. I have no sources, I just remember reading it.
Aftermarket tire carriers have the potential to fix this. I have one from Maximus-3 and I believe the camera comes out further. DV8 has a tub-mounted cage style carrier that mounts the tire ā€œinsideā€ and places the camera on the back, keeping your factory bumper and sensors intact.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
As has been said, itā€™s the bumper sensors. There is a button on your dash to disable the sensors (it has the P with a hazard symbol next to it I believe) but then you wonā€™t have the function of the sensors anymore.

I would probably consider a relocation bracket.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
As has been said, itā€™s the bumper sensors. There is a button on your dash to disable the sensors (it has the P with a hazard symbol next to it I believe) but then you wonā€™t have the function of the sensors anymore.

I would probably consider a relocation bracket.
It's not the bumper sensors as those go off when I am near something so it's a different beep. It's definitely the camera sensors as noted in that thread above. Also I do have a Mopar bracket relocation but that was installed when I got the 35s. So guess I need to adjust it for the 37s

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Is it the camera or the sensors in the bumper that create the audible signal?
I was told by the dealer that the bumper sensors are seeing the edge of the spare tire. Not convinced that is correct?
Both. The camera and the sensors.
Sponsored