Exhaust drone, just me?

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU RHR / 2021 Ruby 392
If you're on the highway and don't like the sound of 4 cylinder mode, bump the + paddle to go into 8th gear manual mode. That locks out 4 cylinder mode which removes the weird drone that's exacerbated in that mode. When just putting around I will also hit my - paddle to keep it in one gear higher since the transmission likes to go into the highest gear possible to save fuel. That removes most of the drone and keeps the engine at the proper rpm. If it still annoys you, then hit the button on the dash as you're just in a funky mood at the moment and nothing, even the intoxicating sound of a 392 V8, can make you happy lol.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
also insulated headliner should help a bit?

grizzjeeper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
When in manual mode it locks the gear selected on mine, doesnt act the same way say on my powerwagon where manual mode sets the highest gear. So makes it kinda useless unless your going to manual shift all the time to defeat 4cl mode. Are you saying yours behaves different?

If you're on the highway and don't like the sound of 4 cylinder mode, bump the + paddle to go into 8th gear manual mode. That locks out 4 cylinder mode which removes the weird drone that's exacerbated in that mode. When just putting around I will also hit my - paddle to keep it in one gear higher since the transmission likes to go into the highest gear possible to save fuel. That removes most of the drone and keeps the engine at the proper rpm. If it still annoys you, then hit the button on the dash as you're just in a funky mood at the moment and nothing, even the intoxicating sound of a 392 V8, can make you happy lol.

Sponsored

grizzjeeper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL
As far as drone I definitely notice it. I also think its going in and out of 4cyl mode more than the dash displays. Sounds exactly like my powerwagon does with exhaust when its in 4cyl mode...

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
They need to make a tuner that disables MDS. I also had a Power Wagon and like Grizzjeeper said in the Power Wagon all you need to do it manually select the highest gear and it disables mds snd shifts automatically. With Jeep’s software (my wife’s V8 Grand Cherokee is the same) if you do this it locks the selected gear. Not a bad option but as Grizzjeeper says, you need to be constantly manually selecting the gears if you are driving around town. MDS disable is the only option but not sure what turner if any will do it for the 392 Rubicon. Personally, when I get on the highway I press the exhaust button to go off. It’s cool to have the loud exhaust during start up for a while but damn I’m getting old my head and ears were starting to hurt after long drives with it on lol

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU RHR / 2021 Ruby 392
When in manual mode it locks the gear selected on mine, doesnt act the same way say on my powerwagon where manual mode sets the highest gear. So makes it kinda useless unless your going to manual shift all the time to defeat 4cl mode. Are you saying yours behaves different?
If you hit the - paddle, it goes into manual mode and will downshift one gear from what you're currently in. If you hit the + paddle, it goes into manual mode but stays in the current gear.

Manual mode stays in the gear you place it until your outside of the rpm range for the selected gear you're in. For example, if you're on the highway in 8th gear then come off the ramp to a slow roll it will automatically shift down to 2nd or 3rd gear. It will only shift to 1st when you come to a complete stop.
Sponsored