Exhaust heat shield & over heating interior rear cargo area

Jeep392_Doc

First Name
Javi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Jeep Wrangler 392 & Gladiator High Altitude
Has anyone else had this issue: Rear interior cabin area floor board & metal cargo rails/track system extremely hot to touch.

200 mile road trip, 3.5 hours with 1 stop to refuel and take my dogs out to stretch their legs.
I noticed both Irish Setters creeping up towards the back seat area towards the end of the trip. I layed down one of the rear seats to give them some extra room and had my son in his car seat.

When we got to our destination I noticed the dogs blanket/throw eminating a lot of heat. I touched the metal rail system by chance and was shocked to how hot it was. Legit almost gave my 70 lbs setters a heat stroke, after the 3.5 hr trip.

Now Iā€™m researching exhaust heat sheilds, wraps, etc.. Even Dinomat for the floor area to help shield it, even though I know itā€˜s intended for reducing road noise and encasing stereo soundā€¦ Canā€™t find anything for the 392. Iā€™m even worried that overtime it will start to warp the plastic bins under the carpet?

Would appreciate any suggestionsā€¦ Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Has anyone else had this issue: Rear interior cabin area floor board & metal cargo rails/track system extremely hot to touch.

200 mile road trip, 3.5 hours with 1 stop to refuel and take my dogs out to stretch their legs.
I noticed both Irish Setters creeping up towards the back seat area towards the end of the trip. I layed down one of the rear seats to give them some extra room and had my son in his car seat.

When we got to our destination I noticed the dogs blanket/throw eminating a lot of heat. I touched the metal rail system by chance and was shocked to how hot it was. Legit almost gave my 70 lbs setters a heat stroke, after the 3.5 hr trip.

Now Iā€™m researching exhaust heat sheilds, wraps, etc.. Even Dinomat for the floor area to help shield it, even though I know itā€˜s intended for reducing road noise and encasing stereo soundā€¦ Canā€™t find anything for the 392. Iā€™m even worried that overtime it will start to warp the plastic bins under the carpet?

Would appreciate any suggestionsā€¦ Thank you in advance.
You might consider taking it to a reputable muffler shop and see what they think. That mall crawler adjustable tone muffler would be the first thing I'd replace if I owned one. A good shop might be able to build you a cat back exhaust or if you're stuck on the OE muffler maybe they could build you some better heat shields.

OP
OP
Jeep392_Doc

Jeep392_Doc

First Name
Javi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might consider taking it to a reputable muffler shop and see what they think. That mall crawler adjustable tone muffler would be the first thing I'd replace if I owned one. A good shop might be able to build you a cat back exhaust or if you're stuck on the OE muffler maybe they could build you some better heat shields.
Appreciate the feedback šŸ‘šŸ» & apparently the plot thickens lols The floor boards under the driverā€™s & passengerā€™s sides are equally scorching under the rubber mats and carpet as well. This ridiculous that Jeep didnā€™t insulate the vehicle.
I found a kit online from: https://hotheadheadliners.com/products/sound-assassin-2018-2021-jeep-wrangler-jl

I think the issue is going to be the install fee šŸ¤Æ ā€¦ it lines the entire floor board but improves heat and sound / rattles.
Anyone else done this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Exhaust heat shield & over heating interior rear cargo area D805DF60-B03D-4BE1-AF1A-F700A4C539A4

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
This doesn't sound normal. Did you take it to the dealer?

Sponsored

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Appreciate the feedback šŸ‘šŸ» & apparently the plot thickens lols The floor boards under the driverā€™s & passengerā€™s sides are equally scorching under the rubber mats and carpet as well. This ridiculous that Jeep didnā€™t insulate the vehicle.
I found a kit online from: https://hotheadheadliners.com/products/sound-assassin-2018-2021-jeep-wrangler-jl

I think the issue is going to be the install fee šŸ¤Æ ā€¦ it lines the entire floor board but improves heat and sound / rattles.
Anyone else done this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Exhaust heat shield & over heating interior rear cargo area 53415117-64BC-4477-B587-1F76321AE6EE
I installed Thermo Tech Cool Mat a few times on vehicle builds. A ton of work but worth it in the end. Having a heat barrier ceramic coating on the exhaust would also help.

Hayabusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392 XR
Holy crap! That is nuts. Love how forum members quickly reply with suggestions for a fix that look like they will work.

Also have to ask...are others experiencing this too or is this a one off situation caused by...??? what??? I've owned 3 Wranglers (2 JLUR's) and never had this issue.

Love6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Uh oh, my dog gets hot easy and will do road trips often. Was your exhaust closed?

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I have never experienced this issue on my 2-door Rubicon 3.6

perhaps the OP should share:

What modifications he did
Was he towing something on the road trip
Was it hot/cold outside
Was the HVAC on hot/cold for the trip
Did Priyanka Chopra sit in the back?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep392_Doc

Jeep392_Doc

First Name
Javi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have never experienced this issue on my 2-door Rubicon 3.6

perhaps the OP should share:

What modifications he did
Was he towing something on the road trip
Was it hot/cold outside
Was the HVAC on hot/cold for the trip
Did Priyanka Chopra sit in the back?
Again, thank yā€™all for the feedback and suggestions! Really appreciate it and the thorough breakdowns šŸ™ŒšŸ»
Now on to why this Jeep Vā€™s othersā€¦ The 6.4L 392 engine runs very hot compared to the V6 variant. Our gladiator never gets these temps under the driver or passenger floor board. I drove a mixture of having the valves open & closed with the 392ā€™s exhaust system, and it still ran extremely hot. No mods yet and the a/c was on cold (lowest setting). Dogs are Irish setters. Itā€™s a bit sad to think after TTL of close to 80k I have to worry about insulating the entire floor board and running ceramic coating on the exhaust.
I guess a positive will be reduced road noise, and may extend this into the doors & top. I have the upgraded headliner and need to see if I can remove it to place some thermal cooling / noise reduction coating in the space in between šŸ¤”

Hayabusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392 XR
Thanks for the info Jeep392_Doc! Watching to see if other 392 owners experience the same.

Won't be a deal breaker for me on my order but good to be aware of and a disappointment for sure. I have a Giant Schnauzer who'll be riding back there occasionally and won't be too happy with the excess heat. My ice cream coming home from the supermarket won't like it either :(.

Please keep us updated as to your next steps.

Love6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I am going to try an insulated blanket first and see how that goes. There are also insulated blankets that are more like a tarp for those that have dogs that shed or make a mess. Cheap and easy and might do the trick?

FWIW even in my Golf R hatchback , the car runs super hot above the muffler on longer trips. It is an aftermarket exhaust so that may be a factor, but I feel like all vehicles run hotter on long trips above the muffler, will have to see how hot the 392 gets.

Last edited:

boxs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BMW X4M Comp, 21 Rubicon 392
Occupation
Done working!
Just got home from an 1+ hour trip with my dog. I have a furniture pad down in the back and it doesn't seem any warmer than my 2018 JL. Maybe that's too short a ride but I really don't notice any difference with the 392 as far as heat.

Boxs

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The 3.6 does the same thing when wheeling out in the desert all day, it's that giant muffler sitting under the tub like a big ass heater. I shitcanned mine and it's much better back there.
Sponsored