Sponsored

Excited to become a part of the JLWF community!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello to all from Clayton Off Road! We’re excited to finally take some time out to get more involved with you online (better late than never) and to join the JL Wrangler Forum community. For those of you who maybe are not familiar with us, we are a Jeep only suspension systems and parts manufacturer with products ranging for all the way back to a 1984 “XJ” Cherokee, to the brand new 2020 “JT” Gladiator.

We’ve proudly been making the toughest Jeep suspensions available since 2001 and have since grown our business primarily through word of mouth. Those that are familiar with our company can tell you that we’re known for our excellent customer service, unbeatable product durability and quality, and will probably refer to us as “the square tube control arm guys.” That would all be accurate.

Since this is a JL Wrangler forum, please feel free to check out our wide range of JL products currently available here. Whether you’re in the market for a full lift, or just some high-quality control arms and track bars, we’re confident we can help in some way to make your Jeep more capable than ever.

We look forward to sharing with you product information, products we’re currently working on, and answering any general questions you might have. Make sure to also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube as we are always posting new content.

- James and the Clayton Off Road Team

Clayton JLWF Picture 2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Hello to all from Clayton Off Road! We’re excited to finally take some time out to get more involved with you online (better late than never) and to join the JL Wrangler Forum community. For those of you who maybe are not familiar with us, we are a Jeep only suspension systems and parts manufacturer with products ranging for all the way back to a 1984 “XJ” Cherokee, to the brand new 2020 “JT” Gladiator.

We’ve proudly been making the toughest Jeep suspensions available since 2001 and have since grown our business primarily through word of mouth. Those that are familiar with our company can tell you that we’re known for our excellent customer service, unbeatable product durability and quality, and will probably refer to us as “the square tube control arm guys.” That would all be accurate.

Since this is a JL Wrangler forum, please feel free to check out our wide range of JL products currently available here. Whether you’re in the market for a full lift, or just some high-quality control arms and track bars, we’re confident we can help in some way to make your Jeep more capable than ever.

We look forward to sharing with you product information, products we’re currently working on, and answering any general questions you might have. Make sure to also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube as we are always posting new content.

- James and the Clayton Off Road Team

Clayton JLWF Picture 2.jpg
Is this an actual 2.5" lift on Loaded Rubicon, or based on sport? The pictures on your site are hard to tell from.

Also, what are the differences between the control arms on the overland and premium lifts? It looks like the Premium lift has more travel, but can't find any specs.

Last do you have recommended control arm lengths for the 2.5" lift for an optimum caster in front and driveline angle in rear? I know it will need a good alignment, but having a good starting place would be helpful.

I was looking for a good set of square LCAs to replace my Mopar lift LCA I have on now, really liking what I see.

MikeV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ, 10 WK, 16 DJ
Is this an actual 2.5" lift on Loaded Rubicon, or based on sport? The pictures on your site are hard to tell from.

Also, what are the differences between the control arms on the overland and premium lifts? It looks like the Premium lift has more travel, but can't find any specs.

Last do you have recommended control arm lengths for the 2.5" lift for an optimum caster in front and driveline angle in rear? I know it will need a good alignment, but having a good starting place would be helpful.

I was looking for a good set of square LCAs to replace my Mopar lift LCA I have on now, really liking what I see.
Looks like the overlanding arms use dual derometer bushings on both ends while the premium uses a johnny joint style on one end only, might be a better ride quality on the street and less road noise with the overlanding ones

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the overlanding arms use dual derometer bushings on both ends while the premium uses a johnny joint style on one end only, might be a better ride quality on the street and less road noise with the overlanding ones
Yeah, that was the part I thought from the looks, but it does not give tech specs on the overlanding set as far as how much misalignment etc. The pictures look like there is a big difference in flex, but may not be so drastic. I prefer the set that rides better and has less nvh as long as it performs as well as others with similar ends. I have always like the Clayton arms, and they have one of the best warranty for breakage.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Great questions!

The 2.5" kits will actually get you closer, and maybe even slightly over 3" of lift on both the Rubicon and Sahara/Sport models. I'll include a few pictures for you with some better angles and of a Rubicon and Sport next to each other, both equipped with our 2.5" lifts.

The differences between our Overland Plus and Premium Series control arms really comes down to the joints. Our Overland Series arms use our Giiro Joints, which feature our free pivoting, self-lubricating, self-centering, silent in operation and maintenance free Giiro bushing. If that all sounds great it's because they really are your best of both worlds bushings. Our Premium Series arms on the other hand, feature a Johnny Joint on one end of the control arm, and is more geared towards somebody who first of all knows that they want a Johnny Joint because they're a tried and tested joint, and is also somebody who wants a joint that's grease-able and rebuild-able. Hopefully that helps, you really can't go wrong with either of our systems!

We do have recommended control arm lengths for all of our lifts that will provide you with optimum caster and drive line angles. We actually created a chart that we've had tons of great feedback on, that I will also attach for you here. It will also provide you with our recommended track bar lengths.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help, and thank you for considering Clayton! - James

2909025A_3.jpg

3009025X_1.jpg

View attachment 278079

View attachment 278080

Screenshot (15).png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Exactly right sir! :beer:

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Great questions!

The 2.5" kits will actually get you closer, and maybe even slightly over 3" of lift on both the Rubicon and Sahara/Sport models. I'll include a few pictures for you with some better angles and of a Rubicon and Sport next to each other, both equipped with our 2.5" lifts.

The differences between our Overland Plus and Premium Series control arms really comes down to the joints. Our Overland Series arms use our Giiro Joints, which feature our free pivoting, self-lubricating, self-centering, silent in operation and maintenance free Giiro bushing. If that all sounds great it's because they really are your best of both worlds bushings. Our Premium Series arms on the other hand, feature a Johnny Joint on one end of the control arm, and is more geared towards somebody who first of all knows that they want a Johnny Joint because they're a tried and tested joint, and is also somebody who wants a joint that's grease-able and rebuild-able. Hopefully that helps, you really can't go wrong with either of our systems!

We do have recommended control arm lengths for all of our lifts that will provide you with optimum caster and drive line angles. We actually created a chart that we've had tons of great feedback on, that I will also attach for you here. It will also provide you with our recommended track bar lengths.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help, and thank you for considering Clayton! - James

2909025A_3.jpg

3009025X_1.jpg

View attachment 278079

View attachment 278080

Screenshot (15).png
This type of response is exactly why I have always liked Clayton! Not only did you answer my question, you went above to actually include additional information that others would have withheld.

your springs may be a bit too tall for my needs, but Everything else will be perfect. Thanks again for the information.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This type of response is exactly why I have always liked Clayton! Not only did you answer my question, you went above to actually include additional information that others would have withheld.

your springs may be a bit too tall for my needs, but Everything else will be perfect. Thanks again for the information.
Appreciate that! We always like to take the time to educate and inform our customers as we find it leads to a better result once the product is in your hands.

As for the springs, we usually like to give customers that extra half of an inch or so in order to compensate for any settling or extra weight that may be applied to the vehicle. We find that our 2.5" springs fit perfectly on a Sport/Sahara with 35's and on a Rubicon with 37's. That being said, if you feel like our springs wouldn't be the right choice for your build then there is definitely no shortage of manufacturers that will have what you're looking for! Either way with a set of our control arms your Jeep is headed in the right direction!

2909025F.jpg

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate that! We always like to take the time to educate and inform our customers as we find it leads to a better result once the product is in your hands.

As for the springs, we usually like to give customers that extra half of an inch or so in order to compensate for any settling or extra weight that may be applied to the vehicle. We find that our 2.5" springs fit perfectly on a Sport/Sahara with 35's and on a Rubicon with 37's. That being said, if you feel like our springs wouldn't be the right choice for your build then there is definitely no shortage of manufacturers that will have what you're looking for! Either way with a set of our control arms your Jeep is headed in the right direction!

2909025F.jpg
I plan to run a small 35" tire (K02) and with the Rubicon a 2.5" lift and that combo is a little off to me. If I was planning to run 37" tires there is no question that the springs would work great. Ideally, a true 1" spring with maybe a 1/2" leveling spacer would work great, but outside of Eibach not sire anyone makes one for the 4 door. I have an artificial knee and getting in and out much higher than 1.5" lift with taller tires is pretty tough. I may just buy the complete lift anyways, but want to see a JLUR with the 2.5" and 35s first. All your pictures with 37s look amazing like I originally said, just a little taller than ideal for me.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I plan to run a small 35" tire (K02) and with the Rubicon a 2.5" lift and that combo is a little off to me. If I was planning to run 37" tires there is no question that the springs would work great. Ideally, a true 1" spring with maybe a 1/2" leveling spacer would work great, but outside of Eibach not sire anyone makes one for the 4 door. I have an artificial knee and getting in and out much higher than 1.5" lift with taller tires is pretty tough. I may just buy the complete lift anyways, but want to see a JLUR with the 2.5" and 35s first. All your pictures with 37s look amazing like I originally said, just a little taller than ideal for me.
By no means do we want you to have a hard time getting in and out of a vehicle, I can see if I have any photos of a JLUR on 35's with 2.5" of lift so you see what it looks like, but like i said if those springs are too tall for what you need then the arms and track bars alone are an amazing upgrade!

Sponsored

Oldfart

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB
Build Thread
Link
I’m in the same boat. I have a MOAB and never intend on going bigger than a 315/70-17 K02. For me, a 1”-1 1/2” lift would be perfect. Synergy makes a 1” higher spring, but I prefer to buy everything from one vendor, preferably Clayton Overland kit.

OP
OP
Clayton Off Road

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m in the same boat. I have a MOAB and never intend on going bigger than a 315/70-17 K02. For me, a 1”-1 1/2” lift would be perfect. Synergy makes a 1” higher spring, but I prefer to buy everything from one vendor, preferably Clayton Overland kit.
While it's possible in the future a 1 1/2" kit could be in the cards, 2.5" will probably be the lowest we go to start out with. Our kits can always be purchased without springs for those that maybe just want a solid upgrade to factory arms and track bars! We're happy to help your builds in any way we can :like:

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What steering components do your recommend that work well with your lift setup?
Sponsored