Sponsored

Explained: Why Dealers Are Confusing 2018 JKU Orders for Next-Gen 2018 JL Wrangler

CassieMitchel

First Name
Cassie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Weird.. Ordered a 2017 unlimited in exteme purple end of September, the order guy didn't get to ordering it till 1st week of october..called me to tell me he could no longer order a 2017 that it would be a 2018 and $89 more.. on-ramp date was originally Nov. 9th.. Called to say it is now Oct. 31st.. verified again it was a 2018.. He is the Sales Manager... So confused
JKJM74. Just got a copy of the order
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think it is safe to say that the next generation of Jeep Wrangler JL's will be 2019 models.
NO.

They will be 2018s until next summer.

cctvtec

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Sahara, Incoming '18 JLU Rubicon
We noticed that several users have encountered dealers who claim they can now place orders on the new 2018 JL Wrangler.

Please note that as of today (August 25, 2017) and likely until October-November you can NOT and will NOT be able to place an order on a next-generation 2018 JL Wrangler (as opposed to the 2018 JK/JKU Wrangler).

Here is the reason behind the confusion:

The 2-door JK Wrangler has always been labeled "JK" in FCA's internal dealer systems while the 4-door JK Wrangler Unlimited is given the "JL" label. It's been this way for the past 10 years.

Of course, as you all know FCA decided on the "JL" vehicle program code for the next-gen JL Wrangler and since it is being sold concurrently with the 2018 JK Wrangler, it is causing confusion among some dealerships who are not understanding that the "JL" they see listed in their systems (and can place orders for) is actually a 2018 JK Unlimited.

1.jpg

Here is a recent dealer allocation screen. Notice that the "WRANGLER 4DR (JL)" actually refers to the 2018 JKU. You can see the corresponding JK Wrangler build codes (e.g. JKJM74, JKJP74, etc) next to it.

And when in doubt, have them verify the specific model/trim codes. We've already seen the 2018 JL Wrangler model codes in the dealer system screenshots.

Next-Gen 2018 JL Wrangler model codes:
JLJL72 - Wrangler Sport
JLJS72 - Wrangler Rubicon
JLJL74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sport
JLJP74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
JLJS74 - Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

2018 JK Wrangler model codes:
JKJL72 - Wrangler Sport
JKJP72 - Wrangler Sahara
JKJS72 - Wrangler Rubicon
JKJM74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sport
JKJP74 - Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
JKJS74 - Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

It goes without saying this means dealers are able to place orders for the 2018 JK right now.

Rest assured, we will let everyone know when dealers can begin placing orders for the 2018 JL Wrangler.

Just placed my order for the new JLU yesterday, have my confirmed VON# in hand.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Another point of potential confusion.

Check out the VIN for this 2018 JK. The last two letters, just before the 6 sequential numbers, is, wait for it, "JL". In other words, the last-8 in the VIN's for 2018 JK's, are JLxxxxxx"

loco

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrangler 2dr sport S
Another point of potential confusion.

Check out the VIN for this 2018 JK. The last two letters, just before the 6 sequential numbers, is, wait for it, "JL". In other words, the last-8 in the VIN's for 2018 JK's, are JLxxxxxx"
The JL in the vin# stands for the location of the jeep plant in Toledo. Not that the JK is a JL. I ordered a 2018 JK which had the JL in the vin #. I first thought I was getting a JL until I looked up the spot in the vin which had the JL and it was the location of where the new JK's are built. My dealer who did not realize this until the JLJL74 build entered there system last week. They will sell the JK I ordered on their lot. I will be ordering a 2018 JLU when they get the pricing for the options which they do no have yet. I see a lot of people now ordering the JL without pricing who are willing to pay whatever the MSRP will be. I will not do this until I get MSRP pricing and option pricing.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
The JL in the vin# stands for the location of the jeep plant in Toledo. Not that the JK is a JL. I ordered a 2018 JK which had the JL in the vin #. I first thought I was getting a JL until I looked up the spot in the vin which had the JL and it was the location of where the new JK's are built.
Yea, you can see why it can cause confusion, and IMHO, having "JL" in the VIN of an '18 JK, fits well into that category.

Are you sure that the "JL" means the Toledo plant, because the VIN of my '14, has "EL"?

loco

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, you can see why it can cause confusion, and IMHO, having "JL" in the VIN of an '18 JK, fits well into that category.

Are you sure that the "JL" means the Toledo plant, because the VIN of my '14, has "EL"?
I looked up the position of the "JL" on the vin # of the 2018 Jk I ordered. That position indicates the location of the manufacturing plant. You realize that Jeep has reconfigured which plants make which jeeps. Your vin was in 14' not 17'. Look it up the vin with the EL and it will tell you which plant built your 14'. You can see from the forum administrator's postings that the factories have been reconfigured this year to build the JL, the JK and next year the jeep truck, JT. Also if you look up the vin number of the people on this forum who just ordered a JL it should not have the JL in that space. The code for the 2018 JL is JLJL74 for a wrangler sport JL. Not the same code for a JK. There are at least 3 jeep plants in Toledo. Each one has a different code.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I looked up the position of the "JL" on the vin # of the 2018 Jk I ordered. That position indicates the location of the manufacturing plant. You realize that Jeep has reconfigured which plants make which jeeps. Your vin was in 14' not 17'.
ALL JKs were made in the SAME Toledo South plant, the production JL is made in Toledo North (most mules were made at Toledo South).
No JK is made in Toledo North. Also once JK production stops long after the JL is up and running, only then will they retool that line for the JT, not before.

L is for the ENTIRE Toledo Supplier Park (ie North AND South), but the A or J does not signify a different plant or configuration, it signifies the YEAR. So the 2014 is year ā€˜Eā€™ and 2018 is year ā€˜Jā€™, unfortunately that 2018 + Toledo combo makes the last 11 preset digit JL before the serial number is added afterwards.

There are at least 3 jeep plants in Toledo.
NO, there are only two, NORTH and SOUTH, in between them there are the supplier complexes and paint shop.

You can see the current VIN decoding from the NHTSA VIN site we were all so interested in a few weeks ago which spells it all out for you;

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/39585

Walt is correct.. of course.. the combination of the Year and Plant make the VIN very Very misleading for people who donā€™t know better, and if looking at stock on the lot (or online) they may assume JL in the VIN standards for a Wrangler JL especially since all the 2018 JL(U)s will also have that same ending in their VINs, but all it stands for is a 2018 model Jeep from Toledo so it will apply to both models for the 2018 MY.

loco

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALL JKs were made in the SAME Toledo South plant, the production JL is made in Toledo North (most mules were made at Toledo South).
No JK is made in Toledo North. Also once JK production stops long after the JL is up and running, only then will they retool that line for the JT, not before.

L is for the ENTIRE Toledo Supplier Park (ie North AND South), but the A or J does not signify a different plant or configuration, it signifies the YEAR. So the 2014 is year ā€˜Eā€™ and 2018 is year ā€˜Jā€™, unfortunately that 2018 + Toledo combo makes the last 11 preset digit JL before the serial number is added afterwards.

NO, there are only two, NORTH and SOUTH, in between them there are the supplier complexes and paint shop.

You can see the current VIN decoding from the NHTSA VIN site we were all so interested in a few weeks ago which spells it all out for you;

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/39585

Walt is correct.. of course.. the combination of the Year and Plant make the VIN very Very misleading for people who donā€™t know better, and if looking at stock on the lot (or online) they may assume JL in the VIN standards for a Wrangler JL especially since all the 2018 JL(U)s will also have that same ending in their VINs, but all it stands for is a 2018 model Jeep from Toledo so it will apply to both models for the 2018 MY.
Sponsored