Sponsored

Excessive Heat in the Engine Compartment and Batteries

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I was just curious and was needing everyones thoughts on this subject. I know many of us are having premature battery failures, and cant help but think the heat might be a part of it. I know that after a drive, and the hood is opened, almost everything under the hood is very hot to the touch, and there is no open spaces for the heat to dissipate. Maybe a hood with louvers could help?? Maybe different types of batteries??
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I was just curious and was needing everyones thoughts on this subject. I know many of us are having premature battery failures, and cant help but think the heat might be a part of it. I know that after a drive, and the hood is opened, almost everything under the hood is very hot to the touch, and there is no open spaces for the heat to dissipate. Maybe a hood with louvers could help?? Maybe different types of batteries??
I know in the Summer, each time, I pull my JL into the garage, where air flow/cross ventilation is less/compromised, I do pop open the hood (Thank you, Redline Tuning Hood Lift) on the JL and leave the hood open til the engine compartment temps become lower.

Popping the hood only takes a second and I figure it can only help prevent ......

Maybe, I'm a tad gun shy, as I had my bright white grill on my JL, turn partially yellow, thanks to excessive heat emanating from the engine compartment that affected an iffy white coating on the grill.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
2017 - Jeep Cherokee - 2+ years of ownership, not one issue with my battery or aux battery. I turned ESS on and off all the time.
2019 - Wrangler - 11 months in, nothing but problems on every drive. I am headed to the airport here in an hour for work. We shall see what happens. Sunday night, I drove to the airport to scoop my wife. Low 70's, raining, 11 PM - Less than 5-minutes from the airport, Start/Stop service required kicks on. My drive to the airport is 40 minutes (35 miles), interstate for 30 miles of it. I wasn't sitting in stop and go traffic, so I can't see temp being an issue in this scenario.

I originally thought temp may be the issue. Temp 99, feels like 108, stop and go traffic, AC on full blast. I've seen it on two different ends of the spectrum.

I'd bet the aux battery doesn't have enough juice to keep up with function and main battery's performance. I had zero problems with the Cherokee.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 - Jeep Cherokee - 2+ years of ownership, not one issue with my battery or aux battery. I turned ESS on and off all the time.
2019 - Wrangler - 11 months in, nothing but problems on every drive. I am headed to the airport here in an hour for work. We shall see what happens. Sunday night, I drove to the airport to scoop my wife. Low 70's, raining, 11 PM - Less than 5-minutes from the airport, Start/Stop service required kicks on. My drive to the airport is 40 minutes (35 miles), interstate for 30 miles of it. I wasn't sitting in stop and go traffic, so I can't see temp being an issue in this scenario.

I originally thought temp may be the issue. Temp 99, feels like 108, stop and go traffic, AC on full blast. I've seen it on two different ends of the spectrum.

I'd bet the aux battery doesn't have enough juice to keep up with function and main battery's performance. I had zero problems with the Cherokee.
@ToPar9

Sounds like you are fighting the shortcomings of the JL so to speak versus learning how to deal with them. No you should not have to learn to deal, but.....

Reality is thousand and thousands and thousands of 3.6 JL's and JT's, are out there and most all, of those thousands, are not in the same boat as you, so to speak.

Yes, I got my 2018 3.6, JL right after they became available and I had issues lets say regarding the JL's battery(s) set-up... I had a no start event and more... So, I did my homework and came up with a plan.

I run with just the Main battery. Easy to do with just a simple $9.00+- bypass jumper. Also, if my JL is going to sit for say 10 days or more it gets hooked up to a battery tender/ maintainer.

Anyway, 2 years now almost, ... running with just the Main. "Knock on wood", no more battery(s) related issues. Hope it stays that way til I ditch the JL in next year.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
@ToPar9

Sounds like you are fighting the shortcomings of the JL so to speak versus learning how to deal with them. No you should not have to learn to deal, but.....

Reality is thousand and thousands and thousands of 3.6 JL's and JT's, are out there and most all, of those thousands, are not in the same boat as you, so to speak.

Yes, I got my 2018 3.6, JL right after they became available and I had issues lets say regarding the JL's battery(s) set-up... I had a no start event and more... So, I did my homework and came up with a plan.

I run with just the Main battery. Easy to do with just a simple $9.00+- bypass jumper. Also, if my JL is going to sit for say 10 days or more it gets hooked up to a battery tender/ maintainer.

Anyway, 2 years now almost, ... running with just the Main. "Knock on wood", no more battery(s) related issues. Hope it stays that way til I ditch the JL in next year.

Any good instructions on how the bypass is done??

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)