Sponsored

Exposed wires an issue?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
On the stock JLUS plastic bumper - all of the wiring for the fog lights, and the fog lights themselves are secure inside the bumper - nothing is exposed at all except for the when the 1 cable comes out for the fog lights that then goes and plugs up near the engine out of the way.

My new bumper has none of that sort of enclosure. The back of the fog lights with their plugs, and the wires are all exposed - and I'm just wondering if that's an issue if water splashes onto them, or even just constant rain.

I'm just not an electrical kind of guy so - I just want to be sure. There is nothing in any of the bumper instructions about needing to wrap or protect the cables in any way after transferring them in the new bumper so just wondering...

I'll attach a photo of the bumper from the rear - you can see the fog lights and the plugs there... If water splashes onto them is that an issue?

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL Exposed wires an issue? IMG_9456
Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Should be fine. All the connectors are designed to be waterproof since even in stock configuration (inside the plastic bumper), they'd be subject to rain and/or submersion during a water crossing. Actually, the main thing you have to worry about with the wiring no longer being internally secured is preventing physical damage due to abrasion, heat, sharp edges, etc. Keep that extra wiring tucked neatly and securely out of harm's way and you should have no issues. I like to run any exposed wiring inside some sort of protective loom, but that may be more hassle than you're looking to deal with.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Those connections were exposed on JK and it didn’t screw up anything. So my guess is it won’t mater.
Sponsored