Sponsored

Excessive bowing issue with Mopar lift kit springs for JL

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Look like mopar beadlocks, but what size, and brand, tire is on that?
Sponsored

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
While @JeepCares has the best of intentions...lets not hide the fact that if you have a current kit you need to have the lower front pads replaced. This is comparing Apples to Oranges; it is not fair to compare a currently sold kit to a kit which has a fix in place.

Just look at the video a little closer...The video again is implying there are more install issues than kit issues which is just crazy. If that were the case, why did they use the unreleased correction pad to highlight that the kit is perfectly normal? Those are NOT the pads that are in the currently sold Mopar lift... So in essence you are showing us what our kits could look like had they actually had a fix in place.

Great video but really guys? Why would you make a video highlighting a product that we do not really have in hand... Use the pad we all have then show your spring bow...Bad form fellas!!

Current Perch Spring in Production

defect p.PNG

Mopar Video Spring Perch

Spring p2.PNG
spring.PNG

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad I checked this thread out. I was going to buy the Mopar kit but I think I'll pass.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
We have an informational video for everyone regarding the installation of the Jeep Performance Parts 2” Lift Kits. It will give a brief overview of what amount of bowing is to be expected.
Creating this goofy marketing video on top of the recent revisions to the installation instructions for this kit do not make the spring bow acceptable. At all. Every other manufacturer in the universe has made lift kits with springs that don't bow and they're just as capable of "clearance under all operating conditions and all suspension articulation." Hell, even the guy uttering that statement doesn't believe it as it comes out of his mouth. Just look at him.

C'mon. Stop insulting the intelligence of your customers. It's not doing you guys any favors and it makes people question the confidence and reliability of your products. RK has already got a fix for this and you guys are right behind them.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep just released a TSB for this issue, but they're claiming the problem results in a "clicking noise." This just keeps getting better and better.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Jeep just released a TSB for this issue, but they're claiming the problem results in a "clicking noise." This just keeps getting better and better.

I have been dealing with a clicking noise very similar to what was described in that video but I have the stock suspension. I'm wondering if it is the isolator... I hope so as thats an easier fix.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Appreciate the video and an explanation for the curve in the spring before its installed but was hoping for something that showed what or what was not acceptable regarding the bow after installation. Obviously rubbing the bump stop is a problem but would love for JEEP to create a diagram that shows the acceptable limits of bowing.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been dealing with a clicking noise very similar to what was described in that video but I have the stock suspension. I'm wondering if it is the isolator... I hope so as thats an easier fix.
Clicking noises and pops can sometimes be suspension components that are torqued too tight or are binding. The solution is actually quite simple: untighten and retighten the bolts of things such as control arms, trackbars, shocks, swaybar links, etc, by starting them off while the vehicle is lifted in the air, then torque them down to spec when its on the ground.

This is not an uncommon thing with shops that'll torque everything when the vehicle is still on the lift, which is a no-no. Since yours is happening on a stock vehicle, it could be a bind somewhere from a single bolt or the exact opposite, where a bolt is loose and you've got play in a suspension component that's moving around when you drive.

Regardless of the lift or not, you should definitely get that fixed under warranty. However, my point with the above TSB in relation to the lift kit is that this "clicking noise" is certainly a great excuse to replace the spring isolator to solve the bowing problem instead of admitting the spring isolator design was flawed to begin with.

Last edited:

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I am still wondering if mopar has updated the kit? Have the part numbers changed?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
I am still wondering if mopar has updated the kit? Have the part numbers changed?
Wondering the same.. I'm still shopping for a lift. If they have it fixed and available it's on the maybe list. If not, might have to spend a little more with EVO.

Jlnew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity QX56
Here is a picture of my stock drivers side spring and after the 2" Mopar lift. Lots of bow...
20180514_192457.jpg
20180517_174255.jpg

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
This is for the folks who are having problems with their Mopar 2” lift and for the folks thinking about getting this lift for their JL.

What a load of crap!

Depending on either the driver or passenger side problem. Their is a major problem with the Mopar lift. If it is the drive side. The front coil spring hits the bump stop evertime you hit a small bump. If it’s the front passenger side, it hits the steering knuckle.

Now Mopar is fully aware of this problem and have issues a replacement spring pad.
Who the hell knows when it will be here? Maybe this year? No one really knows!

How much of your valuable time are you going to have to spend to get this part?

You will have to make an appointment at your local dealership, drop you JL off for the day. The dealership will have to confirm there is a problem. By the way a drunk monkey with a grenade could confirm their is a problem, it’s hitting the dam bump stop! Yet after dropping off your JL, picking up your JL and losing a complete day, time of going back and fourth, the parts department will let you know that part is on back ordered and they have no ideal when it will be in!
When it comes in your going to have to make another appointment!

Seriously!

Julie from Jeep care had messaged me about using a aftermarket company’s part that fixes this problem right now!. “That this could VOID your warranty!”
Hay Julie, how about you folks from FCA reimburse me for my time?

What a load of crap!

By the way the noise it makes evertime you hit a bump is downright annoying.
Take it off road and it is nonstop making noise, sound like a a can full of rocks!
Nothing like dropping over $70k on a Jeep to have it sound like a junker while off road!

If I had to do it over again I would just wait until Mopar or the aftermarket companies get their shit together. Currently you cannot trust Mopar for being a good product.

Unreal waste of my time!

BEF5C646-591D-4855-AA4C-97E1C4EF2DF7.jpeg

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a picture of my stock drivers side spring and after the 2" Mopar lift. Lots of bow...
20180514_192457.jpg
20180517_174255.jpg
Yep, that one is pretty bowed... You can cut the pads in the kit or wait for the new Mopar pads... Or put in the Rock Krawler pads. I would put in the RK pads and be done with it for $30.

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Who going to pay to get this replaced my Dealer sent me out to get mine on dealer said they didn’t put lift on sent me to Top gun custom So am I going to have to pay to get this problem fixed
Sponsored