Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Everyone,

We just purchased a 2021 JLUR with the 3.0 diesel.

Reading through the operating manual there is a section on the diesel messages.

One caught my attention. It is the "Exhaust Filter Nearing Full". Basically it states that during short duration of slow speed driving cycles the filter may load up. It goes on to say that driving at highway speeds for a certain period of time will clear the filter.

This raises concerns about using the diesel on trails when slow speed is the norm. (Or, perhaps Jeep isn't making the distinction between slow speeds and low RPMs. Running higher RPMs in low range may not be considered as slow speed.)

I'm just wondering what experience other diesel owners can share about trail conditions with the diesel.

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not to worry. Mine is just about a year old. I live on a small island and most of my driving is low speed. A regen will start about every 200 miles or when soot load reaches 80 and run until complete or until vehicle is shut off. If you don't have a scangauge to tell you when a regen starts, watch for idle RPM up about at 1000 and a slight odor. The exhaust gas gets very hot during a regen (1500 deg. F).

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I think most people will never or rarely ever see this message. If you do see it on a trail I suppose it could become problematic depending on how the programming is setup.

I would imagine an issue could arise if you were constantly shutting down during a regen (in town driving only) and this happened say 10 times in a row. The system then measures the restriction, calls for a regen and gives you the warning message that pertains to what you read in the manual. Might be such that after a few too many uncompleted regens, you will see limp mode and the dealer might have to do a forced regen.

Which is why so many of us run something to monitor regen status. If you regularly drive on the highway/freeway and or have a longer commute, I don't think there is much to worry about. But for anyone who constantly short trips, it could easily become an issue.

So yeah a constant short tripper that goes wheeling 2 miles from their house, and the wheeling is on slow speed tight trails. Might not turn out so well at some point in time.

^^^ All speculation of course.

OP
OP

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look for something to help me monitor regen status. I haven't searched the forum. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to monitor regen?

On a separate issue, do you have any information about when Superchips may release a device for a JL with the diesel motor? (I won't really need a programmer for the basics like tire size until early summer. I know the Tazer offers some capabilities... just not sure if it would be better to wait on the Superchips.

All good advice. I appreciate your help.

Jeff

OP
OP

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jeff,

Not to worry. Mine is just about a year old. I live on a small island and most of my driving is low speed. A regen will start about every 200 miles or when soot load reaches 80 and run until complete or until vehicle is shut off. If you don't have a scangauge to tell you when a regen starts, watch for idle RPM up about at 1000 and a slight odor. The exhaust gas gets very hot during a regen (1500 deg. F).
Thanks for your input. I didn't see your message until after I replied to Roy's message.

I found a thread on the forum regarding Scangauge. I'll take a closer look. (One of the first questions I'll try to answer is about how something like Scangauge works Tazer of Superchips.)

Thanks again for your input about the regen status. My last three trucks have been Duramax powered. The regens are hard to detect unless you are really paying attention.

Take Care,

Jeff

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I think most people will never or rarely ever see this message. If you do see it on a trail I suppose it could become problematic depending on how the programming is setup.

I would imagine an issue could arise if you were constantly shutting down during a regen (in town driving only) and this happened say 10 times in a row. The system then measures the restriction, calls for a regen and gives you the warning message that pertains to what you read in the manual. Might be such that after a few too many uncompleted regens, you will see limp mode and the dealer might have to do a forced regen.

Which is why so many of us run something to monitor regen status. If you regularly drive on the highway/freeway and or have a longer commute, I don't think there is much to worry about. But for anyone who constantly short trips, it could easily become an issue.

So yeah a constant short tripper that goes wheeling 2 miles from their house, and the wheeling is on slow speed tight trails. Might not turn out so well at some point in time.

^^^ All speculation of course.
That makes sense. Now the question is, is there a device (scanner or something) that I can buy and keep in the Jeep, that will let me start a forced regen on my own without limping to the dealership? That would be useful :idea:

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have a 2016 GC diesel and after the so called emissions upgrade the jeep started throwing regeneration in progress. The first time this happened the jeep went into limp mode and I had to have the dealership do a forced regeneration. I now see the regeneration about once a week or so. Driving at highway speeds clears it in about 30 miles.
On the 2020 JLURD I have never seen the message in 16,000 miles. I think that the regen is running in the background.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
On the 2020 JLURD I have never seen the message in 16,000 miles. I think that the regen is running in the background.
There is no indication on the dash for regen. That's why people are using the Scan Gauge to monitor. Mine turns on at 80% like clockwork.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look for something to help me monitor regen status. I haven't searched the forum. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to monitor regen?

On a separate issue, do you have any information about when Superchips may release a device for a JL with the diesel motor? (I won't really need a programmer for the basics like tire size until early summer. I know the Tazer offers some capabilities... just not sure if it would be better to wait on the Superchips.

All good advice. I appreciate your help.

Jeff
I use a scangauge to monitor regen status and an AEV PROCAL SNAP to adjust tire size.

I don't have any information about actual tuning/tuners.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes sense. Now the question is, is there a device (scanner or something) that I can buy and keep in the Jeep, that will let me start a forced regen on my own without limping to the dealership? That would be useful :idea:
Not to my knowledge.

Sponsored

WILDDUX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Diesel
I use a Banks Idash on all of my diesels, they work flawlessly. The Idash will allow you to perform a forced regen, Iā€™ve never had to do it though.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I use a Banks Idash on all of my diesels, they work flawlessly. The Idash will allow you to perform a forced regen, Iā€™ve never had to do it though.
Good to know, thanks a ton for sharing

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forced regen on a 3.0L Jeep ecodiesel?