Sponsored

Explaining the Jeep Wave to Non-Jeepers!

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
I just thought this was a funny little story. For backstory, I work in a small team and I am the only 'car' guy on the team (and everyone on my team knows I have two Jeeps and a history of Jeep ownership, haha!). For work, I've been commuting to sites with a coworker who saw me 'waving' at other Jeeps and spoke to my other coworkers about this. One of my other coworkers joked with me about it. My supervisor then (jokingly) said that there was a Jeep parked outside that I had to wave to (there actually was one, that wasn't mine, haha). I had to spend time explaining what a "Jeep Wave" is, and explained the 'rules.'

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Just figured we could use another 'wave' thread!
Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Yeah, I’ve had a few of my non-Jeep buddies ask about it. But really, they think it’s actually pretty neat that wranglers have a “community” sort of. 😊

CWOFOR

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Avalanche/2022 Harley Freewheeler
Occupation
Retired Marine CWO-4
I've had to explain it several times over my 68 years of life and 5 different Jeeps. But, most of my explaining has been to Jeep owners. Sadly some members of our community just don't get it.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Yes, and I have to explain that we (Wrangler owners) don’t wave at all “Jeeps” only Wranglers (and Gladiators now, which is mostly considered a Wrangler pickup), as when we say Jeep, at least in my area, we mean Wranglers - as when we talk about any other Jeep we call them their model name, such as Grand Cherokee.

Scott

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Back in the day the wave was an easy thing as there just weren’t many Jeeps around. A long day you’d see two or three. Todays sometimes it seems every 4th or 5th vehicle is a JEEP. Very different thing these day..

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
It’s overfill free oil changes that takes 3 hours on appointment.
Yeah, I "auditioned" my local Jeep dealership with that first free oil change. They did 6 quarts and I haven't been back since.

One of the things that I did not expect when we bought our Jeep is just how into Jeeps my kids would get. They LOVE looking at other Jeeps and waving to them. That's made it all that much more fun. They've enjoyed having a Jeep just as much as we have.

I work with ZERO "car people" at work so I hardly ever get to actually talk about cars on a regular basis though one person has asked me if I "do the wave thing". Everyone comes to me with their car issues though since they know I like cars. :facepalm:

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Tell him you wave at empty, parked Jeeps too and that it's a mild form of tourettes. Just sounds easier to explain, lol 👋 ;)

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Self-employed
When my wife first noticed I waved at lots of other Wranglers and Gladiators she thought I was goofy. She then noticed they were waving back and said “I feel like we are part of a cult now....”
It’s like how motorcycle riders have their wave, just a friendly gesture of “we like the same style of vehicle!”
Sponsored