Experience with Oracle Lighting Switchbacks

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
So I installed a set of switchbacks on my JL Sport and I am intermittently getting a "Right side turn signal out" message.
I have installed the load resistors supplied, and actually re-installed them without the supplied harness to make sure they are making a good connection, but still, intermittently - like 50% of the time, will get the warning. I've emailed vendor and they want me diagnose the problem by swapping stuff out (load resistors, bulbs).
I'm lazy and it's 105 degrees out and I don't have a garage!. If people have had good experience with the Oracle switchbacks (which, they claim, don't require a load resistor), I might just buy those and screw the ones I've got (with a less than glowing review included). ;)
Let me know if the Oracle switchbacks are the real deal.
Sponsored

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
So I installed a set of switchbacks on my JL Sport and I am intermittently getting a "Right side turn signal out" message.
I have installed the load resistors supplied, and actually re-installed them without the supplied harness to make sure they are making a good connection, but still, intermittently - like 50% of the time, will get the warning. I've emailed vendor and they want me diagnose the problem by swapping stuff out (load resistors, bulbs).
I'm lazy and it's 105 degrees out and I don't have a garage!. If people have had good experience with the Oracle switchbacks (which, they claim, don't require a load resistor), I might just buy those and screw the ones I've got (with a less than glowing review included). ;)

Hey Mike, sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with the switchbacks. This thread here has many other forum members' opinions, many great experiences. Our technical team is available to assist you quickly so you aren't sweating in the sun for too long; please give us a call or email!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Somebody was selling a set of lightly used Oracle switchbacks in the member's "for sale" thread for $40 shipped. Might want to check it out.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I’ve had Oracle switchbacks running since November, no issues, no load resistors.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So with the Oracle version of the switchbacks installed, and no load resistor, the white running lights will be on if I turn the light switch to the first position correct? Then when flasher is on it just blinks amber. That's the way my current ones work. I just want to get rid of the "Turn Signal Out" message. I read the other thread and a lot of people are wiring DLR, but I don't want to do that if they come on when I turn the switch to the park light position.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So with these installed, and no load resistor, the white running lights will be on if I turn the light switch to the first position correct? Then when flasher is on it just blinks amber. That's the way my current ones work.
Any decent set of switchbacks should not require a load resistor. They should have what is needed built in. To answer your question, yes that is how swirtchbacks work.

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the Oracle switchbacks installed and they seem fine. Not as bright for the white driving light, but no flasher out warning. The white LEDs stay on when the flasher engages. Doesn't bother me and so far they work fine.

a23persaud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys (JLU)
I got the Oracle switchbacks installed and they seem fine. Not as bright for the white driving light, but no flasher out warning. The white LEDs stay on when the flasher engages. Doesn't bother me and so far they work fine.
Hey Wolfy, I just wanted to check back on this, as I’m looking to upgrade my Willys single bulb (Sport style) fender lights to an LED switchback. Any issues with hyper-flashing without the resistors?

Does the white light work for you if your lights are in the “Auto” position? I’m hoping these Oracle switchbacks will work as DRLs in combination with my LED headlights, which have the LED halo ring around them.

When exactly does the white light in the switchback bulbs come on? Is it as a DRL? When the headlights are on in low beam? Both of these?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Andrew

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wolfy

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, no load resistors on mine. They come on when the switch is in the second position and I'm pretty sure they will work as DRLs if wired the same as your halo's. I don't have them wired for DRL so I can't answer your last two questions. Sorry.

GatorMBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
So I'm watching all these videos on how to install switchbacks and I have really basic question.

All of the videos show people just swapping out the outside-most bulb in their fender. Edit: Yikes, I tried showing the URLs to the youtube videos just for reference, but it turned my post into an unholy mess of embedded vids. Deleted!

But my 2020 Sahara has two bulbs per side -- one amber and one white:
Jeep Wrangler JL Experience with Oracle Lighting Switchbacks PXL_20210426_234128480

Jeep Wrangler JL Experience with Oracle Lighting Switchbacks PXL_20210426_234602049

I feel like what's implied in these videos -- but never said explicitly -- is that I need to replace both the white and amber bulb in each fender to achieve the switchback look. (Meaning I need to buy four switchback bulbs.)

Or could it be that switchbacks only work with Sport trim, since they're single-bulb?

Thanks!

(@ORACLElights , appreciate any advice you have. :) )

Last edited:

DamnLed

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
So I'm watching all these videos on how to install switchbacks and I have really basic question.

All of the videos show people just swapping out the outside-most bulb in their fender. Edit: Yikes, I tried showing the URLs to the youtube videos just for reference, but it turned my post into an unholy mess of embedded vids. Deleted!

But my 2020 Sahara has two bulbs per side -- one amber and one white:
Jeep Wrangler JL Experience with Oracle Lighting Switchbacks PXL_20210426_234602049

I feel like what's implied in these videos -- but never said explicitly -- is that I need to replace both the white and amber bulb in each fender to achieve the switchback look. (Meaning I need to buy four switchback bulbs.)

Is this correct? Thanks!

(@ORACLElights , appreciate any advice you have. :) )
Id like to know aswel, have a 2020 Sahara too!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Or could it be that switchbacks only work with Sport trim, since they're single-bulb?
Correct. Switchbacks replace a single bulb that has multiple functions. With a single bulb setup, the bulb normally has 2 filaments. One lights up with the parking lights, the other lights up with the turn signal. The LED switch back does the same, except lights up white with the parking lights and amber with the turn signals.

With a 2 bulb setup, you can replace the bulbs with LEDs but do not need switchback since you already have 1 bulb for the parking lights and another for turn signals. You can get a set like these. Or you can go with individual bulbs like this and this.

GatorMBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Correct. Switchbacks replace a single bulb that has multiple functions. With a single bulb setup, the bulb normally has 2 filaments. One lights up with the parking lights, the other lights up with the turn signal. The LED switch back does the same, except lights up white with the parking lights and amber with the turn signals.

With a 2 bulb setup, you can replace the bulbs with LEDs but do not need switchback since you already have 1 bulb for the parking lights and another for turn signals. You can get a set like these. Or you can go with individual bulbs like this and this.
Makes sense. Thanks!
Sponsored