Expedition One Trail Series 2 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier installed

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited -- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
I just installed the Expedition One trail Series 2 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier this past weekend and wanted to share some thoughts since there seems to be little information about them here on the forum.

Quick notes: 1. the large nut that holds the swing arm to the bumper is 1 7/16 inch. You will need to purchase a socket in this size. Only $12 on Amazon
2. The bolts that hold the bumper to the frame are different sizes. Stock bolts have a 21mm head you can use them if you want. if you want to use the bolts that come in the kit they are 22mm. There is a 3rd bolt on each side that is a SAE size and that one is a 15/16 size. You will need to make sure you have these sizes in combination wrenches since there is not enough room to get a socket + wrench in there. these wrenches cost like $7 on amazon if you need them.

3. you will need to purchase something to mount your 3rd brake light. I got one off of amazon that uses the stock light pretty cheap and it works great.

4. The E-1 web site mentions that the stock wheel and tire will not fit, this is due to the large back spacing. the mount for the wheel is adjustable and I am happy to report that it mounts up with no issues. I think it would even fir if I had 35's on the stock wheels if I added a 1/4 inch spacer between the wheel and mount.

Here is the good, the shipping and packaging was excellent. It arrives on a pallet in a huge box with tons of foam. The foam is in bags so there is no residue to scrape off of the bumper. The powder coat is nice looking and matches my front bumper perfectly. It is a good looking bumper that checked off everything I was looking for:
  • Full width bumper that actually looks good and matches up with the lines of the rear fenders.
  • rear flood lights built in
  • frame mounted tire carrier
  • mount for the license plate
  • provisions to mount the back-up sensors
  • Can use the stock hitch or have a 2" receiver built in

The bad:
1. The instructions are pretty bad. There are large gaps in the information for example it completely skips how to mount the little arm that connects the carrier to the tailgate other than saying to install it. I tried emailing Expedition one for more information and all they would do is send me instructions for a toyota tacoma's bumper which did not help at all, when I mentioned this they said they would get back to me. It has been like 6 weeks and nothing yet. I tried calling and spoke to 2 people but received no information. I tried posting in the E-1 sub forum and they never responded. I hate to bash an American company but they charge a significant premium over foreign bumpers yet their CS is not responsive.

2. There is no parts list so you can make sure you received everything. I eventually found I was missing 2 rubber bump stops and the license plate bracket which they did mail out to me fairly quickly

3. it has the holes for the sensors and instructions mention that you need to buy the bezels for a JL steel bumper to mount them Part numbers: 6MH85RX-FAB-BEZEL-PAR, 6MH84RX-FAB-BEZEL-PAR, 6MH83RX-FAB-BEZEL-PAR, 6MH82RX-FAB-BEZEL-PAR
I purchased them and when I tried to mount the sensors they flopped around and would not secure to the bumper. Looking on Quadratec {they have the install instructions for many bumpers right on the site} and other brands mention that you need the above outer bezels AND there is also an inner part called the bezel retainer that needs to be purchased and installed as well. The instructions for "Go Rhino" bumpers are really good and explains this. Right now I have the 4 sensors held into the bumper with rubber bands and had to pay Quadratec $45 to overnite the $2 bezel retainers. the part numbers are:
1 12112 3036 MOPAR BRACKET SENS MOUNTING 68295602AB 2.99
1 12112 0297 MOPAR BRACKET SENS MOUNTING 68295601AC 2.49
1 12112 0299 MOPAR BRACKET SENS MOUNTING 68295600AB 1.99
1 12112 0295 MOPAR BRACKET SENS MOUNTING 68295603AC 1.99

they arrive tomorrow so I will post later if this solves the issue.
20200309_085216-X2.jpg

Last there is a little lock on the swing arm that clicks in while it is open so the tailgate does not swing shut by its self. Mine does not work, no click. Not a big deal since I would not use this feature anyway.

20200309_085629-X2.jpg

Yes I know that it sounds like I am hating on this bumper but I really like it. It is a clever design, built like a tank, the fit and finish are good, and it looks great.

20200309_085439-X2.jpg

20200309_085450-X2.jpg

20200309_085455-X2.jpg

20200309_085511-X2.jpg

20200309_085641-X2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Great write up, thank you for posting!!!

I am a HUGE fan of this bumper sans the tire carrier. I posted a question directly to @Expedition One on how well the rear sensors work with their steel trail series two full width bumper and never received a response.

So I’m holding out until I hear from them. :devil:

It was a toss up between them and RockHard4x4’s rear bumper because it looks so clean but I really didn’t want to buy another relocation bracket for the tire carrier since I just picked up the mopar one.

SeanS

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice write up. I have this bumper as well and agree, the instructions were horrible. Like yours, ours does not lock at that full extent either (never quite goes far enough it looks like to grab the little notch. However, I've never had any issues with it, including now with a 37" tire. For third brake light, we did like you and have the big LED ring behind the tire.

We did not end up having any problems with the factory mounted trailer hitch. Sorry to hear you had issues, but sounds like you'll be able to take care of it. I had contacted them about the stock wheel / tire, and they said the information was actually for their previous model, the series 2 like you found out is adjustable to allow it to work just fine.

For the rear sensors, I did do the inner/outer bezels and it keeps the sensors nice and secure. On mine, I believe I ended up installing some of them upside down relative to what they were in my factory plastic bumper. This reduced (but did not get rid of) the false positives it gets.

With the license plate mount, be careful if you go through an automatic car wash. Ours ended up bending the mounting plate and folding it downwards. I couldn't believe it. I now have it setup so that I can quickly (couple minutes) completely remove the license plate, mounting plate, and disconnect the wiring to the light.

When we first got the bumper, there was also some annoying noises when we opened / closed it. We've since found the correct locations to add some grease to (in the rubber bushings where the bolts go through for the little arm that connects the swing to the door, as well as greasing the vertical bolt in your last picture that is supposed to end up locking the door in place when fully open).

Overall, we've been very pleased with the bumper and would recommend it as well. Here's a link to pictures of our front/rear bumper:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2824/page-60#post-758462

OP
OP
Dadgummit

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sensors on mine have been working perfectly even with the rubber band mounting. The inner bezel brackets arrived last night, I will get them installed asap.
Also mine has been creaking like a haunted house every time it moves so I am going to have to grease it, What kind of grease did you use?

SeanS

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just used the same marine grease as was needed for the spindle bearings.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dadgummit

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update. I remounted the sensors with the inner bezel brackets and they fit perfectly. If you are purchasing this bumper please make sure to buy the 4 outer sensor bezels AND the 4 inner bezel brackets.

Also I remounted the trailer hitch and it fit with no issues at all. Not sure what the issue was but it was obviously my mistake, I removed mention of it in the original post.

Expedition One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota, Jeep, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Dodge
Great write up, thank you for posting!!!

I am a HUGE fan of this bumper sans the tire carrier. I posted a question directly to @Expedition One on how well the rear sensors work with their steel trail series two full width bumper and never received a response.

So I’m holding out until I hear from them. :devil:

It was a toss up between them and RockHard4x4’s rear bumper because it looks so clean but I really didn’t want to buy another relocation bracket for the tire carrier since I just picked up the mopar one.

Hey @Notorious ! We would love to help answer your questions. Our bumpers do work with OEM sensors for the JL. As a note, the quality of sensors has improved year over year and the 19+ model year vehicles have signicifantly higher quality sensors which equates to better usability and less likelihood of false feedback.

I am not sure where you posted your question as I cannot find it, but shoot us an email [email protected] if you have anymore questions!

Expedition One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota, Jeep, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Dodge
Hey @Dadgummit !

Thank you for the feedback! We appreciate hearing how much you like our bumper and the in-depth analysis.

We also appreciate hearing how we can improve, it has been noted that the install instructions are not up to par and we are working on those and improving them as we receive feedback. So this helps forsure.

If you have any other questions please email in at [email protected] I will get them answered.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
This review sealed the deal for me. I will not be buying this bumper. It was on my short list of two companies but the lack of clear installation instructions and missing parts killed it for me. I just don’t have the time to deal with poor documentation and bad customer service. These are basics in my opinion.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Would really like to see you owners with any accessories mounted on. Hi lift, jerry can, maxtrax are my main wants.
@sarum87 have you chosen another bumper yet? I have not

OP
OP
Dadgummit

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the hi-lift mount a few weeks ago. Once it comes in I will update this thread.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I really liked their bumpers and they were on my short list. The very long lead times quoted killed it for me. Still think they are great bumpers.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at the LOD Destroyer bumper but understand it has issues with back up sensors not working. I'm waiting to see what AEV comes out with.

OP
OP
Dadgummit

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the hi-lift mount a few weeks ago. Once it comes in I will update this thread.
Well.... I ordered this:
https://expeditiononestore.com/products/vertical-hi-lift-mount

After 6 weeks I received my shipping notification.

and received this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Expedition One Trail Series 2 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier installed 20200516_175727-X2

This is a horizontal hilift mount for a toyota FJ.

I really did order the right part, here is my confirmation:
Jeep Wrangler JL Expedition One Trail Series 2 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier installed hilift-L

somehow my order was changed in their system from a Jeep to a Fake Jeep.....

Jeep Wrangler JL Expedition One Trail Series 2 Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier installed 20200516_181703-L

Well I gotta say I am not impressed with these guys right now, hopefully they can make this right... again...
Sponsored