Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
yeah the person who installed my Centerforce said “whoever worked on this was an animal” some of them are pretty deep
And was that the original clutch? Or had the stock clutch already been replaced once before?
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
yeah the person who installed my Centerforce said “whoever worked on this was an animal” some of them are pretty deep
And was that the original clutch? Or had the stock clutch already been replaced once before?

OP
OP
Actman

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
This was a replacement, the original failed the test
It looks like they didn't replace the flywheel the first time. If so, that explains why it looks worse than the floater.

OP
OP
Actman

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine was mildly abused, 25k miles-ish if my memory isn't completely shot... had a lot of heat burns but no grinding marks.

2020-04-06 13.28.33b.jpg
Now that shows a bit of heat damage! I have seen a lot worse though. Good thing you swapped it out when you did.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Now that shows a bit of heat damage! I have seen a lot worse though. Good thing you swapped it out when you did.
A lot of that was the result of some stump pulling 😄

It's hard to express in words just how much better this 3.6 is with a proper flywheel behind it

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
Here's my OEM flywheel, friction plate, and floating clutch disk after 15,291 miles. Looked good to me but I'm very happy with my ACT JP6. Install write up to follow soon...

Jeep Wrangler JL EXPLODED JL Clutch! Detailed Look & Testing by Advanced Clutch Technology PXL_20230604_004200739

Jeep Wrangler JL EXPLODED JL Clutch! Detailed Look & Testing by Advanced Clutch Technology PXL_20230604_004019296

Jeep Wrangler JL EXPLODED JL Clutch! Detailed Look & Testing by Advanced Clutch Technology PXL_20230604_003942013

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my OEM flywheel, friction plate, and floating clutch disk after 15,291 miles. Looked good to me but I'm very happy with my ACT JP6. Install write up to follow soon...

Jeep Wrangler JL EXPLODED JL Clutch! Detailed Look & Testing by Advanced Clutch Technology PXL_20230604_003942013

that looks fantastic to me.. but cheers on your superior working clutch

OP
OP
Actman

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I agree. That clutch almost looks new.
Despite affected people saying they’re fantastic drivers, I’m now more convinced than ever that there is an element of user error involved in the exploding pressure plates. Mine wasn’t as new looking as @toothirtyj, but it definitely doesn’t have any signs of damage at 54,000 miles.

No amount of bad technique should cause a fracturing pressure plate, but I’ve read accounts of people grenading at under 10,000 miles. There’s just no way that happens unless you’re slipping like crazy, right?

Really loving my ACT JP6. It’s so much more fun to drive, and easier. Once I log 500 miles on it I’ll be teaching my third and final kid. First two learned on the stock setup, so she’s lucky.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Despite affected people saying they’re fantastic drivers, I’m now more convinced than ever that there is an element of user error involved in the exploding pressure plates. Mine wasn’t as new looking as @toothirtyj, but it definitely doesn’t have any signs of damage at 54,000 miles.

No amount of bad technique should cause a fracturing pressure plate, but I’ve read accounts of people grenading at under 10,000 miles. There’s just no way that happens unless you’re slipping like crazy, right?

Really loving my ACT JP6. It’s so much more fun to drive, and easier. Once I log 500 miles on it I’ll be teaching my third and final kid. First two learned on the stock setup, so she’s lucky.
Nah, your clutch material should catch fire and you roll to a stop way before you manage to generate enough heat to fracture the pressure plate. Definitely a design deficiency not user error.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm under the impression the entire clutch/transmission assembly was just a bad combo. The 2nd gear issues, gear rollover etc but my clutch is still holding up at 56k miles. I've owned more manual trans vehicles than autos over 30 years of driving and they've all lasted 100k+ with just regular maintenance. It's unfortunate. you would think they put a lot of thought into the JL platform. Maybe they thought only city driving/sport owners would want a manual trans?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Nah, your clutch material should catch fire and you roll to a stop way before you manage to generate enough heat to fracture the pressure plate. Definitely a design deficiency not user error.
I hadn’t thought about that. Why doesn’t the friction material catch fire, first? What a strange problem. Happily for me, not a problem I ever have I worry about again!

OP
OP
Actman

Actman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you everyone for the great ACT clutch reviews that have been coming in!
Sponsored