Explain to Old School guy my Tech features

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just bought my JLUR last month. It has the 8 1/2" display with the Alpine system. It is my/our first vehicle with CarPlay and Android Auto many other tech features.

I'm 62 and my wife is the same age. If I could impose on those of you more knowledgeable in tech, what features besides the normal Navigation and phone call stuff is cool and is something that I can learn to use? We've never had a vehicle with with Android Auto or CarPlay and really don't know what the capabilities are. Our other vehicles are couple 2014 GMs and 2013 Ford, which are just prior to those features.
Sponsored

Kheroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU Rubicon
I just bought my JLUR last month. It has the 8 1/2" display with the Alpine system. It is my/our first vehicle with CarPlay and Android Auto many other tech features.

I'm 62 and my wife is the same age. If I could impose on those of you more knowledgeable in tech, what features besides the normal Navigation and phone call stuff is cool and is something that I can learn to use? We've never had a vehicle with with Android Auto or CarPlay and really don't know what the capabilities are. Our other vehicles are couple 2014 GMs and 2013 Ford, which are just prior to those features.
My personal favorite is an app called "Waze" that plays off of my iPhone with CarPlay. Its a very strong GPS app that allows people to report changing road conditions i.e. if there is a cop ahead or a person on the side of the road so you can be prepared a half a mile ahead of time or click a button on your screen to let the next person know what they're coming up on.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Don't know if you do a lot of texting, but setting it so that your incoming texts pop up is nice. I'm an IT pro so tend to do "tech support" for my family (including 70+ y/o family members) so if you have some questions I'm definitely happy to help a fellow Jeeper! :like:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Honestly, sitting in your driveway and playing around with it will help you learn a lot. Connect you phone via cable to the jack in the Media outlet below your screen. Then go wild and kind of figure it out hands on.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Honestly, sitting in your driveway and playing around with it will help you learn a lot. Connect you phone via cable to the jack in the Media outlet below your screen. Then go wild and kind of figure it out hands on.
I would agree, but...

I'm absolutely not trying to be offensive at all, but some "older" people don't really know what today's technology is even capable of, which I assume is what @roaniecowpony is getting at.

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just tried to go to every menu and press every button to see what it does. I learned a lot by just messing around.

JLU4TJ

One of the big benefits of Apple Car Play is that just like on your phone when not plugged in, you can use the MAPS app to direct you to places versus the car's navigation. In other words, while I love the NAVI in my car...typing in addresses is a pain but with AppleCarPlay, you can open MAPS, type a contact name and you're off. You can also do this while the vehicle is in motion...or at least your passenger can.

The down side though is...sometimes if you're up in the mountains or somewhere that Cell Signal is low, you won't be able to rely on that MAPS application to get you somewhere whereas the built in NAVI in the car is always reliable.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

The features of your display are a combined set of things built into it like the ability to invoke the back up camera even when not in reverse, and a subset of a connected smartphone's technology that the display can reproduce via Android or Carplay software. This can include navigation, making and received calls hands free via voice commands, and viewing/responding to texts: which should wait until your rig is parked anyway, I believe.

Candycrush: (a game app) not likely to every appear on the rig's display, and probably best that it doesn't.

Equally important I'd familiarize myself with the on board diagnostics shown above the steering wheel. From battery voltage, to tire pressure, to gas mileage, much useful on board information is available.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I appreciate all the input. Please keep em coming.

I'm tech challenged, but not totally zero tech. I had figured out bluetooth linking my android phone, my wife's iPhone, and had the ORP up, rear view cam while driving, normal Nav, Sirius radio and garage door opener. Some of the capabilities of the system I just don't know about.

What does Wave do? What is within the "Uconnect" system?

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would agree, but...

I'm absolutely not trying to be offensive at all, but some "older" people don't really know what today's technology is even capable of, which I assume is what @roaniecowpony is getting at.
No offense taken. Please elaborate on what you're familiar with. Like I said, I can use the phone and garage door opener, Nav, tire pressure, gauges, and rear view while driving. But it gets pretty fuzzy beyond that.

Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Your XM radio will allow you to save your favorite artists and songs. Next time you hear one of them playing, hit the little button on the right side of the radio screen that says "Fav" (maybe "Favorite", I'm not looking at it right now). A second box will pop up asking if its one of your favorite songs or favorite artists. Once you've made your choice, your radio will scan every single XM channel constantly, and if that song or artist is playing, even on a channel you're not currently listening to, it will alert you to that in a yellow pop up at the top of the screen

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apple Car Play and Android Auto are great, you regain a lot of functionality that is lost when you just use bluetooth for your phone. For example, over bluetooth, you can easily make phone calls, but you can only view and listen to text messages. When using ACP or AA, you can dictate a response to a message using the voice controls of the Jeep. Personally, I think using AA is a much more intuitive, useful way of connecting your phone to the Jeep. The only drawback is that to use those features, your phone HAS to be plugged into the Jeep via a USB cable. slightly annoying. I use the USB port in the center console and route the cable out to the cup holder phone slot

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks all. I recall these discussions on the GM Truck forum, where I'm a moderator, when the 2015-16 models came out with ACP and AA. The GM vehicles require a USB cable connection also, and everyone was annoyed back then too.

Can anyone explain what "Wave" is?

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all. I recall these discussions on the GM Truck forum, where I'm a moderator, when the 2015-16 models came out with ACP and AA. The GM vehicles require a USB cable connection also, and everyone was annoyed back then too.

Can anyone explain what "Wave" is?
Jeep Wave is a program your dealer probably set you up with which gets you free oil changes, tire rotations, and other general maintenance for the first two years. You'll also get special benefits at Jeep sponsored events, such as Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, should you choose to attend. Check out this link

https://www.jeep.com/jeep-wave.html

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Is there a app I need to download on my phones to connect with ACP and AA? A brief rundown of the setup would be helpful.
Sponsored