First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I'm trying to decide the amount of wheel offset needed for 37's on a Rubicon. It seems 4.5" backspacing would fit on lifts with most articulation (MS, RK, etc), but that results in a tire that extends about 2.5" farther than the stock tire&wheel.

Aside from the mechanics of what will fit, have any of you local PNW folks been ticketed or pulled over & warned for tires extending beyond your fenders?
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
"(1) Except as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, no person may operate any motor vehicle, trailer, cargo extension, or semitrailer that is not equipped with fenders, covers, flaps, or splash aprons adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water or mud from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle. All such devices shall be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least to the center of the axle."

Enforcement is another issue, I'd try it, but I'm a rebel. I think if you did get a ticket all you'd have to do is mount up some mud flaps.

Starboard M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Im on the east side, and have only had my 37s on for ~6 months, but I have not had any tickets (yet). Covid has certainly cut down on my driving though, so thats certainly a small sample size.

I also dont have a front plate either, but dont tell anyone.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
have any of you local PNW folks been ticketed or pulled over & warned for tires extending beyond your fenders?
I sure hope so. Please don’t be one of those guys. I and my windshield thank you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I sure hope so. Please don’t be one of those guys. I and my windshield thank you.
For the sake of other drivers and my own paint, I'd rather have the tires fully covered, but the lifts that offer the most articulation seem to favor a 0 or negative offset. Frequent vehicle code violations might push me to a different lift...or mud flaps.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Having your tires stick out is illegal here. I ended up adding extensions to my stock fenders to make me legal. I don't have a proper picture, but these three show the extensions a bit. It's not the prettiest thing I've seen...

Front bumper coverage is also a law, so I cut my (POS) Rugged Ridge HD bumper and made the ends bolt on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Excessive Tire "Poke" Enforced? IMG_71301
Jeep Wrangler JL Excessive Tire "Poke" Enforced? IMG_71311
Jeep Wrangler JL Excessive Tire "Poke" Enforced? IMG_71291

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Having your tires stick out is illegal here. I ended up adding extensions to my stock fenders to make me legal. I don't have a proper picture, but these three show the extensions a bit. It's not the prettiest thing I've seen...
Thanks GBR. How do those extensions attach to the stock fenders? Do they screw into the plastic fender liners?

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks GBR. How do those extensions attach to the stock fenders? Do they screw into the plastic fender liners?
Rivets, but yeah.

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
and how many of those do they sell at $800 a set?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have put fifty plus thousand miles on my Jeep wheeling and driving in 28 states with zero issues.

I run a -3.5 backspace so my tires stick out even more than the -4.5.

Pic for what -3.5 looks like,

1628341695729.png

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just to wrap this up for others who may be curious, I ended up with some 8.5" wide, 0 offset wheels. I have about 1" of tread beyond the fenders, but I'm also running Rokblokz XL mud flaps on gravel roads or easier to protect my paint & other peoples' windshields.
Jeep Wrangler JL Excessive Tire "Poke" Enforced? 20210910_141909
Sponsored