Sponsored

Excessive Trapped Water in Exhaust/Potential Muffler Drainage Issues

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Hey everyone,

Since purchasing my Jeep last summer I sometimes experience white smoke coming out of the exhaust at start up.

The smoke can be thick, but I think it's water trapped in the muffler for the following reasons:
  • Exhaust smells normal
  • Engine oil looks/smells fine. Level doesn't change between oil changes
  • Coolant level doesn't appear to be moving
  • The smoke clears after about a minute
  • The issue seems to correspond with rainy/wet driving conditions, or after the Jeep has been washed
I think the water is specifically in the muffler because it takes about a minute for the smoke to appear, which could potentially imply that the source of the steam is kind of far away from where the heat is generated.

My driveway is at an angle which might be preventing the muffler's drainage from working. The angle isn't extreme, but I was tipped off to this the day after I washed my Jeep and drove up to my mailbox (which is on level ground). As it was smoking, water was absolutely pouring out of the drainage seam.

Does anyone have any suggestions for approaching this issue? I'm considering drilling a JK style drainage hole where I suspect the water could collect while sitting in my driveway.

Thanks

Additional Details: 2020 JLU Sport S, 2.0T, only use premium, stock exhaust, first Jeep :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
SnowyJeep

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
What about parking so the drain hole is facing down hill??
Thanks for your suggestion!

The drain hole is in the middle of the muffler so I'm not sure if the water will just pool on the opposite side, but parking in the opposite direction is probably the best thing to try first.

OP
OP
SnowyJeep

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
You could possibly drill a tiny weep hole on the very end of the muffler.
Thanks for the idea, that's pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Here's a couple pics of what's currently there. I wonder if perhaps adding one to the other end would be a good idea as well. 🤔

Jeep Wrangler JL Excessive Trapped Water in Exhaust/Potential Muffler Drainage Issues _large-pic
Jeep Wrangler JL Excessive Trapped Water in Exhaust/Potential Muffler Drainage Issues _close-u
Sponsored